PDA

View Full Version : Bragging!

tyandskyesmom
12-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I just needed somewhere to brag on Skyler's Cheer Squad...

This weekend we spent a very long three days at NIU for the IRCA State Championship.

Skye's squad is made up of KG, 1st, and 2nd graders. They start the season the last week of July, cheer for football games, and compete in two competitions from the end of October to early November. This year we joined IRCA and found that the competitons we attended were qualifying meets. At the first one our Pee-Wees and Widgets qualified. At the second one our Supers and Juniors qualified. Becasue technically the Supers are exhibition for regular competions, they had to score a 78 or higer to earn their bid.

So after qualifying at what was supposed to be the end of their season, they continued to practice three times a week for two hours a night for the next month. During that time, the end of their routine was changed to add some additional difficulty...and SKYE was where a lot of it was added..they now had three stunts (compared to the one that they qualified with) and SKye was doing a lib (standing on one leg with her bases support while lifting the foot of her other leg to her knee) and a full (where her bases raise her other their head, arms fully extended) as opposed to the half that the other stunt was. They also added two more jumps. All of this was done within the last month!!!

Those little girls (while still being hyper, talkative little girls!) worked their butts off to get to where they did and performed great!

They left the competition last night each with a trophy and one for the team that is about an inch taller than Skye...for earning SECOND place!!!!! We are all so proud of them!!!!

They missed the first place team by 2.1 points! On the bright side, the team that won was very good so seeing as we came that close, it was a great weekend!

Those little girls went home very happy and VERY tired!

So now if I coild only get them into a competition in DIsney World...I'd bw one extatic momma!!!

Ok so, thnax for letting me brag!

Disney4us2
12-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Congrats to DD and her cheer squad.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
12-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, that's great! Congratulations.

Weren't you having trouble with one of the coaches being a problem earlier this year? Sounds like that all worked out. :thumbsup:

tyandskyesmom
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, that's great! Congratulations.

Weren't you having trouble with one of the coaches being a problem earlier this year? Sounds like that all worked out. :thumbsup:

We did have some coaching issues this year. I am still not sure of the head coach and some of the decisions she makes for them but we are trying to overcome that and make her more receptive to help or other points of view or ideas.

We started out with 22 girls between the ages of 5 and 8, one head coach, one assistant, and two demos (high school girls). We lost one of the demos around the end of September, the other is a cheerleader at the high school so she was around as much as she could be, and the assistant was going to college and on a dance squad and had a lot things that prevented her from being at practice a lot. Then after the competition that was earned our bid at I remembered my cousin's daughter was a freshman cheerleader and might be interested in jumping in to heol so she was around for the last 4 weeks or so (and probably more than any other one of the coaches for the whole season) so that was a big help! I would guess that most of the time we had one or two coaches at practice for 22 girls. I think that was out biggest downfall and unfortunately always am inclined to think "if we they did this will with inadequate coaching, think what they could have done with a good team of coaches!". So I have told her that I would like to be an assistant for next year. I don't have a cheer background but I am there at each and every practice and think that the little details could make all the difference.

So in the end, we worked out a lot of our issues and whatever we all did to support the team must have worked becasue they ended up with a great season!

RedSoxFan
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Congrats!!

crazypoohbear
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
:mickey:Congrats!
She must be very proud of herself!