PDA

View Full Version : Is Muppets3-D in line for upgrade?

Gator
12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this attraction and I think the film is great, along with all those 'cheap 3D tricks". But with the Muppets gaining online fame with their version of Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm wondering if maybe the studio is gearing up to make more movies and potentially a new version of Muppets 3D. Not that it's needed, but it would be cool, I think.

JabberJaws
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
You are right that since Disney took creative ownership of the Muppets they have had plans to reignite them as a viable entertainment franchise. I had heard that they do plan on even going so far as to put out a new muppet show, though I don't know of where that stands as of now.

The viral marketing of the muppets is getting ramped up to create some renewed buzz.

As a result, I would not be surprised at all to see an all new film (complete with new effects, upgraded sound/technology, etc.) come into Muppets 4D.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any specific plans or a timeframe, but being that it doesn't take a lot of time or money to upgrade 4-D films like this, I could certainly see it happening.

Incidentally I just hope they don't change the preshow. By far and away one of the single most underrated preshows in themepark history.

"And now, the Three D's!!"
"Hi, I'm Doris."
"I'm Dina."
(in a gruff voice) "I'm Max. Debbie was sick, so the union sent me."

Classic.

jwildflower1981
12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I think Honey I Shrunk the Audience needs to be the very 1st 3-D movie update!

JabberJaws
12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Incidentally, Captain EO is making a comeback at both WDW and DL next year, and I believe will be taking over the HISA show buildings.

The Capt. EO comeback is said to be temporary, but I have my doubts that they will bring back HISA after it is over. Probably use this opportunity to replace it with a new 3-D show since the Honey I shrunk the kids reference is a bit outdated and lost on most of the younger generation.

MaxPower
12-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I saw MuppetVision last week and I can remember when people waited over an hour to see this attraction. Now it is always half-filled at most. That's sad, because it's a great attraction. ( And it's actually funnier when the theater is filled and there is more reaction.)

What struck me last week was that the film was really kind of "faded looking." I think they need to make a new print of the movie- or maybe put in a new projector bulb.

With all of the repeated showings, it just needs a little sprucing up.

Also, I think when they tried to make Bean Bunny a new popular character, they failed. They should have stuck with the tried and true chracters. Bean Bunny and Waldo eat up too much time.

Also, take a look inside the MuppetVision Theater sometime- it's really a great theater with a lot of detail.

Gator
12-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Maybe with a completely different theme. I know somebody will hate this, but maybe make a Cars 3D film. It's really popular right now and will be for year to come. They should get Pixar to do a new film.

BigThunderFan
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I love the Cars idea Gator! They could make it similar to the 50s Prime Time, so there would be multiple "cars" that people would sit in, but still be in the same theater. Kind of like Star Tours, but lots more people can be there at one time.

BMan62
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Get Brian Henson involved and spiff up the entire area!! The fountain is neat and the Muppets 3D building is neat, but a lot of the surrounding buildings could be made to fit much better with the Muppet theme.

JMHO

BowTie7
12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Has the Florida version ever been upgraded to digital projection? California Adventure's version was digital when I was there last March 2009 and the colors were amazing and just popped from the screen.

tinpanorama
12-17-2009, 05:45 AM
At D23 it was announced that MuppetVision was going to get a digital upgrade and enhanced at some point this year in both WDW and DCA. A new pre-show has already been filmed.

Melanie
12-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Incidentally, Captain EO is making a comeback at both WDW and DL next year, and I believe will be taking over the HISA show buildings.

The Capt. EO comeback is said to be temporary, but I have my doubts that they will bring back HISA after it is over. Probably use this opportunity to replace it with a new 3-D show since the Honey I shrunk the kids reference is a bit outdated and lost on most of the younger generation.

:offtopic:, but where has this been announced?

Fangorn
12-18-2009, 12:12 AM
If I remember correctly, the original plans for MGM included a "Muppet Studios" area (the area where Muppet 3-D is now) and there were major plans for rides and shows all revolving around Kermit and the gang. This was prior to Jim Henson's death when Henson and Disney were putting the finishing touches on an agreement for Disney to purchase the Muppets. Henson died the week before the contract was to be signed and his family decided not to sell. That put a halt to pretty much everything Muppet at the Studios except for Muppet 3-D which was already in the works and which Henson had already agreed to. In fact, the Muppet 3-D movie is the last movie Henson directed.

My hope is that Disney will retrieve some of those old plans from the archives and use them to reinvigorate both the Muppet franchise and DHS at the same time.

Steve
:mickey:

CaptSmee
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
It's time to update both Muppets & Honey. Tough to be a Bug is far superior.

Melanie
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
:offtopic:, but where has this been announced?

Okay, regarding Captain EO, I see on the official Disney Parks blog today that it will return to DISNEYLAND in February.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

handmaidenofprincesses
12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
...I had heard that they do plan on even going so far as to put out a new muppet show, though I don't know of where that stands as of now.

Oh my goodness, I would love to see a new muppet show! The original stopped either before I was born or when I was quite young, but after seeing the DVDs, I really would adore a new version!

Absolutely! I hate HISA, it's awful.

Any idea when Captain EO is supposed to hit WDW? I'd like to see that...

Also, take a look inside the MuppetVision Theater sometime- it's really a great theater with a lot of detail.

It really is incredibly beautiful. It's a shame you aren't able to spend more time in the theater before and after the show to look around :)

If I remember correctly, the original plans for MGM included a "Muppet Studios" area (the area where Muppet 3-D is now) and there were major plans for rides and shows all revolving around Kermit and the gang.

That sounds like so much fun! I would love a muppet themed "land." It would definitely up DHS's entertainment value for those of us who don't do rides like RNRC or ToT.