PDA

View Full Version : A tale from Toy Story Midway Mania

MaxPower
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Yesterday, my friend and I were at The Hollywood Studios for its opening.

We, along with a couple hundred others, headed directly to Toy Story Midway Mania at Rope drop.

We were the first two people to get Fast Passes. We then headed directly into the attraction, so there were maybe 40 people in front of us ( those 40 being those who skipped Fast Pass and went straight into the attraction.)

We walked onto the attraction and by the time we got to the loading area, the cars we were loading into had no guests in them yet - we were the first ones in those cars that day. We had noticed when we entered the attraction that there were no high scores posted yet on the scoreboard where the cars exit the game area.

By the time we came out of the game area, I had a score of 177,400 and my friend had one of 169,800. However, there were now three scores posted on the score board as being the highest so far for the day that were all in the 200,000 range. We think it's impossible that of the forty people ahead of us, three would be in that range. Getting in that range is very difficult for regular riders, and especially so for first-timers.

Once I thought about it, I realized that the top three scores are always in the 200,000 range and the top score of the month is always in the 300,000 range.

Does anyone think that the posted scores may just always be the same ones posted.

Also, if any Intercotters can link to where the "extra points" are in Toy Story Midway Mania, I would appreciate it. There is no way someone is scoring over 300,000 without knowing some secret that reveals bonus points somehow. ( I know in Buzz Ligtyear Space Ranger spin, there are certain targets worth 100,000 each.)

Anyone know the secret for Toy Story Midway Mania?

magicofdisney
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I've only ridden the ride a handful of times, but I'm fairly certain the scores have been different each time.

Quite possibly, many of the riders ahead of you were very experienced and their scores were the ones posted.

JabberJaws
12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
One thing to consider also is that typically w/ Disney dark rides, in the early morning and before close, CMs will ride one cycle through on the ride to make sure everything is working, show ready, etc. before they let actual guests on. These CMs would likely be pretty skilled at the ride, knowing where the "hot spots" are for higher points. Could be that the CMs get these high scores in the mornings.

Just a thought.

BluewaterBrad
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
One thing to consider also is that typically w/ Disney dark rides, in the early morning and before close, CMs will ride one cycle through on the ride to make sure everything is working, show ready, etc. before they let actual guests on. These CMs would likely be pretty skilled at the ride, knowing where the "hot spots" are for higher points. Could be that the CMs get these high scores in the mornings.

Just a thought.

Very good point!:mickey:

Gator
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
It doesn't matter if the CMs ride or not, because I won't be in the top 3 at anytime in the future.

BowTie7
12-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I think you may just have had some very good players in line in front of you. On my last trip, I just missed getting on the board one morning with a score close to yours--and on a different morning, someone in the next car got on the board with a similar score--though only at the very beginning of the day.

cfoshe
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I have done a search on You tube and found a video made at Disneyland of someone scoring 500,000 points. I just do not know if the rides are the same. For example, in the video, at the space aliens if you put a ring around all the aliens in the ship before one pops up in the empty hole, the rocket ship takes off and your able to shoot rings though a goal post looking thing and score large amounts of points. Search for toy story game secrets and you should find it.

BigThunderFan
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone play the Wii version of this? It is pretty fun and it even has unlockable 3D games. Although the 3D isn't all that good, it holds us over until we can actually head down and play at WDW! :thumbsup:

joanna71985
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone think that the posted scores may just always be the same ones posted.

Also, if any Intercotters can link to where the "extra points" are in Toy Story Midway Mania, I would appreciate it. There is no way someone is scoring over 300,000 without knowing some secret that reveals bonus points somehow. ( I know in Buzz Ligtyear Space Ranger spin, there are certain targets worth 100,000 each.)

Anyone know the secret for Toy Story Midway Mania?

They aren't. People really can score that high on their own. My high score (by myself) is 223,500. And my friend can get almost 300,000 on his own.

Just a thought.

Those scores wouldn't be from CM ride-throughs. The scores are wiped off before the ride opens. So those 3 scores would be from guests.

AuntLaura
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the previous answers. I know the scores are true scores. My nephew consistently gets scores above 200K. We also are in line early, and I have seen the scores change after he's gone through. He's had a few of the top scores listed. He has figured out a lot of the ways to really rack up the points.

AdventurerKim
12-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Anyone play the Wii version of this? It is pretty fun and it even has unlockable 3D games. Although the 3D isn't all that good, it holds us over until we can actually head down and play at WDW! :thumbsup:

Yes! I love the Wii version and have used the tickets to unlock other games for each character which are really fun--the other shooting games at least. It does hold me over until the real ride and is another piece of Disney magic whenever I want! :thumbsup:

minnesotafreeze
12-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I have not played the Wii version but the iphone vesion is great also. I look forward to playing the real thing soon.:mickey:

MinnieMommie
12-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I think it's very possible that people on the ride before you were able to score that high. Among those first in line at park opening are those who know how to navigate the parks and also people who are big fans of certain attractions and experienced at them. Experienced use leads to competence hence the high scores. :mickey:

MongoMil
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I found this information on another site......it's to help those wanting to increase their score on this attraction:

Barn Room (we shoot eggs)
EASTER EGG: The very small rat near the house at the top is worth a few points, but he's more valuable for what comes next. If you hit him when he scurries up the barn, the barn flips open with high-point mouse targets. After the barn turns back over, the rats will appear in the field with the other animals, worth 1000 points each. If you find the time, you could also shoot the goat in the top corner (2,000 pts?) and the fox on the henhouse (500). The fox, once shot, triggers a series of 1,000 point chickens.

Balloon Room (we shoot darts)
EASTER EGG: Aim for the corners. If you knock out the balloons on the cloud, you get a shower of 500-point balloons covering the screen. If your partner does the same thing on HIS cloud at the same time (more or less), then what you trigger is a shower of 2,000 point balloons, rainbow colored.

Green Army Men Plate Breaking Room (we shoot baseballs)
EASTER EGG: Hit the jumping 2000 point plates (at the same time on both sides of the screen) to activate a slew of jumping 2000 point plates across the screen. During this wave of jumping plates, you and your partner must both hit two jumping plates, and you'll unlock a tank that will come out of the mountain.

Alien Room (we shoot rings)
EASTER EGG: Put a ring around all the 100-point aliens in the rocketship in the middle. Do it before any of them pops back up, and you trigger the "hungry monster" who opens his mouth and lets you rapid fire in your rings for 500 pts, then 1,000 pts a shot. Get the monster to appear early to maximize your time with him; we find it effective to have me and my partner "split up" the spaceship to blanket it with rings very fast. Every so often, the monster keeps his mouth shut. Aim at 1,000 or 2,000 or the 5,000 point rocketships on the side during this quiet time, but come back to the monster when he's ready.

Western Room (we shoot suction-cup arrows)
EASTER EGG: In the first room here, you see many bullseyes that open up new targets when you hit them. Clear everything one time, not bothering to hit things that re-spawn, and you'll see that the targets leap up to 1,000 and 2,000 points possible.

Kill the bat at the top as soon as you see it. It flips around to reveal a 5,000 point target. Then, the mine cars start saying 1,000 or 2,000 points. When you start moving across the scene, hitting the two 500 point targets that are close to each other throughout the scene opens 2000 point targets. In the mine car part, hit every single mine car to get two 5000 point mine cars, quite tricky to hit that and the bat.

The very instant a giant target fills your screen, start rapid firing and don't stop until it's all over. As you hit the target, lights around the outside of the target illuminate. Eventually, the target starts being worth 1,000 points and then 2,000 points. But you have to be very quick.

finaldynasty
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
this is very good information!