PDA

View Full Version : Could I have an ear infection?

Jeri Lynn
11-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I am due to leave for Disney in 8 days!

Last Saturday my left ear started echoing, on Monday morning I went to the doctors and saw the PA. She said my ears looked clear, no fluid or redness but perhaps I had some sinus congestion. I've been taking sudafed all week long. The echo is still there. I don't feel like I have a cold but I do feel a little stuffy.

Last night I woke up with very mild ear pain, but I was able to go back to sleep without a problem.

Is it possible I have an ear infection behind my ear drum?

I am planning on calling the doctor first thing Monday morning, but I am wondering if I should perhaps go to Urgent Care on Sunday...

I've been trying so hard to stay healthy!!

faline
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
If you have an ear infection, they'll put you on an antibiotic. The ear should be ready for flying by time you leave.

Jeri Lynn
11-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I hope so Linda!! I just called Urgent Care, I figured I might as well talk to them. Perhaps since I have already been to the doctors they will just prescribe me an antibiotic. Otherwise I will go in, although the last place I really want to go is a place where so many flu patients are going!!

Strmchsr
11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
That sound similar to what I had in June after my scuba diving certification. It was a middle ear infection, so farther down than your "normal" ear infection. If so you'll definitely need an antibiotic to clear it up. Hope it clears soon!

RenDuran
11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
My daughter gets something similar once or twice a year. The doctor never sees anything, so he thinks the pain is coming from her eustachian tubes. After taking sudafed...not the stuff on the shelf, but the stuff behind the pharmacy counter...for a few days, she feels fine. Are you taking the "good" sudafed?

Have you tried taking an antihistimine? Allergies make my ears feel clogged sometimes.

I hope you get things cleared up before you head to Disney!

Jeri Lynn
11-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Sonja,
Yes, I got the good sudafed behind the counter, I take that during the day, then I have been taking benadryl at night.

Ringing is still there. I'm feeling pretty stuffy in the morning and I know I can feel post nasal drip...I will be calling Doctor first thing tomorrow morning. I was going to go to Urgent care today but I figured anyone going there on a Sunday is probably really sick, so I am trying to stay away from germs before my trip!!! I feel perfectly fine other than a little stuffiness and my echo...which is a pain...I'm listening to Elvis Hour this morning and hearing his songs twice!

marylynne95
11-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I have been having very similiar symptoms and I leave in 10 days. My doctor says mine is my sinuses. Tylenol sinus has been helping me. Plus she gave me nasacort spray to help everything drain properly.

Jeri Lynn
11-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I ended up going to Urgent care today. The doctor said my ears look good, she said there is a little fluid in my left ear but does not feel there is an infection.

She told me to keep taking the Nasonex Spray and that it could take a while for it to start to work. She told me to discontinue the sudafed since it has not really done anything and I should not be taking it with high blood pressure.

She called it Estachian Tube Dysfunction. She said it could be painful to fly.

Unfortunately, I dont' have a choice, I will be flying. I do have some earplugs that I use for flying that help equalize the pressure, hopefully things will be better in the next seven days.

Ugh.

faline
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I might still suggest talking with your regular physician.

Jeri Lynn
11-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Linda,
I am going to call an ENT today and hope that I can be seen, if not I will be calling my regular doctor. He knows I am going away on vacation, and he is a Disney fan like me....hopefully someone can help!!

Jeri Lynn
11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Thankfully saw my doctor today. He put me on an antibiotic and prednisone. My ear is definately blocked, he tested my hearing with some little metal thing.

I am upset though because the PA I saw last week told me to take sudafed, which I took for a whole week and now my blood pressure is up. It was fine last week, doctor feels after the sudafed is out of my system it will go down.

Trying not to stress over anything.

faline
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Sudafed always pushes your blood pressure up. I'm sure it will go down again as it leaves your system. Glad to hear you saw your Primary and are on some antibiotics! I'll bet that by time you get on that plane you'll be feeling very well! Have a great trip!

Jeri Lynn
11-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Thanks Linda,
I was pretty stressed out yesterday worrying about my blood pressure. The medicines make me nauseaus but if it helps my ear unblock I will deal with it.

I'm taking it easy all week.