PDA

View Full Version : Epcot was not so magical

wildernesslady
12-05-2009, 04:59 PM
First let me start by saying we had a great time at the world. It was my daughter and a friend of mine there for some holiday magic. We were quite surprised that the lighted arch as you enter World Showcase was not up. This is one of our favorite holiday spots in Epcot. We asked someone about it and were told there were changes made this year. Why cut out something that already exists? Very disappointing. We were also told that the choir got new gowns for the candlelight processional. What does one thing have to do with another?

We trully had a lot of fun and laughs and enjoyed all the parks. We just wished the arch was there.

DVC2004
12-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah it was called the Lights of WInter and it's been a sore subject around here for the past few weeks. How disappointing! Many of us are puzzled why they would do away with this.

Gator
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm sure you won't be the only one to come back upset about the Lights of Winter cancellation. Still, you were at WDW, and that's nothing to complain about. It's a really cool decoration, but at least it's not your favorite attraction going down while you're there. That would really stink.

ransam
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
yea, i'm still not sure why they did that....it already existed...and they didn't add anything....

cd3000
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Agree, Epcot does look sad without it this year.

ThanxForNoticin
12-07-2009, 12:16 PM
We were there last week, and it's a HUGE disappointment that they took away those lights. It was a very big part of our Christmas enjoyment at EPCOT. I sure do hope they decide bring them back again - soon.

Scar
12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
yea, i'm still not sure why they did that....it already existed...and they didn't add anything....

The official excuse... I mean reason, was that the technology became obsolete. I know, sounds unbelievable, but I'm serious.

JabberJaws
12-07-2009, 01:21 PM
The official excuse... I mean reason, was that the technology became obsolete. I know, sounds unbelievable, but I'm serious.

Yeah odd to think that christmas lights became obsolete huh haha.

I have no source on this, but my gut says budget cuts. Doesn't seem like it would be a big expense, but maintenance costs, time, etc would all cost a little bit of money, so I have a feeling they cut it to save a buck, thinking no one would really care.

For example, our town's christmas tree lighting featured a few scattered, small scale LED light displays (snowmen playing, elves tossing presents, etc.) They went small scale b/c the displays they originally wanted were going to cost $50,000. That set up would have still paled in comparison to the Epcot setup, so those lights aren't as cheap as you'd think.

Polynesian Dweller
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Not at all unbelievable that it's obsolete technology. They've been around at least 14 years (we have pictures in 1995 of them). Not many Christmas lights from 1995 that can be fixed now if they go. So yes, it's old technology (medieval in tech terms) and from Italy originally. So not hard to imagine they have become obsolete.

They were nice and we all miss things when they finally go. Change from the familiar is hard but even Walt said his parks would always be changing and since the arches were put in they've added the Osborne lights and a couple of years ago the lights on the castle. Always new stuff coming, if not this year then next.

Scar
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Not at all unbelievable that it's obsolete technology. They've been around at least 14 years (we have pictures in 1995 of them). Not many Christmas lights from 1995 that can be fixed now if they go. So yes, it's old technology (medieval in tech terms) and from Italy originally. So not hard to imagine they have become obsolete.

They were nice and we all miss things when they finally go. Change from the familiar is hard but even Walt said his parks would always be changing and since the arches were put in they've added the Osborne lights and a couple of years ago the lights on the castle. Always new stuff coming, if not this year then next.Oh, I don't doubt that it is obsolete, I just don't believe that's the reason they removed them. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean people can't still enjoy them. My father owns a 1941 Ford that is certainly obsolete but he still enjoys driving it.

And they were not "changed". They were "removed".

pokci
12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
OKay so I just got back, yesterday and have to say I did not miss those lights at all. :secret: They always looked out of place, somehow. I love that now you can focus on the tree and the spectacle of the lights around the lagoon at night. Walking along Rose Lane, I also took the time to really look at the upside down fountains lights. Between the aroma of the roses in bloom and the beautiful colors of the lights and the tree behind me and the twinkling lights around the lagoon, it was all the Christmas magic I needed!

BluewaterBrad
12-07-2009, 03:03 PM
One display was gone and that made your trip not magical? Once again if the negative aspects of WDW continue for you I would suggest another destination. Keep WDW for the people that show up time after time with positive thoughts and experiences!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I have to agree that I wouldn't miss the arches. While they were nice, they did kind of distract from the view of world showcase

Polynesian Dweller
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that it is obsolete, I just don't believe that's the reason they removed them. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean people can't still enjoy them. My father owns a 1941 Ford that is certainly obsolete but he still enjoys driving it.

And they were not "changed". They were "removed".
There's a lot of difference between a 1941 Ford and animated Christmas lights. Remember that they flashed in time to music which certainly required a form of computerization. Whose got the chips etc for 1995 elevtronics?

That's what would be obsolete. When you can't fix em you can't display em so you remove em.

wildernesslady
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
One display was gone and that made your trip not magical? Once again if the negative aspects of WDW continue for you I would suggest another destination. Keep WDW for the people that show up time after time with positive thoughts and experiences!:mickey:

Wow! Maybe you should re-read my post. I had a great time. This was one aspect that I truly missed since the purpose of the trip was to enjoy all the holiday decorations.

MNNHFLTX
12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Moderator Warning--

Just to remind people to keep the discussion civil and non-judgemental. The OP has the right to state the things she disliked on her trip to WDW as well as those she liked.

Having just been there myself, I can say that it was a little disappointing not to have the archway lights up. As far as the technology being obselete, that may be true, but it's hard to understand why it could not be updated with new technology. The Osborne Lights are still touted as the original, but it's clear that most of them have been updated with LED lights. I wonder if that might have been an option for the Lights of Winter.

ayeckley
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Remember that they flashed in time to music which certainly required a form of computerization. Whose got the chips etc for 1995 elevtronics?

That's what would be obsolete. When you can't fix em you can't display em so you remove em.

Parts for 1995 electronics are trivial to obtain, and not particularly expensive (it's still easy to get brand new tubes for 1960's era electronics). There's also lots of technically-talented people out there capable of doing the work, so I'm confident that their removal has more to do with budget or aesthetics than technical feasibility.

Although they were beautiful to look at, I have to admit that they did seem somewhat out of place.

andreallybadeggs
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I missed the big tree in the lobby at GF. At least it wasn't replaced with a huge animatronic Stitch and happily the gingerbread house is still there.

d_m_n_n
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I missed the big tree in the lobby at GF. At least it wasn't replaced with a huge animatronic Stitch and happily the gingerbread house is still there.

The GF tree is gone too?!?!?! :eek:

wildernesslady
12-09-2009, 02:16 PM
There was a big tree in lobby last week. It was the same one we did our Christmas picture in front of in 2000. Did you mean somewhere other that the lobby? We came in through the monorail so we did not see the front of the resort. The gingerbread looked great as always. There was even a chef making small ones for us to see, and gave out samples. Yummy.

andreallybadeggs
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
There was a big tree in lobby last week. It was the same one we did our Christmas picture in front of in 2000. Did you mean somewhere other that the lobby? We came in through the monorail so we did not see the front of the resort. The gingerbread looked great as always. There was even a chef making small ones for us to see, and gave out samples. Yummy.
No, I meant the lobby so that is good news because it wasn't there just before Thanksgiving. Guess they were just a little later putting it up than they had been the last time we were there in Nov. That year it was up mid Nov.

WedWay Peoplemover
12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
It may also be that there is also another school of thought.

I didn't' really find it appealing.. and I may not have been the only one.

Joannelet
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Having just been there myself, I can say that it was a little disappointing not to have the archway lights up. As far as the technology being obselete, that may be true, but it's hard to understand why it could not be updated with new technology. The Osborne Lights are still touted as the original, but it's clear that most of them have been updated with LED lights. I wonder if that might have been an option for the Lights of Winter.

I was thinking that maybe they concentrated too much on the LED lights over at DHS that they didn't have the time to convert them over at Epcot and just decided not to do it for that reason alone.....

It was amusing however walking through Epcot one night last week-it was sunday the 6th and seeing an entire section of the tree out. My cousin and I kept wondering how many Disney workers were flipping out over that behind the scenes that they couldn't fix it till after the park closed. It was sadly an eyesore.

LoriMistress
12-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Maybe they didn't have a chance to change them out to be LED lights?

Bellewannabe
12-18-2009, 11:02 PM
We were there two weeks ago and sorely missed the arches of light. It was our first trip to truly enjoy the holiday decorations but the arches are part of many good Marathon memories (early January). They were missed in December and will be missed during the marathon in 2010.

sorcerer fan
12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
while we were there last week, a cast member said they were unhappy about losing the lights too. she said to go to guest relations and complain. I did and they said they would add my name to the list of people that were complaining about it. Maybe if we get enough people complaining, they'll do something about it. If they can spend all that money on doing the osborne lights dancing to music,
I think they can fix the lights at epcot.

JPL
12-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I have to say Epcot looked empty without Lights of Winter it was definately disappointing not seeing them this year. Let's hope they get the message and they return with a new and improved version next year

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I have to say Epcot looked empty without Lights of Winter it was definately disappointing not seeing them this year. Let's hope they get the message and they return with a new and improved version next year

It did seem a little weird watching Samantha Brown's old Christmas special from DL & WDW on The Travel Channel yesterday, hearing her talking about how beautiful the Lights of Winter are and showing the tree lighting ceremony.
Guess they didn't have time to edit the tape...:blush:

wildernesslady
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I did send a letter to customer relations hoping they bring them back. Maybe if enough people do, they might listen.

Daisy'sMom
12-27-2009, 03:56 PM
We also missed the lights at Epcot. We also felt cheated when we noticed the decorations were missing from the usual spots at MK. With the exception of Main Street, there were hardly any. The only park that was decorated as usual was HS. With the exception of the large Christmas Tree at the entrance missing lights in the middle (which happen to be the same place they were out last year), it looked very festive.:(

pirateyankee80
01-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow ...going to Disney 11/26 - 12/4 2010 for first winter trip to see holiday lights. Guess I can't miss what I have never seen in the first place.
Glass is half full.........:confused: