PDA

View Full Version : WDWorld Traveler Review - O Canada!

Red Randal
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I thought I'd celebrate the NFL's triumphant (?) regular season debut in Canada last night with a visit to Canada of my own! Well, sort of. Actually a visit to Epcot's Canada!

O Canada!

Intro: Tucked in the back of the rocky and beautiful gardens of Epcot’s Canada pavilion is “O Canada!” A “Circle-Vision 360” production, the original film was completed in 1981 using Disney’s unique technique that surrounds the viewers with screens. The film traces its history all the way back to Expo 67 in Montreal so it should come as no surprise that FORTY YEARS LATER it was starting to feel dated and thus was updated with the addition of Martin Short and some new footage for the fall of 2007.

Queue: We hang out in a mine of some sort waiting to be led into the theater. If you’re here and there’s actually a line then you need to consider visiting Walt Disney World sometime other than Christmas and the 4th of July.

Show: We open up with a blizzard and the voice of DON PARDO telling us that in Canada it is cold and snows 365 days a year and everyone lives in igloos. Martin Short interrupts to correct this description and provide a real view of Canada from a real Canadian – himself! Don Pardo (OK, that might not have really been Don Pardo, but it sounded like him) leaves for the France pavilion.

We head to Niagara Falls to check out the far more impressive Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side. Then we visit New Brunswick and follow a train across the west coast of Vancouver for beautiful gardens and the almost century old trees of the nearby forest. We check out some Canadian wildlife like polar bears and moose.

Some folks snowboard and ski and even CURL. Martin Short loves curling…apparently. We switch to the famous skating scene from the original film with people skating on all sides of us. “In the winter our favorite form of transportation is skating.” Alright, Martin Short, if you’re going to get mad at Don Pardo for perpetuating stereotypes then you don’t get to do it yourself. To further this point, we get to watch some hockey.

Its time for more sports like whitewater rafting, sailing, and baseball (complete with Joe Carter winning the World Series!) Because if there’s something Canadians have embraced over the last decade it’s been BASEBALL!

We move on to check out some Canadian cities like Victoria and Vancouver, BC, home of the Canadian film industry! “Vancouver doesn’t look like anywhere, it doesn’t even look like Vancouver!” (Bonus points if you can tell me where that quote’s from!) Next up is Calgary, gateway to the Rocky Mountains and home of the Calgary Stampede rodeo. (What? Nothing about Bret Hart? Posh!)

We move on to the “sophistication” of Toronto and “the cradle of French civilization” in Quebec. Listen, if I wanted to see French people I would have left with Don Pardo! Martin Short then stops to plug Cirque du Soleil! Really? Synergy? Here? Now?

We get some pictures of Canadian entertainers like Jim Carrey and Mike Myers before we’re introduced to “the real stars of Canada”: the Canadian people. “This would be a perfect place for a song,” says Martin Short and, what do you know, the Mounties surround us and the new and improved version of “Canada (You’re A Lifetime Journey)” by Canadian Idol fourth season winner Eva Avilia begins. The musical montage includes some of the more breathtaking Circle-Vision shots from the original film including the Rocky Mountains and the breathtaking Canadian sunset.

We return to Niagara Falls and Martin Short tells us to head right out of the theater and go due north to Canada! He, however, has to go use his Fastpass for Soarin.

Thoughts: If this sounds 100% like an advertisement from the Canadian Tourism Commission, well, it is. But it’s a really good one! Like, seriously, as I was watching this I was thinking “you know what, I really want to go to Canada” (when I wasn’t making up maple syrup jokes in my head.)

Martin Short is funny but not annoying and the film is a perfectly enjoyable way to spend ten minutes at Epcot.

Overall Rating: *** ½

garymacd
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
At the risk of starting an off-topic rant:

NFL?

Keep it!

We have the CFL - and at about a quarter of the cost.

Oskee-Wee wee!

Red Randal
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
NFL?

Keep it!

Based on the number of empty seats I saw last night at Rogers Center, I'm pretty sure we will be keeping it.

Gator
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I think the film is pretty nice and the 360 effect is great. But it's the 360 that leads to my biggest beef of the attraction: you have to stand to really enjoy it. After walking all over Epcot all day long, I want to watch a film where I can sit. It's the reason I stop for the Norway video - even those wooden seats are better than standing for 10 minutes.

GrmGrninGost
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
One of the better shows around. However, I thought the old show was better! :mickey:

darthmacho
12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
A good movie, but nothing i'd need to see again.

bruin1344
12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
boring just like the china and france movies

Stu29573
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I had never bothered to see it until this last trip. I actually really liked it. The bummer was that it was the last thing we did before we left for home (other than grabbing some fish and chips in England) so it was a little bitter-sweet.

Lakin
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM
My family ran into this and decided to see this our last trip a few weeks ago.

We thought it was pretty cool! We learned some stuff and the 360 view was cool. Plus, we like Martin Short. :)

PopeCharming
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I am not an Epcot luddite- sometimes new shows are improvements on old ones- but the new O Canada with Martin Short is, for me, the strongest example of Disney screwing up something that was fine to begin with. Even more so than Imagination.

The entire film felt forced- the humor was forced and drew attention to Martin Short rather than Canada. The entire sequence where the children play hockey and make fun of young Martin's lack of skill is only the most outstanding example of this. And the focus was forced- it seemed like some sort of Canadian urban booster league hijacked the film crew and forced them to use footage of one anonymous Canadian city after another- at the expense of its expansive and inspiring wilderness- the strongest feature of the original film. The film , overall, felt more like a vehicle to showcase Martin Short than a vehicle to tell us about Canada- an unpardonable offense, given that Short has already had his day in the sun in Disney World attractions.

I don't mean to dwell on the negative- there's so much about the World Showcase and Epcot that I love- but I can't help but feel this was a botched job.

Red Randal
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
the new O Canada with Martin Short is, for me, the strongest example of Disney screwing up something that was fine to begin with. Even more so than Imagination.

The entire sequence where the children play hockey and make fun of young Martin's lack of skill is only the most outstanding example of this. And the focus was forced- it seemed like some sort of Canadian urban booster league hijacked the film crew and forced them to use footage of one anonymous Canadian city after another- at the expense of its expansive and inspiring wilderness- the strongest feature of the original film.

I don't know if I would go quite that far. I think these kinds of films lose a lot of credibility when they are so obviously out dated. And it's not like the original film was SUCH a classic that it should have been preserved for posterity's sake (like, say, Carousel of Progress.)

I think they had the right balance of using a celebrity's strength without making the show completely focused on the celebrity (like Ellen's Energy Adventure.) I will agree with you that the ice hockey scene was a little overdone but I'm willing to let it slide.

And if it seemed like a "Canadian urban booster league" hijacked the film, it's because one did! The Canadian Tourism Commission really did lobby for the update to the film, that wasn't just a joke I made in the review. This film is what the Canadian government wanted to advertise about their country. I guess they figure everyone already knows Canada is a great place to hunt or camp but maybe doesn't know about all the film festivals and urban culture. Be it as it may.

MinnieMommie
12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the well detailed description of O Canada. :mickey:

PopeCharming
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know if I would go quite that far. I think these kinds of films lose a lot of credibility when they are so obviously out dated. And it's not like the original film was SUCH a classic that it should have been preserved for posterity's sake (like, say, Carousel of Progress.)

I think they had the right balance of using a celebrity's strength without making the show completely focused on the celebrity (like Ellen's Energy Adventure.) I will agree with you that the ice hockey scene was a little overdone but I'm willing to let it slide.

And if it seemed like a "Canadian urban booster league" hijacked the film, it's because one did! The Canadian Tourism Commission really did lobby for the update to the film, that wasn't just a joke I made in the review. This film is what the Canadian government wanted to advertise about their country. I guess they figure everyone already knows Canada is a great place to hunt or camp but maybe doesn't know about all the film festivals and urban culture. Be it as it may.

Ah- see, I didn't read the hidden text before responding, so I missed that comment initially! Your points are well made, and I understand why some like the film- part of the problem, I suppose, was that it was the first attraction my family and I saw during my last visit, and so it was a bit...hm...anticlimactic isn't the right word...an anti-overture, if you will, to start the trip with a revised O Canada that wasn't to our liking.