PDA

View Full Version : IPod/IPhone Sound Dock

thrillme
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been thinking about getting my husband a sound dock. The one I like "Bose" is sounds great but...it's a little pricey ($269-299) for Christmas (I have soooo many people to buy for).

I'd like to budget perhaps about $150 but I don't want one that sounds like a "clock radio". It seems impossible to tell in stores because it seems like they have the "Bose" set up under "premium" conditions and the rest...well they're just "the rest"

Any suggestions?

RedSoxFan
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
DH just bought me the new Bose Sounddock 10 that sells for $600 yesterday. It has an awesome sound. I love it and it's playing now. My kids have the IHOME that retails for $100 (has a clock too); but the sound is not nearly as great.

big blue and hairy
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
No the i-home doesn't sound as good as the Bose, but it does sound good for the price. If you get in at Bed Bath and Beyond, you can use a $20 coupon. The iH9 from ihome is a clock radio, but a very good sounding one. It has a radio, and a three way alarm.

Also, if you have an existing stereo system, consider either getting a dock to attach to your stereo, or just a wire to hook to one of the inputs.

:sulley:

ElenitaB
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
We've had iHome units but they don't work with our iPhones. I got a JVC radio that charges two iPods or iPhones at once, and it really does sound pretty good (as much as I'd love a Bose, my purse strings don't stretch quite that far). There are some Bose-wannabes at the Apple Store that you might want to check out as well. Good luck!

thrillme
11-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh my...it's beginning I'm going to have to exercise that credit card a bit.

Nope we don't have a home stereo system. My thought was to get this for our office at home. He loves listening to music while playing on the computer...we just bought my DS an IPOD touch for his birthday (just the 8 Gig one). He's now taking to "music" too. So I figure both of them could use it.

SIGH...I can't believe they Sony, Panasonic etc...hasn't come up with something comparable. I know both JVC and Panasonic have a docking station for the IPod on their TV's I guess this could be really cool if you have a full home theater sound system.

Keep the ideas flowing. I'm listening

big blue and hairy
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Actually, they do work with an iphone. The are models specifically for iphones with sheilding. The model number starts with iP instead of IH. Also, if you have a iH model, you can put the iPhone in airplane mode and it will work. You won't get any calls, but you can use it with the iHome.

My iHome works great with the touch.

big blue and hairy
11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
If you are going to spend $600, you could probably start a decent home stereo for that, with a receiver, ipod dock, and speakers. Check out Sony's website.

SurferStitch
11-20-2009, 10:24 PM
We got a Logitech system for a friend of ours for Christmas last year for his iPod Touch. I remember it cost around $130 or $140, and the sound is excellent.

DH and I are very picky about electronics, and we were blown away by how deep the sound was with this unit, especially at such a small price tag.

I can't remember the model number, but we bought it at the Apple store. The S315i is probably the new model replacement for the one we got him. Like the one we got him, it can be plugged in or used as a rechargeable cordless unit with about 20 hours of play time.

Jeff
11-21-2009, 07:00 AM
SIGH...I can't believe they Sony, Panasonic etc...hasn't come up with something comparable. I know both JVC and Panasonic have a docking station for the IPod on their TV's I guess this could be really cool if you have a full home theater sound system.

Keep the ideas flowing. I'm listening

I know that Sony makes several different ipod docks. They just came out with a new one that has 2 wireless speakers and the dock for about $170 that looks pretty cool. Check them out on Amazon. Be sure to use the Amozon link to your left and go there from Intercot!:thumbsup: