PDA

View Full Version : POFQ - My Review

Melanie
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
We had a great time this past weekend at WDW, where we stayed for 3 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter. :mickey:

Now, I'm prepared for the backlash because I know this resort is VERY popular, but we weren't overly impressed. :blush:

I was very excited to stay at this resort after hearing such great things, and it was the lone moderate we hadn't yet tried out. The small size is the best thing this resort has going for it, IMO. We were in building 4 which was right in the heart of everything. But really, no building is far away, which is wonderful. We really enjoyed the convenience of being 'right there'. The room itself was nice. Loved the pedestal sinks and the curtain separating the bath and sleeping areas, and there was even a a great Herb Ryman Disneyland New Orleans Square print in our room! :thumbsup:

I guess it boils down to overall themeing, which we just weren't that crazy about. The HUGE Mardi Gras masks and decorations at Sassagoula Floatworks kinda freaked my family out, and the sea serpent pool fell flat with us. The lack of a full service restaurant and a very small gift shop were also minuses.

I'm glad we gave it a try and killed that cat, so to speak. Of the Port Orleans resorts, the old south will be calling our name in the future. :)

garymacd
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your review, Melanie. Very well balanced. I don't think anyone will be lynching you for your honest opinion.

Even though POFQ is my favourite resort.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I agree, a very fair review.

We love POFQ, as you stated, mainly due to the small size and having everything close by. Although, on our last trip, we were surprised that DD much prefered the POR pool to the serpent pool, so the close pool wasn't much of an advantage in the end.

PetefromRI
11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
We also love the POFQ,but your review was spot on.I think this is what makes Disney so neat.There is a resort for everyone.We love Disney and all the resorts but recently we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and I have to say that we liked that better than any Disney resort.We still love Disney,it's my happy place,but everyone likes something different in a resort.We'll be going back to the French Quarter in May and can't wait.

Seasonscraps
11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your review!

I always like the idea of POFQ because of the size but the lack of TS restaurant usually steers me towards POR.

Like you said, now you know you don't love it there. I am glad you had a good trip!

Gregandmel
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the honest review! We'll be staying there for the first time in April and we are going in sort of knowing we might prefer POR for the sheer fact there is more to do there. HOwever, we chose FQ due to the smaller size. We are looking forward to it though. We were are Wilderness Lodge last time so I already know we will be missing it - but are excited to try something new anyways. Thanks!!

gauvin4
11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the review. I think you were very fair in your assessment. I am a fan of POFQ. I love the small size and that it never feels crowded (even during christmas week).

While there is no TS restaurant and the gift shop is small, I have always enjoyed the short walk to POR for dinner and some shopping.

gueli
11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
In a few days I will be able to offer a review.
Thank you for a well balanced- oh wait I can steal a tag line- a fair and balanced review...:thumbsup:

I think the size is what lured me to book here, but my expectations are not too high...

Melanie
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
While there is no TS restaurant and the gift shop is small, I have always enjoyed the short walk to POR for dinner and some shopping.

Yes, the walk is very doable and enjoyable. My DH and I did it Sunday night. We enjoyed appetizers and drinks at the lounge, then shopped at Fulton's. :thumbsup:

c&d
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree with everything you said. I too was a little disappointed when we stayed there because of all the rave reviews. It came down to the themeing, it just didn't impress us.

Hammer
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Mel, thanks for a very fair review. I understand your fear of backlash, as I am not a fan of POR due to 2 bad experiences there and this resort is very beloved on here. All you can do is give an honest opinion.

Patricia
11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the review.

I've stayed a few time at POR, but never had the desire to stay at FQ. Although I will walk over there for the Beignets, I was never overly impressed by the food court or pool area. I thought I was missing something.

faline
11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
There are other resorts that folks have raved about and I've put in the okay category but not as a favorite. We had our first stay in this resort a couple of months ago. While I did not expect that I would find it more than okay, we actually found it quite charming and greatly enjoyed our stay there. In fact, we've booked another stay at this resort next year.

We each have our favorites and places we like less well - guess it's good that Disney provides so much variety for us!

KatMark
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Very nice review. I tend to agree with you. We visited the POFQ last year as we wanted to look around again as we always said it would be our back up resort if the CSR were not available for our dates. However, after visiting, we too didn't care for the "masks" in the food court, the shop was very tiny compared to what we are used to and the pool small/crowded and no quiet pools. But this is what is so great about Disney--something for every one.

HoosierDisneyFan
11-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Interesting review... We enjoy POFQ because of the size and transportation (boat to DTD, centrally located to the parks and generally picks up & drops off first when joint buses with POR). That said we generally spend most of our time in the parks and DTD so our "resort time" is some what limited. I guess if we were to plan "off days" from the parks, we may look to stay at another resort.

mudpuppysmom
11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I think you gave a very fair assessment of POFQ. We stayed there a few years ago and had free dining.....We were in Bldg 7, which was pretty "far out" yet a five minute walk to the food court and lobby.

One thing I did like about being out there was that each night DH could drive right up to our door and drop DS and I off (if he was sleeping it was great!). There was also very little noise out there.

The bus service I thought was not great though being that you share with POR and they have I swear 20 stops!

We liked POFQ, but not enough to stay there again for a while I think. It's not a bad place, it's not a fantastic place.....it's in the middle, thus termed a moderate appropriately!

Stickey
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
A fair review, especially as every one has their own tastes and preferences.

I rate POFQ as our favorite moderate. Compact resort layout, beignets, good theming, and the boat to DTD are strengths.

minnesotafreeze
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
The wife and I had high hopes for POFQ but we were disappointed. The resort seemed beat up. We felt al ot of things needed a new paint job. Also the rooms could have used a freshing up, for instance the furniture was beat up. I know many people say they like the small size of the resort but that is what we did not like. Don't get me wrong the resort is not horrible. One positive is the bus waits were short and we did not have to stand often on the bus. We thought Corando Springs and POR we wonderful.:mickey:

beksy
12-02-2009, 11:24 AM
We tried POFQ in October and really enjoyed the experience. We loved the small size and spent most of our time in the parks so we didn't miss the TS at this resort. We enjoyed the food court and being able to go there so quickly to fill up our mugs. The baked goods, beignets, and taco salad were great! We're not big swimmers so the pool wasn't a big deal for us either. We will probably be back. Next trip is the POR so we will be able to do some comparisons. I agree with pp that the great thing about Disney is that there is a resort for every one! :mickey:

#1donaldfan
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the review.

I've stayed a few time at POR, but never had the desire to stay at FQ. Although I will walk over there for the Beignets, I was never overly impressed by the food court or pool area. I thought I was missing something.

...HUH ??? I thought the FQ was for the beignets only ??? Seriously, the FQ is missing "something", however I truly do agree with you about the beignets and one thing you forgot....the meatball subs....!! those babies are GREAT !! :cool:

Granny Jill A
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Interesting review... We enjoy POFQ because of the size and transportation (boat to DTD, centrally located to the parks and generally picks up & drops off first when joint buses with POR). That said we generally spend most of our time in the parks and DTD so our "resort time" is some what limited. I guess if we were to plan "off days" from the parks, we may look to stay at another resort.

POFQ is my favorite moderate for all the above-mentioned reasons. The huge masks are a little overwhelming for the food court (ha ha), but after awhile you don't even notice them.

Didn't they have a TS restaurant when they first opened? Or was it just a bar?

Melanie
12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I totally forgot something I meant to mention in my initial review and just remembered this past week while having a great stay at Coronado Springs.

After the first night's sleep at FQ, I realized my elbows were all torn up, enough to eventually cause a little scabbing. It took me awhile to realize it was caused by the cheap sheets on the beds. Not good. :(

POOH_BEAR
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the review. I have been looking for reviews of POFQ as DH and DGS will be visiting in May 2010. It will be the first Disney trip for DGS and I can't wait to share the magic with him. I've never stayed at POFQ but visited a couple of years ago when my sister showed it to me on our trip. I really wasn't keen on the Mardi Gras "theme" but I really liked the courtyards, walk by the river and the look of the serpent pool. Your assessment will give me something to consider. Thanks!