PDA

View Full Version : GC, Paradise Pier, or Disneland Hotel?

bucky at disney
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
We are thinking of going to Disneyland in early March and also considering staying in a resort hotel. Which of the 3 Disneyland Resort hotels do you prefer and why? Traveling in our party will be me, DH, DS - 15 and DD - 12.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Grand Californian all the way. Although, a LOT of the reason for that is the EXCELLENT pool area, and in March, you won't really be using it that much (probably).

I would still recommend it highly though.

PPH is "eh". It's like a Holiday Inn with a few Disney themed touches in the room. NOTHING special, and sort of inconvenient. DLH is in the midst of being fully renovated, so I'd wait until they are DONE with that before considering staying there. Plus, there is just something about the DLH that I can't put my finger on that really turns me off. It has beautiful grounds, but it totally lacks the "resort" feel to me. Just my opinion. If you're going to spend the $$$ on a Disney resort, go for the Grand; otherwise, stay somewhere off Harbor and save a LOT of $$$.

NotaGeek
12-08-2009, 09:48 PM
The GCH is a great hotel with an awesome location in regards to the Parks, but it can be priced considerably more than the other properties.

Unlike the previous poster, I love the Paradise Pier -- and I am sorry but it is far from a Holiday Inn with Disney Touches. It's a very good option for those on a smaller budget and it's located 5 minutes further walk from the GCH and DLH -- it's a SoCal beach themed Disney resort, has HUGE rooms with views of DCA (currently the construction makes that a bit less desirable unless you want to see what's happening!) and the only complaint I have is the pool ... it's very plain. PPH is also the only hotel that offers a Mickey Mouse character Breakfast.

The Disneyland Hotel is my personal favorite of the three -- it's the original, it was Walt's vision and since it's currently being renovated it will once again be amazing. The rooms are really big, the Disney theming is brilliant and the renovated rooms are really awesome (check them out here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=157139)). The Neverland Pool and all the restaurants at the DLH are wonderful as well!

All 3 hotels are an easy walk to the Parks, the Monorail and Downtown Disney. If you can afford it and you wan the hotel with easiest access it's definitely the GCH.

Magic Smiles
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
We stayed 7 nights at the Grand Californian in Aug 09. Location was amazing! My only disappointment was with the food options, but then again we love POFQ in WDW and their food court.
We did visit DLH and DH thought this was more along his line, but the walk is much further. Guess I got spoiled staying at the GCH.

Melanie
12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I personally prefer either the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel, and I couldn't disagree more that PPH is a Disney-fied Holiday Inn. :confused: Like previously mentioned, the rooms are huge and the theme park views are fun. I often think it's grossly exaggerated on here how far the walk from PPH to DTD and the parks is. The walk from all three Disney properties is very manageable. PCH Grill is a great character meal (now including Mickey Mouse) and the gift shop is large and I always seem to find something unusual/interesting in there. Yes, the pool is definitely a letdown, even with the addition of a slide a few years back.

My favorite is definitely the Disneyland Hotel. I love all the Walt era history at this hotel! The pool area (including the bar and Hook's Point) is so fun - nothing much more says Disney to me than Peter Pan. It's really nice at night. And one of my favorite character meals is located here at Goofy's Kitchen. The rooms were getting a bit tired, but the renovated rooms look incredible. Can't wait to get back and stay in one. It's an easy walk right under the Sorcerer's Hat to the monorail station in Downtown Disney, or just continue up through Downtown Disney to both park entrances.

As for staying in a regular room at the Grand Californian, it's just not my cup of tea. I went into a bunk bed room one time, and couldn't believe the small size and how much it cost! No way. I can enjoy the resort ambiance by cruising the beautiful lobby, having a drink at Territory Lounge, shopping at the gift shop (which really isn't all that large, but does have some nice exclusive things) and eating at Storyteller's Cafe. I also like Whitewater Snacks for a nice lunch. The room rates just aren't worth a 'shorter' walk for us.

Good luck with your choice! :thumbsup:

bucky at disney
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone! Keep them coming....

BrerGnat
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Ok, I just want to clarify my PPH comparison with a Holiday Inn. I should have been more clear. I think the ROOMS at the PPH (and the pool area, to be frank) resemble what you'd get at a Holiday Inn. The rooms have cheap furniture, linens, and fixtures. They scream "early 90's" with the chipped blonde wood furniture. For real...take a Holiday Inn room...add a Mickey Beach Lamp, and some Disney art on the walls...Paradise Pier Hotel. The hotel has a very superficial beach theme, which seems pulled off on the cheap. OUR particular room was complete with a nice layer of dust on everything, a non-working exhaust fan in the bathroom, and mold on the wallpaper.

If you don't believe me, do a side by side comparison of the room pictures of the PPH and the Holiday Inn Anaheim (go to the websites). Personally, I think the HI has nicer rooms, more to offer FOR THE MONEY, and a nicer pool too!

I like the lobby and public areas of the PPH just fine, but not enough to go there on purpose for anything. There is a MAJOR lack of food options at that hotel too...they actually have an entire ROOM full of vending machines selling ALL types of things. That's just weird...

My point is, if you are travelling halfway across the country, and you are EXPECTING "Disney Deluxe" type accommodations (to compare with WDW Deluxe resorts), the ONLY one at DLR that is in the same league is GCH. DLH and PPH feel like some version of a moderate/deluxe hybrid. Large rooms don't always mean a better value for your money. And, the DLH is often priced almost as high as GCH, and if you're going to spend a lot of money on your room, I just personally think the GCH is heads and shoulders above the DLH. Again, DLH public areas (grounds, restaurants, etc.) are great, but if it's raining...forget it! Almost everything is located outdoors from where your room is (since there are three towers of rooms). You have to hit the outdoors to reach ANY of the resort's amenities and restaurants. Have fun doing that in the rain that often soaks southern CA in March...

It all comes down to what type of vacation you want to have. If you want the all immersive Disney resort experience, GCH will deliver that in a great way. If you will be in the parks 12 hours per day, and only be sleeping in your hotel, skip ALL the Disney resorts and find a Good Neighbor hotel on Harbor for CHEAP!!!

NotaGeek
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Natalie -- we now fully understand that there's nothing better than the GCH in your opinion -- I think what we are trying to do is prevent dissuading members from avoiding a Disney property with merely opinions. I have stayed at both the PPH and the DLH many many many times ... I have stayed at the GCH once, I have never had the experience or feelings at the PPH/DLR you had -- and believe me, I have stayed at much nicer hotels than ANY property they own world-wide so I am not speaking without experience or with bias. Its not fair to assume that everyone has the money to shell out for the "DELUXE" property, and the OP didn't ask that question.

PPH is the least expensive property and is most like a moderate hotel at WDW, the DLR and the GCH would be considered Deluxe properties by pricing, and the DLR once its refurbished will be in line with their price point. The Good Neighbor Hotels, although much cheaper and very close to the resort are NOTHING like a Disney property, and, since the OP didn't ask about if they should stay there in stead and save money, isn't really the point.

Melanie
12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
they actually have an entire ROOM full of vending machines selling ALL types of things. That's just weird...

Actually not really weird considering PPH used to be a Japanese owned hotel and what you described is VERY Japanese.

MegaDisney
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
My preferences are as follows:

1. Disneyland Hotel
2. Paradise Pier Hotel
3. Grand Californian

The rooms at the GCH are TINY and it's proximity to the parks and DtD (while convienent) add to the crowds, traffic and noise.

The PPH has nice sized rooms. Is only about 50 yards further from the parks and DtD than the GCH, and the views into DCA are great. I have stayed there NUMEROUS times and have never had any issues with cleanliness or maintenence.

My favorite, the DLH, is filled with Disney Magic! The rooms are ample size. I find this hotel is FURTHER from the parks unless you use the Monorail to enter Disneyland. I look forward to seeing this hotel when the renovation is complete.

MegaDisney
12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
The Disneyland Hotel is my personal favorite of the three -- it's the original, it was Walt's vision...

The Disneyland Hotel was actually built by the Granville family. Disney was not directly involved with the hotel until they took ownership of the property in (I think) the 80's.

NotaGeek
12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
The Disneyland Hotel was actually built by the Granville family. Disney was not directly involved with the hotel until they took ownership of the property in (I think) the 80's.
Thanks.

I suppose I can thank the Granville's for the vision, then. :mickey: it's even worse that they changed the name of the restaurant knowing that info!