PDA

View Full Version : What Holiday Movies/Programs Do You Wait for Each Year?

DVC2004
11-20-2009, 01:37 PM
What are your holiday faves? Mine have to be A Christmas Story, most versions of A Christmas Carol (love the Muppets one!), and more recently [I]Elf[I] has really grown on me. What do you like?

laprana
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I love Christmas movies and TV shows! My favorites are the old claymation specials, like "Rudolph," "A Year Without A Santa Claus," and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I also love just about every version of A Christmas Carol (I really love the Muppets version, too!), "Elf," and "A Christmas Story." Oh! And "Muppets Family Christmas" and "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." I'm a total Christmas program junkie! :blush:

beksy
11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I love the old musical White Christmas and watch it several times each year. I also like Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. We always try to watch the special made-for-tv movies that are on the Family Channel, Hallmark, etc. and of course Christmas parades! It's also a tradition to watch the Simpson's Christmas movie and the Berenstein Bears Christmas movie. I've never been a big fan of a Christmas Story.

DizNee143
11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I also like Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas.

love emmett otter..havent watched it in a couple of years though..:thumbsup:

jnfr2424
11-20-2009, 02:58 PM
White Christmas
Its a Wondeful Life
Muppets Christmas Carol
Rudolph and Santa and Frosty
Rudolph Shiny New Year

Evil Genius
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I'll always make time for the Rankin/Bass Christmas specials!

Other than those I love:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Chistmas Story

Some odd CHristmas movies I love:

Gremlins
Die Hard
The Ref

ali'sdad2003
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
On Thanksgiving night, we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.:D I love that movie. So many classic quotes. I like most others and love watching them with the kids.:D

Evil Genius
11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that I do enjoy watching the train wreck that was...

The Star Wars Holiday Special! I have it on DVD and while it's painful...it's so bad it cracks me up!

elmjimmlm
11-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Home Alone 1 and 2 is the top of the list...We also watch anything during the 25 days of Christmas on ABC Family...I also like watching the White House Christmas on HGTV where they show the decorations for the year...HGTV also has a special that shows the window displays for stores in NY and other cities...One more favorite is the lighting of the Christmas tree on NBC...I wait to watch Christmas Vacation when I am ready to wrap all of the presents...

Joyce & Jim
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Does anyone like Charlie Brown's Christmas?

DVC2004
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Oh definitely! I forgot to list that one. I love the music to it, too.

disneyboundagain
11-20-2009, 11:20 PM
It doesn't need to be Christmas time. We'll watch Christmas Vacation anytime during the year. We must watch it at least 6 times a year. I'd quote a few of my favorite parts, but the last time I did that the moderator deleted my post:(.

And I even omitted the bad words:blush:

elmjimmlm
11-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I love Snoopy...He has been my favorite since I was a little girl...I forgot about it and the Little House on the Prarie where they get snowed in...I also love watching Oprahs Favorite Things...

d_m_n_n
11-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Elf, Charlie Brown and the 24 hours of A Christmas Story! :D Fra-geel-eee...must be Italian!

Joannelet
11-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman for sure!!!!! :)

Goofy4TheWorld
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
On Thanksgiving night, we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.:D I love that movie. So many classic quotes. I like most others and love watching them with the kids.:D

As far back as I can remember, Thanksgiving meant only one thing for me: it was time to bring the Christmas Vacation tape out of the vault! I could do without the turkey, but not Christmas Vacation. I started watching it with my family at my neighbor's house, and now continue the tradition at my house. My neighbors were the Griswolds to the tee. Even today, we can't get together without quoting this movie.

It doesn't need to be Christmas time. We'll watch Christmas Vacation anytime during the year. We must watch it at least 6 times a year.
In my house, this would be heresy! Christmas Vacation may only be watched from Thanksgiving night through New Year's eve. Soak it in, because it (and the Christmas tree) goes back in the vault after that!

Only 4 more days until Christmas Vacation! and for the first time, in Blu-ray HD!

IamBelle
11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I always love Rudolph, Frosty, Olive the other Reindeer, Muppets' Christmas Carol, and Ebbie.

alphamommy
11-22-2009, 12:10 PM
This is my favorite TV time of the year! I'm pretty much a traditionalist:

A Charlie Brown Christmas (absolute favorite!)
Rudolph (the original, not Shiny New Year)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original, no Jim Carrey for me! We have to watch this on DVD, since they tend to show it too early for me)
The Year Without a Santa Claus (love Snow Miser and Heat Miser!)
White Christmas
A Christmas Story (we usually watch it once or twice through the 24 hours on TBS)

I also love "It's a Wonderful Life", but I don't manage to catch it every year. DD9 hasn't seen it yet; maybe we'll watch it this year!

beksy
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't believe I forgot Christmas Vacation! It is an absolute must for us too. For years whenever we were on vacation (always drove) and passed an RV we had to say (in unison of course) "and that...is an RV!" ;)

Altair
11-22-2009, 07:14 PM
One of the few Thanksgiving movies: Planes :plane: Trains :train: and Automobiles:car:, one of John Candy's best performances.

"YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"
"Oh they're drunk, how do they know where we're going?"

RedSoxFan
11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Frosty The Snowman
:grinch:

Lakin
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Anything with the Miser Brothers in it!

stitchaholic
11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
definitly,definitly national lampoon , and the sad jack frost

coloradowendyl
11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
The older the better, for holiday movies:

Miracle on 34th Street
Christmas in Connecticut
White Christmas
Holiday Inn
The Bells of St. Mary
Going My Way
The Grinch that Stole Christmas
Santa Claus is Coming to Town

For new movies: Elf

Wendy

sportsguy2315
11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Oh definitely! I forgot to list that one. I love the music to it, too.

It's the only Christmas music on my iPod year round; I even got a replica of Charlie Brown's tree on Black Friday.

citizensnoopy
11-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I love:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
Elf
Home Alone
Miracle on 34th Street
Babes in Toyland (cheesy, made-for-TV 1986 version with Drew Barrymore)
Christmas movies on Lifetime/Hallmark :)

Oh, yeah, and A Charlie Brown Christmas (see avatar). ;)

IloveDisney71
12-02-2009, 09:44 PM
It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite Christmas movie.

Tinkerfreak
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
We love all of the classics and try to watch as many as we can but we really love the Home Alone movies (mostly the first two). We also love the Santa Clause movies.
Every Christmas Day DH insists that we watch the 24 hours of a Christmas Story all day long!!! We all jokingly complain but it has become a tradition and we really love it.

brad192
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
All my favorites have been mentioned already, with the exception of one. The 1984 production of A Christmas Carol starring George C. Scott as Scrooge. IMHO, this is the best version ever done. The wonderful english town it was filmed in, the costumes & casting, and George's over-the-top performance. I look forward to it every year.:santa3:

Greenlawler
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
All my favorites have been mentioned already, with the exception of one. The 1984 production of A Christmas Carol starring George C. Scott as Scrooge. IMHO, this is the best version ever done. The wonderful english town it was filmed in, the costumes & casting, and George's over-the-top performance. I look forward to it every year.:santa3:

As wonderful as this version is I prefer the Allister Simm version. He is Scrooge IMO.

Anyways.....
I love It's A Wonderful Life, but with the invention of the VCR and now DVD'S and Blue Ray these specials have lost a little luster.

When I was a kid you could only see these specials once a year. Now you can see them any time you choose if you own them.

During the 90's I began collecting all of the Rankin/Bass specials. I think I have them all....Not the animated ones, but the stop motion animation ones. Do you remember the rare ones?
Nestor The Christmas Donkey
The First Christmas
Little Drummer Boy Book Two
The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold (a favorite)
Cricket On The Hearth
Jack Frost
Pinocchio's Christmas
Rudolph's Shiney New Year
Rudoph and Frosty's Christmas In July
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

Some of these are still shown.....

Disneypixie513
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
My favorites are:
A Christmas Story
Rudolph
Santa Clause is Coming to Town
A Year without a Santa Clause
The Little Drumer Boy
Nestor the Long eared donkey (though that one makes me cry)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both versions for me)
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
A Muppets Christmas Carrol
:)

Tiggerlovr9000
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
One Magic Christmas is my favorite and I have seen it about 6 times already this season. I dvred it and have been playing it over and over again. It just makes me happy..:blush:

Dopey's Girl
12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm A Christmas Story Nut! Can't get enough of it! I have to force myself not to watch it every day. I'm obsessed! That is top of the list.

Others include:
Holiday Inn
Charlie Brown
Elf
Christmas Vacation
White Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street(But only the 1947, non crayola'd version. The rest of them make me :sick:)

Granny Jill A
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM

It's my number one favorite.
#2 - A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out, kid)
#3 - A Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sim)
#4 - Any of the Rankin/Bass Christmas stories

AdventurerKim
12-19-2009, 07:48 AM
1. Charlie Brown Christmas
2. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
3. ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas (because there are always fun movies on)
4. I always watch "Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas" on DVD; it's a childhood favorite
5. Muppets Christmas Carol (light the lamp not the rat!)