PDA

View Full Version : Laptop cooler?

tinksmom02
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Can anyone recommend a laptop cooler/cooling fan? I'd like to get one for my mom for Christmas, but 1. I don't want to spend a ton on it, and 2. it has to be pretty quiet.

She is currently using a wooden picture frame (that DD made for her :() under the laptop to keep air circulating.

So maybe she doesn't need a fan system, but just something to vent the air?

Any advice is welcome!

(Oh, her laptop is about 17')

DizneyRox
11-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Buy a $2 bottle of canned air and blow out the dust build up in the cooling vents.

There's not a lot of room inside those laptops and with a 17" you're probably running a desktop CPU which runs hotter and needs more ventilation than a true laptop CPU. When it gets hot the fans run more/faster causing more noise.

Get rid of the dust buildup and you're probably golden.

Tinkermom
11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I have the overheating issues with my laptop as well. It is very frustrating and happens mainly when I am in bed and it is on my lap or if it is on the couch. Dust is definitely not an issue since this has been happening from the day I got the laptop. I need to place something under the laptop to allow for circulation - your mom's picture frame is a good idea - LOL! I usually use a small tray but it is not really the right size and my laptop keeps tipping. I too would love any suggestions for a laptop cooler! :)

DizneyRox
11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh, on any soft surface you'll surely block the vents. Pick up a nice sheet of 1/4" plywood, cut it to shape and stain it to match your decor. That will keep the vents clean and help the circulation.

Those laptop coolers kindof take the laptop out of laptop computers.

tinksmom02
11-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Mom doesn't really use the laptop as a laptop; she has a table she keeps it on. I was just wondering if anyone has used any particular brand. Like I said, I'm not even sure that a fan is necessary, just something to prop it up and let air circulate.

magicofdisney
11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
My laptop used to overheat until I came up with a solution. It is essential to blow it with the can of air occasionally, as previously mentioned. But I had a cookie rack I'd picked up from Bed Bath & Beyond. It is the same width as my laptop and it's elevated about 2 inches. It's the perfect height to allow complete air circulation.

I did not buy this cookie rack for my laptop (it actually came in a pack of 3 for $10) but this re-purposing has worked great.

IloveDisney71
12-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I bought a Belkin brand laptop fan from Best Buy for about $35. It keeps my laptop really cool and my lap as well. :thumbsup: It does make some noise but I got used to it pretty quickly. If I have the tv or radio on I don't notice the noise of the fan at all.

Ed
12-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I bought a Belkin brand laptop fan from Best Buy for about $35. It keeps my laptop really cool and my lap as well. :thumbsup: It does make some noise but I got used to it pretty quickly. If I have the tv or radio on I don't notice the noise of the fan at all.

:ditto: except that I got mine at Costco for about $29. It plugs into a USB port. As mentioned, it is a bit noisy, but it definitely does keep the laptop cool.

IloveDisney71
12-12-2009, 07:31 PM
:ditto: except that I got mine at Costco for about $29. It plugs into a USB port. As mentioned, it is a bit noisy, but it definitely does keep the laptop cool.

We don't have a Costco anywhere around my house but I wish we did! :D