PDA

View Full Version : Preaching to the Choir

pokci
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I just got back from a week of solo WDW! I spent much of the week helping people who I saw staring at maps at looking bewildered and overwhelmed. Please get the word out to unsuspecting friends, family, coworkers and anyone you see looking lost - WDW REQUIRES PLANNING! I bring back lots of park maps and give those out to anyone taking a trip. We ALL know what fun it is, but if you're not ready and wasting time lost, it can be a bummer! :cloud9:

artyboy
12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Bringing back maps for newbies is a great idea!

I'm with you...it kinda breaks my heart to see a family obviously on their first (and maybe last) trip standing on Main Street or wherever, trying to decide where to go...or where that attraction they wanted to see is!

I've lended out my books and such for any friends that are going the first time...and patiently tried to steer them in the right direction.

LibertyTreeGal
12-07-2009, 05:22 PM
lol, I drove my family and inlaws crazy before their first trip to WDW (my second) -- they thought I was obsessing and being roo organised. After two days they apologised and thanked me -- until they saw the scop and magnitude of WDW, they truly had no idea that no plan = no fun = none of the kind of food they want to eat.

But it is almost impossible to make someone really understand it who has not been there.

GreenBeetle
12-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Absolutely true, LibertyTreeGal. Similar situation here with my family. No one understood my obsessive planning until I did if for their first visits too. They were very thankful and admitted they would never have seen half the things we covered in our week in Disney had it not been for my careful organization. (Plus, I really LOVE doing it! :cloud9: )

Too much time and money can be wasted on standing around looking confused. :confused:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I had offered to help a friend of mine one time and she turned me down. She said she had another friend who had been there ONCE who told her where to go and what to do and see! Her husband told me they really didn't see or do a lot that first trip as they didn't know a lot of things. I tried......

pokci
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I had the same experience with a co-worker two years ago. I offered, offered again, and then teasingly offered the day before they left. They were staying off property, it rained for three of their days and they chose to go to the movies and such because they thought you couldn't go to the parks when it's raining off and on. She got back and said they did a day and a half at the park(s) and thought it was okay. ARGH!!!!:mad:

If those in the "dark" gave those of us in the "light" a chance, they too would see the happiness! ;)

KylesMom
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, you know the adage - You can lead a horse to water . . . :D

Ian
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
We had a similar experience in September when we traveled with some extended family to WDW. They've been before, but not much and not since before some of the recent changes with the DDP, difficulty of getting ADR's, etc.

They were definitely a little overwhelmed by the amount of planning that was required to pull everything together. In fact, I think they found it a little off-putting.

I'm not sure a lot of people are thrilled about having to hyper-plan their vacation time.

2Epcot
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I bring back lots of park maps and give those out to anyone taking a trip.

I've been doing that almost as long as I've been going to WDW. I always bring back a bunch of maps for all the parks and give them to anyone thinking about visiting.

kemps@wdw
12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
All WDW veterans know that planning is an absolute must to have a truly magical journey to the World. My DD is a real jewel when it comes to making sure that we all get to do everything we want and dining at all the places we love.

grumpyguy
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
i love the planning stages of a wdw trip!!changing,adding,confirming,dreaming,wishing, hoping,anticipating etc,etc,etc...
i think we're in constant planning mode,even when we're not booked to go!!:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
And, the chorus refrain continues . . .
1) My first MEGA-vacation was 1995.
2) We had 17 family & extended family members.
3) I admit, I did go overboard on planning.
4) But, in the end, the trip was an acclaimed success.
5) Lately, the family says we don't need to plan any longer.
6) Sure, it is not written down.
7) But, they mentally have their plans.
8) When questioned, they do admit a pre-planned touring plan.
9) It is just that it doesn't require writing.
1) Just ADR's.

LudwigVonDrake
12-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I have been to WDW and don't plan anymore except for ADRs. I have changed drastically from the first trips where every day was commando and I was exhausted when the trip was over. Now it's a leisurely pace and a trip back to the hotel most days for a nap or a swim in the pool...or sometimes both :D