PDA

View Full Version : Service levels and the current economy

SignguyTom
11-27-2009, 09:38 AM
One thing I have noticed in the weak economy is that the level of customer service locally (Phoenix) has improved noticably. Several people ask to help every time I go to the grocery store or Home Depot. Fast food and convenience store clerks are friendlier and greet you with a smile. This was not the case a year ago, at least not as much. It seems that they have reinstated decent service to try to get customers to patronize their businesses.

Is this also the case at WDW? I know service has always been important to Disney, but have they stepped it up a notch to offset some of the cutbacks? I know nodody's perfect, so I'm not talking about the inevitable server forgetting your soda refill, I mean the overall feel. Things like CMs talking to YOU insted of each other, gladly helping with directions even though they may have a totally different mission, saying HI as you walk by the shops, etc.

Just curious... :mickey:

disneyboundagain
11-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I need to move to Phoenix, 'cause it sure ain't that way in western PA.:(:(

To answer your question, I didn't notice any improvement when we were there in August. If anything, CM's at the resort were less friendly. Of course this could be attributed to the fact that we were staying in a Moderate, and we normally stay in Deluxe. As far as at the parks, I didn't notice any differences at all.

SignguyTom
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I need to move to Phoenix, 'cause it sure ain't that way in western PA.:(:(

Wow, that's too bad. Unemployment is about 11% here right now and the people who are working seem to appreciate the fact they have a job. I have been in & out of work for 7 months and have learned to never take my job for granted.

disneyboundagain
11-27-2009, 05:59 PM
The last I heard, the unemployment here was 7.7% (up 2% over the past two years). The housing market over the past two years is between -0.5% and even, depending on the source.

Boost
11-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Even on a CM's worst day, the WDW spirit shines through more often than not.

I cannot say the same for Universal.

There is just a higher expectation at Disney....probably akin to a 4-5 star resort stay, which is the best description that I can think of.

passholderryan
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I see posts like this come up from time to time, with alot of complaints about castmembers. I must be one of the lucky ones that never seems to have a problem. Although I always try to greet the CM with a positive attitude and hope that if the CM is having a bad day, it may make it a little better.

BluewaterBrad
11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I have never had a "rude" CM. Yes, I have run into a CM that was probably having a bad day, but all in all they are fantastic! Now rude guests.................thats a whole different story!!:mickey: