PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember the old Illuminations?

DisneyFr33k
12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
We watched illuminations, expecting it to be like it was in the early 90's (when we last saw it). We were very disappointed.

Anyone else remember the previous illuminations? The one where each country was announced and lit up in sync with the music?

I miss that one..... :(

bruin1344
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
yea i remember that, the individual countries would flash up on the globe, i remember france would light up the most and morocco always stayed dark

Bay Lake
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
New Years Eve is kind of like the old version, They show each country, with the lasers and native music.:santa2:

:newyear:

DisneyFr33k
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
New Years Eve is kind of like the old version, They show each country, with the lasers and native music.:santa2:

:newyear:

Cool! We'll have to go for New Years on year!

Yes, I remember the lazer show and each building around the world showcase would light up. It gave me chills!

Dyanna
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Hope one day they bring the "old" version back! I loved it!!!

jray21
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I loved it when they played the "beef Commercial" music. For some reason I always got hungry at that point:secret:

Imagineer1981
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Hence the name "Illuminations" ( Illuminate Nations).... I miss it too!!!!

Fangorn
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I remember it, but I can't say that I miss it. I always thought it was a bit cheesy and the music was stereotypical - the "Can-Can" for France, "Rodeo" for the US - not the most imaginative music choices.

On the other hand, I genuinely enjoy "Reflections of Earth". I think it's really good theatre, and I love the music.

"Tapestry of Nations" was better than either, both as a show and for the music. THAT, I miss.

But that's just my opinion.

Steve
:mickey:

Buttercup
12-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes, I do remember that one and miss how each building would do a little laser show with different music.
But I like the newer one too. Not as much - but it's still alright. I'd rather watch that every night at 9:00 than be at home watching Larry King! haha

Gator
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Hope one day they bring the "old" version back! I loved it!!!

There's absolutely no way that the old version could be better than the new version. No way.

SillySymphony
12-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Funny, isn't it how we all seem to love the ideals of progress in so many ways... For example... here we are congregating on a website which, when the first Illuminations! was born, didn't exist... And yet, for all the "progress" we are happy for... those things which we truly yearn for aren't ever signs of progress... this being just another fine example.

I've got the music for IllumiNations! and even IllumiNations 25. And, my guess is, with each passing version there were those who longed to see and hear the previous incarnation one more time... Personally, of all the various versions my favorite has been the Gavin Greenaway "Reflections of Earth". It is heroic and contemplative at the same time. Great score! Don Dorsey has created a great visual show to go with it. And I know that when it is finally replaced I will miss it.... But... look forward to the new version...

Darbylew
12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
We like the old verison better as well. We also
loved the parade they used to have at Epcot. I
wish they would bring it back as well. :(

Melanie
12-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Loved, loved, loved the old version! :thumbsup: Talked about it many times this past week while we were there, and we didn't even attempt to see the current version. Even had an awesome outside table in the UK which we gave up about 20 minutes prior to Illuminations starting.

While I don't wish for them to necessarily bring back the old version, I would love to see them move on from Reflections of Earth.

ILoveLegos
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I remember it, but I can't say that I miss it. I always thought it was a bit cheesy and the music was stereotypical - the "Can-Can" for France, "Rodeo" for the US - not the most imaginative music choices.

On the other hand, I genuinely enjoy "Reflections of Earth". I think it's really good theatre, and I love the music.

"Tapestry of Nations" was better than either, both as a show and for the music. THAT, I miss.

Steve

Yeah, on my first visit to Epcot - while watching that version of Illuminations, I thought at the end - I missed riding Horizons tonight for this???? I have plenty of "classical" music in my personal collection and the transitions seemed forced, it was not a seemless movement like Reflections of Earth's score currently exhibits. The lasers and fireworks of the original were not nearly as triumphant as the Castle fireworks in the Magic Kingdom to me, and they didn't meld together very well.

Sadly, that was my last visit to Epcot while Horizons was open.

On the other hand, the musical score of the current Illuminations ties the fireworks and lasers in nicely. I like the way the countries light up all together - it becomes more of a celebration of all people despite their nation of origin. More human, less patriotic - a celebration of LIFE!

So Fangorn, I too share your opinion. :secret:

Ian
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Steve
:mickey:Nope, it's not just your opinion. I agree with you 100%!

disneyworld55925592
12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
That was awesome, I also loved the old parade that went around the countries. It has an awesome soundtrack, with the people on stilts, i cant think of the name??:confused:

Fangorn
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
The parade was "Tapestry of Nations", later to become "Tapestry of Dreams" for the Millenium Celebration. The same music was used for for both, but they modified the storyline for "Dreams". Basically, the same parade though. I don't really care for parades, but that was and incredible experience.

Steve

IamBelle
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I have never seen it in person, but I have seen the old Illuminations on home video. It looked beautiful!! I remember the first time I saw it, I expected to see what I saw on the video, and I was wondering what happened to it. I think it would be great for that to come back. Or, maybe combine the two together somehow...

Tinksalot
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
I remember the old Illuminations. I miss it. I liked the way they lit up each country. :(

andreallybadeggs
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Well I really like Reflections of Earth but you can put me on the "cheesy" team because I loved the old show, Rodeo and all. Kind of like I enjoyed the "new" (not so new anymore) "Parent Trap" but not as much as the Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith version. Color me nostalgic or just call me a geezer, I guess. I accept change cheerfully, but I don't embrace it. :)

big blue and hairy
12-09-2009, 08:20 AM
While I did enjoy the previous version of Illuminations, this version just blows it out of the water. I remember the first time I saw this version. I just sat there the whole time with my mouth open. It is by far my favorite.

:sulley:

MaxPower
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
All versions of Illuminations that have followed the original have been disappointing in comparison.

The original felt like a true, choreographed show with "Wow" moments, surprises and some laughs thrown in.

All subsequent versions have been "stand here and watch fireworks while we play music."

I wrote a description of the original Illuminations and posted it here a year ago. Here it is:

I may be in the minority, but Illuminations took a turn for the worse when the original version was scrapped and the globe was introduced with the newer version.

The original Illuminations used to be wonderful when each country was lit individually as a well-known song from that country was played (For example, The Can Can was played while France was illuminated).

I always got chills when the all of the countries had been illuminated and then all of their lights were dimmed so that the USA could have its turn. The American Adventure was then illuminated to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. And there is no better song to choreograph fireworks to than Rhapsody in Blue.

I loved how visiting foreigners would cheer when their country had its turn.

I loved the cuckoo clock at the end of Germany's song which always made the crowd laugh.

I loved how children and parents alike would clap to the music that they recognized from each country, most of which were VERY well-known classic songs.

And the fireworks at the end were true representations of what World Showcase is supposed to be: Celebrating each country as an individual, but then coming together as one united world in the end.

As a terrific final touch, after the final blast of fireworks, a spinning globe was projected onto Spaceship Earth with lasers as guests exited the park and an instrumental version of "It's a Small World" played throughout the park speakers.

I will take Gershwin, humor, national pride and some of the best music the world has ever known over a video globe and canned Disney singers any day of the week.

Loweschevy
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I remember when they used to show Illuminations only a few nights a week. I remember it being on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sunday for quite a few years. then eventually it was presented every night

DisneyFr33k
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
All versions of Illuminations that have followed the original have been disappointing in comparison.

The original felt like a true, choreographed show with "Wow" moments, surprises and some laughs thrown in.

All subsequent versions have been "stand here and watch fireworks while we play music."

I wrote a description of the original Illuminations and posted it here a year ago. Here it is:

I may be in the minority, but Illuminations took a turn for the worse when the original version was scrapped and the globe was introduced with the newer version.

The original Illuminations used to be wonderful when each country was lit individually as a well-known song from that country was played (For example, The Can Can was played while France was illuminated).

I always got chills when the all of the countries had been illuminated and then all of their lights were dimmed so that the USA could have its turn. The American Adventure was then illuminated to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. And there is no better song to choreograph fireworks to than Rhapsody in Blue.

I loved how visiting foreigners would cheer when their country had its turn.

I loved the cuckoo clock at the end of Germany's song which always made the crowd laugh.

I loved how children and parents alike would clap to the music that they recognized from each country, most of which were VERY well-known classic songs.

And the fireworks at the end were true representations of what World Showcase is supposed to be: Celebrating each country as an individual, but then coming together as one united world in the end.

As a terrific final touch, after the final blast of fireworks, a spinning globe was projected onto Spaceship Earth with lasers as guests exited the park and an instrumental version of "It's a Small World" played throughout the park speakers.

I will take Gershwin, humor, national pride and some of the best music the world has ever known over a video globe and canned Disney singers any day of the week.

Your description brought me back.... and gave me chills. That was the best. I wish they would bring it back.

cd3000
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I love all the firework shows at Epcot. My fav part of the old fireworks was the fiesta song in the beginning with the whistles.

My fav part for this one now is the the purple fireworks part before the end of the first cd track before the lady sings we go on. ( the part where some people think the show is over)

CaptainSad
12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I did like all the versions., but times change. But the best version is the one they are doing right now during the Christmas season. The "Let There Be Peace On Earth version" just sends chills down my body. :thumbsup:

Touchdown
12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I only saw the original Illuminations as a 5 year old so my memory is sketchy at best on that one, I just remember liking it a whole lot more then FiS.

However, I can say something about Illuminations 25. I think people are putting that one up a little higher then it should. People complain about the "dead time" in ROE when the Earth is spinning, but there was plenty of dead time in I25 where really bad laser projections and fountains were the only thing happening. When we had originally planned out our week there, we had scheduled 3 nights at Epcot because of such fond memories of the original show, but we quickly rescheduled one of those night so we could watch the brand new Fantasmic show 3 times instead.

ROE is a much better show by far.