PDA

View Full Version : A Disney Engagement

AmBo
11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey guys! Sorry if this is long, but I just HAD to share this story with you guys (my fellow Disney lovers). If you don't want to read the whole story, skip to Step 5. :)

Here we go. I know she's the one and I know it's time to propose and make the eternal commitment. Best part? She has no idea it's coming! So now, how to go about it? My first plans was I bought tickets to Radio City Spectacular and was going to do it in NYC in front of the Rockefeller tree. I got the tickets and the more I thought about it, the less I was excited for it. Why am I not excited? What do I need to do? If you're a Disney romantic, proceed to read. :blush:

So I regroup my thoughts and of course what's better than a Disney proposal? But, all the legwork that needs to be done can be daunting being that I need to plan this trip for Dec 17th weekend...that's so close (I normally plan my Disney trips at LEAST 6 months in advance)...but so what!? she's worth it! So let's make this happen!

Step 1: She is a dental hygienist so I have to pick a weekend that she's not working a Saturday. Okay, got it. Now I have to call her boss (who I've never met) and ask them kindly if they can 1. let her out of work early on Thursday and 2. hire a temp to fill her appointments for Friday. I call and the Dr. is SO nice and is all for it! Step 1? Check!

Step 2: I have to call my parents and ask if we can use their DVC points that weekend to book a room. Turns out my parents are all for it and also want to go down with us to celebrate (they are very close to my DGF)! This is going to be a surprise and I'm going to have them meet us at the airport. So they book us a 2 bedroom for the weekend. Step 2? Check!

Step 3: Book a flight. This part scares me as I know flights can be dauntingly expensive. I hope online and what's this? Round trip the exact times I wanted for $200 a piece?! SOLD! Step 3? Check!

Step 4: Tell her parents. I call her parents and I could hear the smile on her mom's face when I told her that "I'd like to take you and Mr. L out to dinner to talk about me and your daughters 'future engagements'." I could feel the smile through the phone. Step 4? Check!

Step 5: This is where I need all your help! How do I do it?! I bought us tickets to go see Mickey's Very Merry Xmas Party and I was thinking of doing it right before Holiday Wishes or just as we get to mainstreet with the snow falling. Or I could do it first thing in the morning at Cinderella's Wishing Well. We always take a picture at that fountain and I was thinking of giving her a penny and saying "close you eyes and make a wish." and when she closes her eyes for that second, I'll be on one knee when she opens them. :blush:

Does anyone have any proposal ideas?

Also, what's the best way to travel with the ring through airport security? I really don't want to risk her seeing it...

Disney4us2
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I love your wishing well idea... that sounds very romantic. For the ring, maybe your parents can take it through airport security and then hand it back to you.

Congratulations:mickey:

SallyMcQueen
11-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I like the wishing well idea, you could even have a photopass photog capture the moment. As far as the ring, what about bringing a carryon, like a backpack, and putting the ring in there. That way it goes through the xray and she doesn't have to see it.

RedSoxFan
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
I like the wishing well idea too. I wish you all the best. I think the ring in your carry on would be the best.

Zippy 1
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I too like the wishing well idea. I think that would be so romantic. Also having a photopass photographer take pictures. I know that has been done before in the same area you are talking about. Best Wishes!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

DZNYGUY
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Boy am I glad I clicked on this thread! I went through this same thought process at christmas two years ago! My wife and I got engaged in front of the castle right before holiday wishes and let me tell you, it was fantastic!

The thing you have to remember when making this plan is that the fountain in front of the castle (and around the Walt/Mickey statue) is EXTREMELY crowded right before the fireworks. Analyze whether or not your girl would like being "on display" for the engagement.

For the past couple of years, there has been a "castle lighting" ceremony right before the fireworks. I don't know if they are doing it again this year, but if they are there is about a 5-minute gap between the end of the ceremony and the start of the fireworks.

Considering this, I was able to get a cast member to meet me at customer relations at the entry to MK the day of the engagement. I pre-arranged with her family to have them wait at the mickey/walt statue before the ceremony so she could be ready for the surprise. Right before the ceremony we walked nearby and I pointed her out to him (I was literally wearing a top hat, sunglasses, and a trechcoat! Ha!). I proceeded down a side path in front of the castle (near the rose garden) to what can only be described as a gazeebo right between the castle and tomorrowland. (look for it, you can't miss it)

After the castle was lit the cast member grabbed her and told her she won a special prize! she followed him to the gazeebo where I was waiting. I positioned myself so right over my shoulder was the shimmering castle and we got engaged! It was great because nobody really saw it happen so it was very private and romantic.

After the proposal, he told us to hop the fence on to the lawn where we watched the show (semi-privately!) and then hung around for MVMCP. It was truly the most magical night of my life.

Now, this may not work for you since I don't think your girl's family will be there, etc. but hopefully it gave you some ideas.

Let me know if you need some other ideas, I think I can help! Good Luck!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats - this all sounds just wonderful.

My DH proposed to me in front of the castle, just after "Wishes". Basically told me that his wish was to spend his life with me. Well, I cried and blubbered, but finally said yes!

So, all of this is really to say, no matter what you do it will be just wonderful, don't forget to stop worrying and just enjoy the moment yourself :thumbsup:

PirateLover
11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
We got engaged in December at the MK in 2007... we watched Wishes and then he walked me down to the Rose Garden to give me my birthday present (It was also my 22nd Birthday) which turned out to be the engagement ring. It was fantastic because at that point, the Castle was lit up with the lights and the Christmas Tree was also stationed at the rose garden so it was just beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong, though. Best of luck and please report back!

DAKustodial
11-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I went through this same exact thing two and a half years ago when I was proposing to my wife. We met while on the College Program so I thought where better to get engaged than right where we first met.

All of your ideas sound great and I'm sure she will be thrilled and blown away by whatever you do, but my advice would be to not count on everything working out exactly the way you want it to unless you pay a pretty good chunk of change and allow Disney to help in the planning.

I had planned to propose to my wife and had to change the plan twice since the situation wasn't really right. I ended up proposing in front of Cinderella Castle between SpectroMagic and Wishes, and I was able to find a quiet little spot for about a minute. It worked out beautifully and I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be fantastic as well.

As far as getting the ring through security at the airport, they aren't a whole lot of help. I called ahead of time to see what I should do and they told me to put the box in a spot in my bag so that the ring would be easy to pick up during the X Ray...that was about it. I was having a heart attack while it went through, thinking I'd have to propose at a crowded airport, but they let my bag pass right through.

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure everything will be incredible and she will be really surprised and thrilled! Congratulations!

Dulcee
11-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Awwww, points to you for putting so much thought and effort into this.

Where ever you do it (as mentioned by an earlier poster) consider if your girlfriend, or you, want to be "on display" or more private. That would probably be the biggest deciding factor on where/when.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll be thrilled.