PDA

View Full Version : CBR Vs. POR Riverside

DVC2004
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Which you would you pick and why? We have never stayed at any moderate before.

CanadianWDWFan
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I have to add a note for POFQ. While we did enjoy POR we found that we preferred the feel of New Orleans to the Mansions of POR. One reason we consider POFQ our favourite is the size of the resort. You are never to far from anywhere on property.

Sorry I had to get that in there.:blush:

I do have to add that no moderate is "bad" IMHO. They are all great places to stay. As for POR vs CBR, for us POR would win out. We just found CBR to large for us. We did like the feel of the resort and the atmosphere but the size got to us. Plus POR has the water taxi that will take you to DTD. It is a nice relaxing trip on the waterways. I found POR to be a more relaxing place to be.

tesslor
11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
We just returned 11/18 from POR. While the resort is beautiful we preferred CBR.
The theming at POR, especially in the rooms, was just not to our liking as much as CBR.
We had no issues with buses, we never had to wait long, although we almost always had to stand, and the parks weren't very busy.

I think all the moderates are wonderful, it just depends what theme you prefer.

Disney Doll
11-20-2009, 02:09 PM
My favorite moderate is CSR, but between the two you asked about I would go with CBR. We just prefer the theming there plus the marina with the bike rentals is fun.

Seasonscraps
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
POR (or FQ) would get my vote. They are both pretty and peaceful, they have nice ammenities which are shared, they have evening entermaint several times a week, the boat to DTD is really nice, carraige rides. Between the FQ, Alligator Bayou & the Mansions - you have three completely different themes.

I found CBR insanely huge, nothing special in terms of decor, the food court had a nice variety but IIRC each station had its own cashier so I waited & paid a couple of times to get our full order. I haven't seen the new pool since it opened - it looks cool.

Gator
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
POR is just as big and takes as long to walk as all the Mods. I prefer the CBR. There isn't a bad room there, and the architecture of each building is pretty cool. That can't be said at POR. The Alligator Bayou section truly is lousy.

CanadianWDWFan
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
The Alligator Bayou section truly is lousy.
Which is why I only talked about the Mansions!:D

Queen Stephanie
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Aww, POR vs. CBR, this is what I have to say about that!!! If you enjoy a Southern Plantation decor or French Quarter, along with it's laid back bayou atmosphere, then you should select POR. Personally, I would suggest in that case to ask for Magnolia Hall area, which is where the Mansions are located. At POR there is one perk to think about...you can ride boats from POR to DTD:thumbsup: However, if you like the tropical, colorful island atmosphere, along with pirates, as well as boat and bike rentals...then you must select CBR. For the moderate stay, CBR is an absolute great deal.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I VOTE CBR

Mrs Bus Driver
11-21-2009, 09:11 AM
First I must say that I have only stayed in CBR, I thought is was beautiful and lovely. However when planning our upcoming trip I was willing to try somewhere else. I decided since it was his first trip to let DH make the choice. Using photos of the mods it came down to POR or CBR. From the pictures he chose CBR. He liked the landscaping. I Know he made a good choice. As for the long walk around the resort, this is one of the reasons I love this resort. When I was there I would get up early and go for a walk, beautiful, quite, peaceful. If you are not up to the walk catch a resort bus. There are plenty of bus stops, there is always one nearby. But I recommend an early morning stroll. :mickey::mickey:

kathiep
11-21-2009, 09:27 AM
We've stayed at both and enjoyed both. I think you can not go wrong with either one. It's simply a matter of your own personal taste.

We loved the landscaping and tropical feel to CBR. It was very relaxing. The rooms had a nice bright feeling and we loved the look of Old Port Royale.

The room decor at POR really didn't do anything for me, but I loved walking around outside and the look of the mansion buildings. My DH loves the make your own pasta station at the food court. The boat ride to DD was a nice plus. I have to say that our family really loved the main pool at POR. It had a great feel to it.

#1donaldfan
11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
...lousy is not exactly a word I think of with anything Disney.....

...POR, any part, FQ, AB, or the Mansions have wonderful things to offer all of us. Personally, we like the AB section...we like the overgrown, shaded walkways. They seem to offer a cool reprive from the parks. It's very laid back and while a huge resort, there are 4 bus depots at the Riverside and one at the FQ, so it's not a long walk in respect to busses. I'm sure some of the buildings are further away from the food court n such, as others, obviously, but hey, your at Disney, enjoy !!! :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
11-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I would go with POFQ if you want to stay at a moderate.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Have stayed in both.
CBR
Love the tropical atmosphere. I could really stay there every time!

Mitzie
11-24-2009, 11:18 AM
We have stayed at CRS and POR, and personally liked POR better. We were in the Bayou section and felt it was very pretty and loved the peacefulness which we found to be a nice break from the activity of the parks. We will be at CRB in 14days:yay: I can better respond then. So far...as mods go...POR gets my vote.

disney1026
11-25-2009, 12:11 PM
POR would be my vote. We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it both times. I really enjoy the theming. We request to stay in the Magnolia Bend sections, as opposed to Alligator Bayou. However, we have been in both and enjoyed both. The food court is good and we often request a room near it so we can fill up our mugs often!

DisneyDudet
11-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I have stayed at all the mods except CSR.

Depending on what you're looking for will decide which resort.

At CBR (which I LOVED), the rooms are much bigger, and most have been recently remodeled. We found them to be MUCH quieter than any of the other resorts, which we hacked it up to it being one of the oldest, and built differently. The only problem I see with it, is some of the locations are quite a distance from the eateries. There are bus stops at each "village" so that you are not far from a bus stop. The food court has stations to get your food, and you pay before the seating area. There is also a quick grab-and-go area. There is a seating area outside, overlooking the "beach". It is a very spread out resort, but if you are looking for something quiet, this is for you. There are also little patio/seating areas in the courtyards of the buildings. If being by the food court, drink stations, and gift shop are important to you, then Trinidad North and Martinique are the 'villages' for you. It has become my favorite mod!

POR is a nice, large resort, that has 2 different areas, Alligator Bayou (rustic south) and Magnolia Bend (plantation south). AB as the ability to house 5 in a room, which makes the only mod that offers larger families the ability to stay in one room, instead of booking 2 rooms. Rooms in both areas are smaller than CBR, but larger than value rooms. The buildings are spread out, but not as much as CBR. There are a few bus stops throughout the resort, but I have not heard of them offering an internal bus to get to the main building where the food court and gift shop is. That being said, it can be a long walk from your room to the food court. Magnolia Bend is our favorite, because of the lush landscaping and it just seems prettier and more up-scale.

POFQ is much smaller than the other two. I know you didn't really make this an option in your choice, but I wanted to mention it, since it is my second favorite mod. I like that it is quite a bit smaller, it seems. During peak times, it has a separate bus (tends to run with POR, making buses VERY crowded) to the parks. There is only one bus stop (no need for more than one). If it is joined with POR, it is usually the first stop. If you have a room that is to the left of the main building (North Quarter- Buildings 4-7), you can take the back walkways to the bus stop, avoiding the walk through the main building. As far as actual theme, POFQ has it more than the others. The others are pretty and themed for the idea, but POFQ has street names from New Orleans with pretty light posts lighting your way. There are nice grassy areas where you can play football or run around, or merely have a little picnic!

Altogether, what you're looking for is your choice. I think, now, I would stay at CBR. If you asked me before this past March, I would say POFQ.

SillySymphony
11-27-2009, 09:22 PM
We've only stayed at CBR, but have toured rooms and spent time at all the others. Both sides of PO are nicely themed, drawing upon that Southern Plantation antebellum period. CS is a very Tucson-inspired type of Southwestern architecture. It paints three different vistas with the same brush. For me, its real drawback is the great number of convention travelers whose behavior sometimes does not coincide with your family vacation... Sometimes... CBR is the original Moderate and its rooms are just a scance bigger than the others. You would be hard pressed to note the difference, but it's there. CBR's Food Court is not on the same par as CS, however her prices are not the same either. CBR's real "draw" is how it greets the day and says goodnight. The colors of the individual islands (various sherbets !) really glow in the rising and setting sun. Just beautiful ! The size and scope of the CBR alows you to be "rooming" with folks in 2111 other rooms without feeling like you're "stacked" atop one another. On the whole, for us anyway, the CBR is our "only" vacation resort.