PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West Scheduled for Major Refurbishment

Ian
12-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I've read that during the annual meetings Disney announced they'll be undertaking a major refurb of OKW.

Looks like it will be similar to what they did at BWV and should include all new carpets, refinishing the wood flooring, all new blinds and drapes, repainting, all new upholstery on the furniture, the addition of a twin-size sleeper chair in the 1BR and larger units, new granite countertops, all new hardware for the kitchen cabinets and drawers, all new ceiling fans, new lamps in the bedrooms, and the installation of flat panel T.V's to replace the old ones.

Looks like work will begin around Spring 2010 and run into Spring 2011.

Good news ... this will open OKW up as an option for us again, because we would never have stayed there again after seeing what sorry shape the place was in.

DVC2004
12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
This was a long time coming! I am glad- we have stayed there a few times and it is a nice resort. Very spacious. But it seemed a little run down interior wise. Thanks for the info!

Disdude
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Good news ... this will open OKW up as an option for us again, because we would never have stayed there again after seeing what sorry shape the place was in.

I hear ya. The musty smell was horrible the last 2 times we stayed. We would be hard pressed to stay there again until the refurb.

Dsnygirl
12-12-2009, 01:21 PM
:thumbsup: Sounds awesome!! Maybe by the time we're ready to stay there, they'll be done!! That'd be awesome!! :)

Checkers
12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
:mickey:Great news! Looking forward to our next visit, possibly in fall of 2010.

Hammer
12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
I am very glad to hear this news. Like Ian, I was very unimpressed with Old Key West when I stayed there. Of all the DVC resorts I have stayed at to date (SSR, OKW, WL, BCV) OKW is the only one we would not consider booking for another trip. The interior refurbishment helps, but I would like if the landscaping was better maintained as well. I felt like I was in the jungle navigating the tree overhangs in the pathways!

Ian
12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
IThe interior refurbishment helps, but I would like if the landscaping was better maintained as well. I felt like I was in the jungle navigating the tree overhangs in the pathways!It's funny you mention this, Christine, because when we stayed there I actually commented at one point, "You know the landscaping here looks like it's trying to be lush and tropical, but it just comes off as being unkempt and overgrown looking."

MinnieMommie
12-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the news Ian. Good move for OKW. I look forward to seeing the renovations. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
12-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Very good news....

Don't suppose they could throw in a new bar/ quickserve facility, huh?

probably asking too much:mickey:

seanyred
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I've never stayed there nor have I ever visited either, but I am glad to hear they are using the Annual Dues money appropriately and fixing the place up, from other reports it sounds like it has been long time coming.

lockedoutlogic
12-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I've never stayed there nor have I ever visited either, but I am glad to hear they are using the Annual Dues money appropriately and fixing the place up, from other reports it sounds like it has been long time coming.

all hotels look like a dump after too long...including the pixie dust palaces...

the best was beach club...i believe they finally refurbished everything...but that place looked like a dump for a long time....at least the interior hallways and rooms did

vizsla
12-13-2009, 07:42 AM
This is great news. OKW is our Home Resort and I will say it does need a refurbishment. We will be there in the fall in 2010 so we will see how the work is progressing.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
While I agree that OKW is in need of some refurbishing, I really do take exception to some of the comments that would make you think it is only a notch above a Motel 6.

While flat-panel TVs would be nice, since they got rid of the channel showing the old cartoons TV viewing at WDW is pretty lousy no matter how good the TV set you are watching it on is. :ack:

My biggest complaint would be that the carpeting should have been replaced years ago, some of the patching could have been done neater and I definitely agree with a previous poster that the grounds could be maintained a lot better.

Everyone has their favorite resorts and that's fine with me. I wouldn't willingly stay at BCV or BWV.

thumperbug
12-13-2009, 08:39 PM
We are staying at OKW in Feb 2010. We haven't stayed there yet and now I think I'm dreading it. The decor of the resort from pics to me looks like decor from the 80's but we have been meaning to try out all the DVC resorts at least once and this time OKW was it.

I already tried to get our ressie moved to another resort but all the other DVC only had 1 night here or there during our trip and I'm not up for moving around. We really just do breakfast in our room and shower/sleep. Hopefully our villa won't be in too shabby shape. If it is...or smells....etc I will say something and make them move us. We are pretty easy going and don't usually get worked up over little things wrong with a room but I can't put up with bad smells that febreeze can't get away or bad patch jobs. If our villa looks like it is being held together with duct tape and pixis dust...I am not going to be happy. I know resorts need renovations now and then. I am just hoping OKW hasn't gotton too bad.

Anyone with encouraging words???

ThanxForNoticin
12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
While I agree that OKW is in need of some refurbishing, I really do take exception to some of the comments that would make you think it is only a notch above a Motel 6.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading this post. We've stayed at OKW twice in the past year, and terms like 'dump', 'smelly', and 'horrible' just don't make any sense from our experience. Can the place use an update? Absolutely. The rooms go through a lot of wear and tear. But it's still a place I look forward to staying.

TinksDH
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading this post. We've stayed at OKW twice in the past year, and terms like 'dump', 'smelly', and 'horrible' just don't make any sense from our experience. Can the place use an update? Absolutely. The rooms go through a lot of wear and tear. But it's still a place I look forward to staying.

There are some folks on here who would complain about the color of their money... ;) Don't let them get to you. I don't understand the glee some folks on here take in bashing DVC, the food, the attractions, etc. Makes you wonder why they even continue to go to WDW... I think they think of themselves as forum "watchdogs" to ensure that the rest of us don't get too excited nor look too forward to our getaways.

As OKW is the oldest DVC property, it IS fair to see it's in need of some modernization. But I'd hardly call it a dump. That's misleading at best, inflammatory and categorically untrue. It also shows just plain lack of sensitivity and respect towards those who enjoy going there. So much for our friendly community...

lockedoutlogic
12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Okay...guess i'll clarify (the sensitivity to anonymous comments sometimes baffles me...but whatever)

I'm just stating a characteristic of the hotel industry...."dump" in this case (to me) means "in need of major or complete renovation/refurbishment/ replacement"

in no way is old key west a motel 6...i usually stay there at least once a year.

But the reality is that just because it says "Disney's" on the sign out front...doesn't mean that their hotels aren't subjected to the same conditions that rack hotels everywhere else on earth...and that is that they are beaten into the ground by the patrons.

Why? because that is the nature of the beast. shoes aren't removed, grape juice isn't steam cleaned outta the carpet, garbage is allowed to stack up, lawns and pathways are ripped up, fixtures and amenities are treated extremely roughly, kids go wild on vacation (some adults too)

Disney actually goes quite awhile - by today's standards - before they do major strips and redos of their rooms (in particular)

You have just probably heard how the holiday inn chains have done complete refurbs of most of their locations...and made a point of telling you about it. Marriot and Starwood have done so recently as well...and made a point of telling you about it.

Disney...on the other hand....sometimes goes 5,10+ years between major strips....and that is along time considering how the business has evolved and type of clientele they have - meaning kids, kids, and more kids....much higher than any other hotels you may find in almost any other place on earth

So there it is.....it's good that OKW is getting it's treatment....it needs it....and currently it looks a step below most...if not all...the other disney run resorts.

And no company uses "standards" more than TWDC....so i'm holding them to it....their fault...not mine:blush:

Hammer
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
There are some folks on here who would complain about the color of their money... ;) Don't let them get to you. I don't understand the glee some folks on here take in bashing DVC, the food, the attractions, etc. Makes you wonder why they even continue to go to WDW... I think they think of themselves as forum "watchdogs" to ensure that the rest of us don't get too excited nor look too forward to our getaways.

As OKW is the oldest DVC property, it IS fair to see it's in need of some modernization. But I'd hardly call it a dump. That's misleading at best, inflammatory and categorically untrue. It also shows just plain lack of sensitivity and respect towards those who enjoy going there. So much for our friendly community...

But Mike, that is your opinion as much as those of us who were not pleased with OKW. I purposefully did not post a review from my trip there in October 2008 as I knew some would be annoyed at the negative review. I can usually post both good and bad about any component of a WDW trip, but OKW did not meet my standard for hotels, which does not change if I am at WDW or anywhere else. I have not had issues with the rooms or outdoor upkeep at any other DVC resort, and said as such. I will not gloss over the bad stuff.

oldkeywest91
12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW.As a day one owner of OKW,I/we visit about 4 times a year and while any house that is 18 years old needs a new coat of paint,many of the complants I hear are from people who don't own but rent.Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.If people would start taking more care of the units when they stay and clean up their mess,s before the stains set in and not wait for housekeeping some of these complaints would not be there.Treat it like you own it,I do

Ian
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry, but it's very hard not to compare DVC resorts and, in my opinion, Old Key West comes up short in that comparison.

I don't think I ever called it a dump nor did I imply that it was no better than a Motel 6. All I (and others) have said was that it was showing its age and needed a refurb.

Which, frankly, is the truth. It's not to say the resort itself isn't nice ... it definitely is. It's just the oldest DVC property and it's time for some TLC.

lockedoutlogic
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW.As a day one owner of OKW,I/we visit about 4 times a year and while any house that is 18 years old needs a new coat of paint,many of the complants I hear are from people who don't own but rent.Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.If people would start taking more care of the units when they stay and clean up their mess,s before the stains set in and not wait for housekeeping some of these complaints would not be there.Treat it like you own it,I do

This is not correct.....
First, i firmly believe that the vast majority (90% or more) use their vacation club...not rent it. So really, to say that it's all "sour grapes renters" who have pointed out the inadequacies of OKW is just not right. Many, if not most who stay at OKW now are staying there because they cannot get one of the "more desirable" locations for a stay. There are tiers in the WDW Vacation club locations now...it's pretty apparent

I do agree that people don't "take care of it"...but after working in WDW resorts...i can tell you that it's because they don't have to...and that's the way almost all hotels are (I would think the Four Seasons may not be subject to this phenomena....but Disney has nothing with clientele on that level)

OKW's rooms and facilities are looking older and run down...that is the truth.

And it a DVC owner's responsibility to point out when things get run down and need a cash infusion. That is what you pay maintenance for....that is how your investment maintains values.

Old Key West is great for a couple of reasons: the fact that it is usually much more low key and less crowded is a big one....Olivia's and the pool area is another.
But it is not a front line DVC location anymore...it is a backup. As much as i destroy Saratoga (for many reasons....the list is long, but distinguished)...there facilities are better than OKW. Mainly because OKW has the smallest bar on property and their quickservice restaurant is PATHETIC. yeah...pathetic...they don't even serve real key lime pie anymore (prepackaged cups brought in from off property).
And as far as OKW compared to Beach, Boardwalk, Contemp, Animal Kingdom, or Wilderness.....there is NO comparison

sorry....but it is what it is:thedolls:

dlpmikki
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Look guys and gals, please play nice.

It is always good news when a resort is to get a major refurb. We all know there are people who love and hate each of the resorts but its getting a tad repetitive in this topic.

Thank you :)

artyboy
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Glad to hear about the refurb...although, we've never encountered a run down room there...and we've stayed 3 times.

I will say that we always stay in the same building, which is a quite a ways from the main pool, facing the river and right next to the quiet pool. It seems that some feel it's a less desirable location, and hence it doesn't get as much traffic...at least that's what our friends who work there say.

My partner's Aunt did get a bad room once (which can happen at any hotel, regardless of price...we travel a great deal, and have been assigned horrible rooms at even 5 star hotels).

She immediately complained and they moved her to a better one...so, no problem there...just let them know at the front desk...they don't want you to be unhappy.

thumperbug
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Didn't mean to start a riot with my original post....lol. Just like anything there are 2 sides to every story and reviews about anything are always going to be 2 sided. I am going with an open mind and hope our stay will live up to be just as good as all our other trips. Its just a little unsettling to stay at a new resort. We all like our comfort zone and to me, any resort I have stayed in is comfort to me.

Is there a projected start date for the renovations?

Ian
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Is there a projected start date for the renovations?According what I read, work will begin around Spring 2010 and run into Spring 2011.

Puppy Mom
12-16-2009, 11:14 AM
MY BF and I stay at OKW all the time because we love it.

We always get the same room which is a studio far from the main pool facing a golf course and next to a quiet pool. It has never smelled, had stains or been run down looking. It DOES need a remodel because of it's age, as any of the resorts will when they are as old, but there are many things we love about it.

The bathroom is huge. The balcony is totally secluded from other guests. The room is large.
The ambiance of the resort is calm and laid back. The quiet pool is big and takes two minutes to walk to from our door.

Another thing we like is that fewer people with kids stay there. We don't have children and enjoy getting away from the noise and hubbub at the end of the day.

I am sorry that some of you have had bad experiences at OKW, but I love it. With the refurbishments I think I will love it even more... as long as they don't go for one of the garish color schemes they have used in some places.

KAT1811
03-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't suppose they could throw in a new bar/ quickserve facility, huh?

I wouldn't mind a little expansion to the bar and the CS could use a few more choices. But that being said we really don't eat at the CS and the bar is usually very quiet so in the rare instance we go for a drink there is always room. (I much prefer to have a drink in WS at Epcot! :cloud9:) Or on my balcony/patio. :mickey:

We are staying at OKW in Feb 2010. We haven't stayed there yet and now I think I'm dreading it. The decor of the resort from pics to me looks like decor from the 80's but we have been meaning to try out all the DVC resorts at least once and this time OKW was it.

Anyone with encouraging words???

I've got a ton of them! We LOVE OKW!!! The pictures of the rooms are not very flattering. Initially we were a bit worried about the decor but it turned out to be very nice. It is by far our favorite resort. We have four children and stay in a 2BR unit. The resort is beautiful and quiet, a very nice change of pace from the madness of the parks. It fells to us like we are getting two vacations in one. The pool is fabulous and the boat ride to DTD is a great treat. We also think that the bus service is the best we have ever experienced. We NEVER wait in line for a bus! On quite a few of our to and fro bus trips the bus was virtually empty. Olivia's is great and because OKW is so quiet we are always able to get a table even without an ADR. Some nights our plans change and it's refreshing to us to not have to fight a zillion other vacationers from every other resort to get a table for a quick bite. The rooms are much, much larger. So much so that I think we may never venture away from OKW. That is until the children are all grown. ;) The balcony is huge with a big round table with four chairs and a ceiling fan. The kids eat breakfast on the balcony while everyone else gets ready. I find the grounds lovely, the "overgrown" look adds to the privacy IMHO. We had a beautiful unit last year that overlooked a hole on the golf course and was a very short walk to the front of the resort. Don't worry, I hope you love it as much as we do. :mickey:

I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW. . . Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.

:secret:

I am really looking foward to staying at OKW this year!!! Hopefully we will get lucky and get a refurbished room.

mdhiggin
03-07-2010, 10:51 PM
We stayed at OKW the first time the end of Jan. 2010. Our room was definitely in need of some remodeling. Everything just looked worn out but refurb was going on while we were there, in our building and next door, no less. The hammering woke us up every morning. We would still go back, but it's not our first choice.

azcavalier
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
It's our home resort, but we've never stayed there. We had reservations for May, but waitlisted into the Villas at WL.

If they are putting sleeper chairs in the 1BR villas, then we will definitely put it on our list, though. We have three kids, so when we go with kids we've always stayed at POR. We've talked about staying at AKV (which also sleeps five) but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

epceddie
03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
We've ALWAYS loved OKW. It's our DVC home resort and any kind of rehab is good news. We can't wait to stay there again in May. Love those big studios and 1BRs.

tinkman
03-23-2010, 06:07 AM
We finally became DVC members in 2009, but due to "other arrangements" made before the purchase, we spent our first year as DVC members at Saratoga Springs, yuk. Anyway, we finally got to stay at OKW just a couple weeks ago and loved it. The room was clean, with one exception, there was food in the fridge, pizza and donuts. Other than that, paint, carpet and furniture looked good. Love the look of this resort with it's "overgrown" look, very refreshing from the staleness of SS. Only complaint, need a better quick service food court to offset the high cost of Olivias'. Refurb was going on on the section right across the street from us. Maybe we can stay in the newly done area in Dec when we go back.

lovin'fl
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Refurb was going on on the section right across the street from us. Maybe we can stay in the newly done area in Dec when we go back.

Do you or anyone else know what parts have been refurbed? My inlaws are going Jan. 2011 and I've requested a 1 BR close to the hospitality house. Will those buildings be done? If they will be working on those then, my FIL will hate the noise. Thanks!

ehaimann236
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
very interesting thanks for the update. with these updates old key west will continue to be at the top of my list of places to stay.

Ocean Girl 7
07-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi. Would you happen to know which buildings at Old Key West have already been renovated. We will be staying there for the first time shortly and would like to request a renovated unit. We are staying in a 2 bdrm. unit. Thanks! Any information would be very much appreciated :)

lens300
07-27-2010, 09:36 PM
The only thing I dont like in the studio is having 2 beds and no sofa. I love having the sofa sleeper it gives you a nice comfy place to sit until you go to sleep. I was hoping that would have changed with the refurb but I guess not. I also love the overgrown look it feels a million mile away from everything.

mdhiggin
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
This post had me searching for video of the new refurb for our upcoming stay. There is a video on Youtube called The New Disney's Old Key West Resort May 2010. It looks really nice. The video was of a 1BR villa. I'm really excited about the extra chair bed for one of my children. Love it!

NewmanFamily6
07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
That is great news! My family really enjoyed OKW.

g8rgirl29
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
We Love OKW!! I would rather stay here than anywhere else. I am glad they are going through a refurb. I for one will miss the current relaxing decor that I associate with Key West, as outdated as it is. I also am in the odd few that like the overgrown foliage that makes everything seem more private. Can't wait to see what the new rooms look like!!

celebrationasheley
09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I am looking forward to seeing my renovated home. The grand villa that has a huge dining table which we pile with souvenirs and candy from MNSSHP, Never eating a meal on it.
As for the renovations. YAY! I hope the suites see the changes first.

And as much as I am there as a DVC member, and hit the pools and eat at Olivias. If I am in the room, it must mean the parks are closed.

I love OKW!

As for outdated... yes, the carpets need changing, and possibly couches, and beds. But it is better than home:)

Mammabruski
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
There are some great pics of the newly renovated rooms on Allears. They look great, and boy-oh-boy am I hoping we get to stay in a reno-ed room when we're there in March. Grand Villa Baby! :cloud9:

Thumper03
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
If people would start taking more care of the units when they stay and clean up their mess,s before the stains set in and not wait for housekeeping some of these complaints would not be there.Treat it like you own it,I do

:thumbsup: Amen