PDA

View Full Version : So Excited & Nervous!

Tinkerbella
12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I just wanted to share with you guys that I just signed up for my first half marathon! I am so excited but nervous. I'm only running, on average, 8 miles a week. I'm really going to have to bump up my game to get prepared.

I signed up for the Shamrock'n Half Marathon in Sacramento on March 14th! My women's fitness group starts our training in January. Any tips from vets would be much appreciated!

rubato
12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Congratulations!!!!:number1:
I'm right there with you. I signed up for my first half in April, 2010. I've never run a race before, but run 3 or 4 miles a couple of times a week for fitness. Then, last year, I hurt my knee and have only been walking. But, I'm turning 40 right at the time of this half marathon and thought, why not? That's how I want to hit 40! So, I've started training early. I'm up to running about 3 days a week with one of them being a long run. Last week, I ran 8 miles. And, I did it pretty fast.

What is your goal? Do you have a time you'd like to accomplish, or is finishing your goal?;) It's good that you are training with a group. I'm on my own and really feel it sometimes. I don't have any advice, but to say that it's wonderful that you are going to do this. There are lots of running websites out there with lots of advice and support.

weswerx
12-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Awesome! and Congratulations!

I'm running my first 1/2 marathon in New Orleans on Feb. 28th and I'm also very excited.
My "official" training program starts tomorrow. I've had to take it easy for a while now because of shin splints...so, don't overdo it for a while.
Make sure you've got some good running shoes and check out some of the runner's web sites.
And keep some ice and ibuprofin (sp?) close by.
Just have fun and enjoy your race.
Feel free to email me if you want.
:hurdle::bolt:

Tinkerbella
12-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys!

Rubato, my goal is to finish with an average of 10 minute miles, at least. However, I will take what I can get since it's my first marathon and I will be happy just to have a sense of accomplishment upon completion. :cloud9:

Wes, good luck on your training! You'll be great as we all will!

A Big Kid
12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
The most important aspect of any running program is the shoes. DO NOT scrimp on the shoes! Be prepared to pay $85 and up for a good pair of running shoes. Go to a reputable running store in your area and bring an old pair of shoes. There are three types of running shoes - stability, motion control and cusioning. Depending on your foot type, you need one of those types of shoes. An inspection of your current shoe wear pattern will tell you what kind of shoe you need. The correct shoe will prevent injuries and make your running more enjoyable.

Did I mention you need to be prepared to pay a lot for shoes. And you'll probably have to pay that every 2.5 - 3 months.

Get a good running partner or group to run with. When you depend on someone else and vice versa, you stayed motivated.
Congrats and good luck!