PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite DVC resort and why?

Tinkermom
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
So - what is your favorite DVC resort and tell us why. This does not have to be just WDW resorts.

***PLEASE keep this to JUST your favorite and let's not start any debates on the resorts. Thought this might be fun and to maybe learn something new.***

I will start. First let me say that we have stayed at every DVC resort at some time or another except HHI, Grand Californian and the Treehouse (we are staying at the Treehouses in March)...

I have two favs. First is Kidani at AKL. The theming at Kidani is just amazing. We took a great family photo just outside the lobby entrance where they have a wall with glowing lanterns built in. This wall made a perfect backdrop. We stayed here over the summer and had a savannah view room. Disney did such a great job with the savannah - we saw animals just about any time we looked out. It was so relaxing to just hang out on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee and enjoy watching the animals. Of course it was mating season for the giraffe so we all also got a bit of a biology lesson as well - LOL!

We also really enjoyed that DVC gave us our "own" resort that has everything the main resort has. Having a restaurant, gift shop (with drink refill area), lobby and check-in and our own DVC themed pool with waterslide and kids water-play area was awesome! One of our favorite spots was the savannah overlook with the firepit. Disney staffs this overlook with CM's who are available to answer questions about the animals or even about the resort and Disney's conservation efforts. We met some great CM's out there and my kids got into a fun conversation with them. They learned so much about the CM's home country of Botswana, Africa. Our DD 8 found out that they had never tried Juicy Fruit gum so we had to run to our room because she wanted to bring some back for them! :) They even gave us their e-mails so that we could keep in touch.

My other favorite resort is Vero Beach. Vero is one of our home resorts. We are beach lovers and so enjoy this resort. We love that it is right on the beach and we spend the majority of our time hanging out at the beach. The pool area with snack bar is so much fun AND you can even get a DOLE WHIP! The casual restaurant - Shutters - has even added a few outdoor tables that you can can walk right up to from the pool area. This allows you to have a sit-down lunch without having to even change or step foot inside.

Vero also offers lots of fun kid activities - one of my kids' favorite is the waterslide races. Of course some of the adults get into the fun as well so they divide these up into different age groups.

Evenings at Vero are so relaxing. DH and I like to take a night (or two) to head up to the Green Cabin room and have a cocktail on the outdoor balcony while watching the sun set. :cloud9: We also always head over as a family to the campfire for some fun sign-alongs (a GREAT place to embarass your teens - LOL!) and some Smore's. :thumbsup:

So - what is your favorite? :mickey:

Ian
12-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Tough question ... I haven't stayed at all of them yet, so it's hard to say for sure. We're staying at BCV for the first time next month, though, so I'll add that to my list. Although I have stayed at BC before, so I feel like I have a good idea of what it's like.

In fact, so I have only stayed at SSR, BWV, OKW, and Vero so my feedback is pretty limited.

Of those I'd have to say, hands down, I liked Vero the best. It's just so pretty and so relaxing. Our room had the most gorgeous view of the ocean with a great balcony overlooking the beach and all. The activities were great, the pool was great, the staff was great, the food was great. It was just a perfect three day getaway!

The only thing I missed was the dining plan, because the food was pricey. ;)

dlpmikki
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
We started a poll (stickied at the top of this forum) in 2007. It is interesting to see how close most of the resorts came in popularity and I wonder what we would get if we did it now with the new options there are.

I have stayed at most of the WDW ones (adding BLT to list next trip and then only not done BWV) and stayed at Vero. My all time favourite still remains OKW. The Wow factor when I first toured is still there and the one bedrooms are simply the best available in size and facilities. We love the relaxing atmosphere and Olivias (but would like it if Goods to Go was a bit better!)

Hammer
12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
That is a tough choice! I've stayed at SSR, OKW, VWL and BCV and have BLT coming up a week from tomorrow! I guess that BCV would be my favorite, but by a very small margin as we really liked VWL and SSR as well.

Lots of people rave about Vero, but I do not like going to Atlantic beaches (yes, I am the girl who lives in Jersey who does not like the Jersey shore). If they open up one on the Gulf side of Florida, I'll be right there, ready to check it out!

lockedoutlogic
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Well....I like Saratoga....

:haha: no...seriously...I have stayed at Beach, Boardwalk, Hilton Head, Vero (though the beach was destroyed by hurricane at the time...so not really that fair of an assessment), Wilderness, OKW, Saratoga, and the "original" animal Kingdom villas....

And i have a sneaking suspicion that after our stay at Kidani in February that it will quickly be our favorite. It's hard to beat the original AKL...and the new one has only gotten fantastic reviews from the members we know who've stayed there....and AKL is one of my favorite WDW sites (along with Wilderness and Beach/Yacht Club)
What i will undoubtedly like about it is that they went ahead and added a new sitdown, bar, store, feature pool....something they didn't do with Beach or Wilderness or Saratoga, or even contemporary.

We are planning out for Bay Lake in the fall (whenever we can get it...but their travel appears to be going to suffer through 2010..so so i dont' see it as too much of a problem)...but i've heard that they kinda cut some corners on that and it isn't as well themed or decorated as alot of the other resorts...the "location, location, location" approach

It's hard to pick just one favorite...it depends on your mood at the time

I like Animal Kingdom because it's the most unique, has excellent pool facilities, outstanding restaurants, real immersive, etc

I like Beach because of the great location...probably pound for pound the best

I like Wilderness because of the best theme...the rustic american/canadian/north american feel to it...the location on bay lake...the way it looks during the holidays...the artist's point berry cobbler

I like Saratoga because of the one horse statue they plunked down next to the abandoned Disney Institute buildings....

(oh come on....you had to expect that....i was behaving so well:secret:)

lockedoutlogic
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
That is a tough choice! I've stayed at SSR, OKW, VWL and BCV and have BLT coming up a week from tomorrow! I guess that BCV would be my favorite, but by a very small margin as we really liked VWL and SSR as well.

Lots of people rave about Vero, but I do not like going to Atlantic beaches (yes, I am the girl who lives in Jersey who does not like the Jersey shore). If they open up one on the Gulf side of Florida, I'll be right there, ready to check it out!

I agree with you on the Gulf....as a former Floridian...the gulf beats the atlantic side hands down.

What? you don't like "DA SHORE"?!!

what on earth ARE you doing in New Jersey? for the great philly sports franchises? For the seven figures houses located less than 3 miles form the hood?

(i can't stop laughing :haha:...great philly sports franchises - that's funny)

Hammer
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Only reason I don't like the Jersey shore is the water is too cold. I grew up on the Gulf.

I happen to like the Philly sports franchises and have had a ticket plan with the Phillies for many years. I stay because I have a well paying job and live in a great neighborhood and I will not apologize for that.

TinksDH
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
You're getting off topic already.... didn't take long.

Tinkermom
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM
:cop: MODERATOR ALERT :cop:

Please let's keep this thread on topic. My hope is that our newer INTERCOT DVC members and others can gain some new insight on the DVC resorts.

Back to your regularly scheduled posting....
:thumbsup:

DVC Mike
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

The fantastic views!
Great dining (California Grill and The Wave) plus access to more at GF, Poly and MK
Walk to the Magic Kingdom
Monorail access
Water activities on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon
Low dues
Modern urban feel of an upscale hotel
It's new

Ed
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
We've stayed at SSR, OKW, Vero Beach and AKL (Jambo House) since joining DVC, and recently bought into the Villas at the Grand Californian.

So far, I'd have to say that Vero is our hands-down favorite. As far as on-site resorts go, we love SSR- very clean, roomy and comfortable - , followed closely by OKW. What impresses us most about OKW is the sheer roominess of the villas; being the first DVC resort, those villas were the prototype, and apparently DVC decided that the future villas did not need to be so large - big mistake in my book. OKW will undoubtedly benefit greatly by the upcoming renovations.

We recently visited Disneyland and toured the sample villas at the Grand Cali; judging from that visit, we are really looking forward to a future stay in one of the villas there. We couldn't get one this trip because we arrived on the day of the grand opening, and they were all sold out. :(

We are also anxiously looking forward to trying Kidani at AKL and the Treehouses; both are very appealing to us.

As for Vero, I can only say :ditto: to both Ian and Tinkermom's comments. We stay there often, as it's only about 70 miles from our home, and we enjoy every moment there. We, too, enjoy sitting on the verandah at the Green Cabin Room, enjoying a few :marg: , the remarkable view of the ocean, and especially the wonderful company you just might bump into there - - right, Tinkermom and TinksDH ?? ;)

As something of an afterthought, I also have to agree with Hammer, that if DVC were to build a new resort as nice as Vero over on the Gulf Coast, I'd be all over it! I, too, much prefer the Gulf over the Ocean, although we really like the area surrounding Vero (Sebastian, in particular).

Tinkermom
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
We, too, enjoy sitting on the verandah at the Green Cabin Room, enjoying a few :marg: , the remarkable view of the ocean, and especially the wonderful company you just might bump into there - - right, Tinkermom and TinksDH ?? ;)

The company at the Green Cabin Room is the BEST! ;) :thumbsup:

TinksDH
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
We, too, enjoy sitting on the verandah at the Green Cabin Room, enjoying a few :marg: , the remarkable view of the ocean, and especially the wonderful company you just might bump into there - - right, Tinkermom and TinksDH ?? ;)

As something of an afterthought, I also have to agree with Hammer, that if DVC were to build a new resort as nice as Vero over on the Gulf Coast, I'd be all over it! I, too, much prefer the Gulf over the Ocean, although we really like the area surrounding Vero (Sebastian, in particular).

You are right, you just never know who you'll run in to on the Green Cabin Room balcony!

And I too would love a DVC resort on the FL gulf coast. It's not like I dislike the Atlantic coast; I don't. I love the rougher surf, the exhilarating water, and the sunrises. I would also enjoy a calmer surf, clear water where you can see the bottom and fishies in 15' water, and sunsets.

Ed
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I love the rougher surf, the exhilarating water, and the sunrises. I would also enjoy a calmer surf, clear water where you can see the bottom and fishies in 15' water, and sunsets.

Understandable; living where you do, you guys don't see much of the ocean. ;)

We prefer the Gulf for the reasons you listed, plus the beaches (especially in the Clearwater/St. Pete area) are much finer, whiter, softer sand. And the sunsets are often spectacular! (I don't always get up early enough for the sunrises. :sun:

:cool:

TinksDH
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Understandable; living where you do, you guys don't see much of the ocean. ;)

After growing up and spending 20 years in South Jersey and going to the Jersey Shore every summer, you kinda get attached to a rougher, colder body of water. Not to mention, my first exposure to the Gulf of Mexico was when we moved to S.E. Texas and first experienced that part of the Gulf Coast (Sea Rim and Crystal Beach). What a letdown - no waves, dark brown murky water, oil derricks in plain sight, tar on the beach, cars driving up and down, etc. Let me tell you, Pensacola Beach, Panama City and Clearwater were a welcome change! Unfortunately around here the biggest body of water is a man-made lake! :(

Ian
12-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I have to admit that I also much prefer the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic Coast in terms of the ocean and the beaches.

But even with that, Vero was still incredible. We were there right after a hurricane had washed away all their beaches, so we spent zero time on the sand and still had an amazing vacation.

Their pool and activities alone are more than enough to keep you occupied!

btown
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
We have stayed at DVC:
SSR (Home)
BC
Vero
WL (Not stayed but toured)
AKL (Kidanni) 1st time coming up in 3 weeks

I liked SSR (1bdr) but want to see others first before going back. Clean, new, well kept. Too big if not near main pool area. Long walk to DTD. No where great to eat on location.

BC, loved it! My kids loved it, especially since we were there in Aug. and spent tons of time at pool. Plenty of food options and villas studio were nice. Go back in heart beat.

Vero, (1bdr) went in Feb. for long weekend w/ boyfriend. Can't imagine how awesome it will be in warm months. Sunday brunch great. Views from 1 bdr, very nice. Went to Sea World for day. (1 hr drive) Going back in Oct 2010 w/ my ladies (2 bdr) for girls weekend, can't wait. Sebastian (Nightlife town) was fun to hang out in!

AK.... stayed in AK before we bought in DVC. My favorite resort. When I found out it was going to be a DVC, I knew that is where I wanted to go to next. We leave in 3 weeks and spending 8 nights in a 1 bdr Savannah in Kidanni. Couldn't believe I was able to get it and I even had to move some days around and still got a 1 bdr all week. I can't wait.

Our next trip is hopefully to Hilton Head as I wanted to go their this June and could not get in. Will try again for next June on the day I can try and book... Wish me luck!

Enjoy your trips!