PDA

View Full Version : Our first trip as DVC'ers! :)

andreallybadeggs
12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Kidani!!! Any tips appreciated for an extremely relaxed mini-holiday since it will be a group of all over 50's and the majority over 80. :mickey:
Starting March 22 we'll see first-hand how DVC works. Decided since our children and future grandchildren will have 50 years of fun ahead of them that we would use most of our first year's incentive points for the folks that have taught us the most about family--our parents. DH and I are taking the 3 grandparents for a 3 night visit. They all enjoyed traveling in the past but have reached a point that they don't want to be away from home for too long so we're hoping this will be just perfect. Have a 2 BR lockout Savannah View so the early risers can get up, make coffee, and watch the animals without disturbing the other grandmother who likes to sleep in a little longer. May try to book the Hoop-De-Doo and spend one day in a park but otherwise it's mostly about soaking up the atmosphere.
What are your thoughts?

FiggyFan
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
What are the interests of the people in your group? I can think of several good ways to soak in the atmosphere:

1) Go to the parks and just look around. Study the architecture, poke in the shops, wander around the little gardens tucked in here or there, talk to cast members about the history of the place. Tailor your choices to the hobbies and interests of the group.

2) Take some of the available tours. We did the "behind the seeds" tour of the Land pavillion at Epcot and really enjoyed it. With the number of different tours available, some of them are bound to interest your party.

3) Go visit a few of the resorts. From time to time, we take a few hours to drive to a resort we have never seen (or haven't seen in a while) just to walk the grounds, check out the pool and lobby, and sometimes stay for a meal. The hotels get much less crowded during the day while the gusets are out touring the parks, so lunch at a resort can be very leisurely and relaxing.

I hope these ideas help. Enjoy your trip!

Tinkermom
12-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Congrats! Kidani is my favorite WDW DVC resort. :thumbsup: I just posted about Kidani here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=164866).

This is a GREAT place for a multi-generation family vacation. We also took grandparents with us and they loved Kidani. ENJOY! :mickey:

Ian
12-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I haven't stayed at Kidani yet, but I just wanted to tell you to have a great trip and welcome you to the DVC family!

andreallybadeggs
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm so excited about taking the great-grandparents and just praying that all 3 of them stay healthy so we can enjoy this time together. I'm familiar with the parks but don't know too much about AKL and especially Kidani so any suggestions on enjoying the resort would be helpful. If you've tried both Boma's and Sanaa would also appreciate hearing which you preferred. Many thanks! :mickey:

TinksDH
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Don't forget Jiko for a nice sit-down dinner as well.

We've eaten at all three. I think it's a tie between Sanaa and Jiko as our most-liked, but we still like Boma for sure. We tend to think of Jiko as a more intimate restaurant, then Sanaa and finally Boma as the more louder and higher-energy place. The food in all three are excellent, and I've always come away eating much more than I should have.

A little tip - I love the African stew that is served at Boma. You can get this, and sometimes some of the other soups (like curried coconut seafood stew), at the counter service restaurant next door (Mara) for something like $7.50. It's a great deal, and comes in a breadbowl, so it also very filling! :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
12-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the input Tinks DH. I'll check out Jiko more carefully. Price might be a factor and I'm assuming it is higher since think I remember it is considered signature dining. If we can splurge more than once we will but think my Dad might enjoy Hoop dee Doo-- he likes corny stuff.

seanyred
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm so excited about taking the great-grandparents and just praying that all 3 of them stay healthy so we can enjoy this time together. I'm familiar with the parks but don't know too much about AKL and especially Kidani so any suggestions on enjoying the resort would be helpful. If you've tried both Boma's and Sanaa would also appreciate hearing which you preferred. Many thanks! :mickey:

We ate at both Sanaa and Boma in November. Sanaa in my opinion is the best choice of the two. Main reason being is the Savanah View . My wife and I went during late lunch 3pm and the resteraunt was empty. So we had a table right next to the windows. The grounds keepers have the area infront of the windows stocked with food for the animals. We had Zebras, Giraffes, Gazels and Birds providing us entertainment.

As for the food at Sanaa it was very good my wife had the Pork Chops and they were outstanding. I had the Lamb and it was very good as well, but you have to like Lamb. We also had the Bread Service and it was unique and tasty (the pickle and garlic dipping sauce was a bit strong). For dessert we had Rice Pudding and that has to be the best Rice Pudding I have ever had (I often order Rice Pudding at resteraunts).

For Boma we had the breakfast. I must say Boma is now my second favorite place to have breakfast. They have a good mixture of traditional foods and African foods (the Curry Sausage and Biscuits were to die for).

If you could go to both resteraunts that would ideal if you have to choose, I would choose Sanaa.

Enjoy, and Welcome Home.

If you have more questions let me know

andreallybadeggs
12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks seanyred. I've booked an early dinner at Sanaa for our first evening there. That will leave us two and a half more days and we'll only go to parks one day at most so think I'll go ahead and get an adr for Boma as well. Can't wait!:mickey:

wjrhw
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
As far as parks go, I would recomend Epcot. Much more open and relaxed feel.