PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT Needs More Benches

Granny Jill A
11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I LOVE EPCOT, especially the World Showcase area. Some spots make me feel like I'm in another country.

There are times when I just want to sit down and enjoy the ambience, but I don't want to order food and drink so I can find a good place to sit.

There are many areas along the grand promenade where they could stick a few more benches. I know they don't want to cut down on the standing-room spaces for Illuminations, but they could at least put a bench or two out of the way, and not near the smoking areas.

Scar
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I think they especially need more of them at the entertainment areas, like Off Kilter, The Fake Beatles, Chinese Acrobats, Etc. Disney must have done some study and concluded people won't spend as much money if they are given a chance to sit down.

DizneyRox
11-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Disney must have done some study and concluded people won't spend as much money if they are given a chance to sit down.
I think you're onto something here. If your sitting down, chances are you aren't in a gift shop, and that means your not spending money!

Joannelet
11-19-2009, 08:10 AM
because of the lack of benches I always have the feeling that I didn't spend a lot of time in WS and I love WS. I wish you could take your time and go a little slower, take a seat and enjoy the details of each country a little more.

DisneyorBust
11-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I have to agree, it would be great to have more opportunities to sit, relax and enjoy the World Showcase.

Goes4FastPass
11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Boy, do I agree!

My only get around it suggestion is stopping for counter service in Mexico, then Norway, then China, then Germany, then italy...

WVParkfan
11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I know it would be impossible, but I would love to have some kind of seating for Illuminations. I think it is the most-difficult show to see of all the night time shows. I guess that is because it is so low (on the lake). Unless you stake-out a clear area, or are tall enough to see over the hedges and/or the people in front of you, you miss much of this show.

I'd love to see some type of bleachers, but I know that if they were put up, it would totally ruin one of the countries in World Showcase. And, there is no way to put up seating for Illuminations and take it down for the rest of the day.

Disney Doll
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM
More benches for sure! We went during FWF this year and it seemed like there were never enough places to sit and enjoy your snack.

Granny Jill A
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I think you're onto something here. If your sitting down, chances are you aren't in a gift shop, and that means your not spending money!

I'm sure that's right. Trouble is old folks like myself don't stay as long if we can't sit for a few minutes. I have money to spend, but I'm bone tired after trotting around the world showcase, so I don't go into as many shops.

Disney should re-think their strategy.

GrumpyFan
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I agree with this as well. Often times when I go thru World Showcase, I feel like I'm in a hurry to get thru it, but I'm not sure why exactly. There's a lot to see and experience, but we don't usually slow down enough for it.

MaxPower
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Under the current Disney philosophy, maybe they will bring in numerous comfortable, padded benches.......and rent them.

Lisaj13
11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
You can never have too many benches.

The Disney Vacation DVD from 2005 or 2006 had four hosts with different specialties. One of them was Dave, and his specialty was Leisure. He even had a piece on the benches at Disney and said something like "Benches are included in the price of admission so try them out, sit down, relax."

My 2DDs and I had watched the DVD, and when we were there in 2006 and the kids were exhausted, the only way I could get them to move was to say "Hey, there's a bench, let's go try it out like Dave said." We went from bench to bench around World Showcase.

Gator
11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
The Disney Vacation DVD from 2005 or 2006 had four hosts with different specialties. One of them was Dave, and his specialty was Leisure. He even had a piece on the benches at Disney and said something like "Benches are included in the price of admission so try them out, sit down, relax."

I loved that guy! It was after I saw that segment that I began "taking it easy" or at least easier at WDW. No more running from ride to ride. I started taking in nice restaurants, finding benches, and saying "Hammock, must...find...hammock."

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Under the current Disney philosophy, maybe they will bring in numerous comfortable, padded benches.......and rent them.

Isn't that the truth...:rotfl:

Iluvpooh
11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Man, I love the Dave video. (2005) I still watch it over and over. This is my bongo dance. ;)

Back on subject... It does seem like the only benches were by a bathroom or in the smoking sections. My Mom got really tired while my brother was in Japan shopping and sat in the smoking section because she couldn't find anywhere else to sit.

brownie
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM

My 2DDs and I had watched the DVD, and when we were there in 2006 and the kids were exhausted, the only way I could get them to move was to say "Hey, there's a bench, let's go try it out like Dave said." We went from bench to bench around World Showcase.

We love that video! I liked the floating bench (Jungle Cruise boat.)

jonahbear2006
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I think they need a monorail that transports you to the world showcase from the front gate, but i agree there isnt enough places to sit down.

lighteningqueen
11-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Did Disney ever think that they just MIGHT make more money in their shops if there were more benches. I know men tend to not want to shop and just say honey you go right ahead and shop I will sit here and people watch. If the woman knows the man is comfortable and happy she can shop longer. So if Disney thinks that if you sit, they don't get, well they are wrong. Sometimes you are so tired to walk to the shops and that is because you had not the chance to take a sit down for bit so they can stay longer. We have yet to go into or experience the shops in 2 visits so this time I would like to explore more and learn about Epcot or WS. but not so sure I can spend money this year.

epceddie
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I totally agree about the need for more benches in all four of the parks. My wife and I like to sit down and people watch. It's one of our favorite things to do at Disney.
As far as the sitting down/less shopping theory goes, we've found that we're more than willing to take it easy, relax AND shop. We're just appalled sometimes at the cheap merchandise and the outrageous prices! I wince every time I go through the gift shop after POC.

lighteningqueen
11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
You just cannot buy everything. Besides when you get home and you have purchased something from there you think.... why did I buy that and why did I pay that much when I don't display things like that. I just don't need anything for myself. Occasionally for the grandkids but their rooms are not decorated in Disney items ...But I do love to look and ooh and awhhhh but would like a bench to rest up for the next leg every now and then.

EPCOT84
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Totally agree WS could use more benches. (I remember the Dave video too !) By the time you get to WS, you need to rest your weary tootsies.

My favorite place to 'park' and rest is during whatever show is at the outdoor stage in front of the American Experience.

LVT
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
YES, wonderful idea. More benches. I like things like off-kilter but I need to sit. I also would like benches a little further from the louder venues. There are so many benches dedicated to smoking that I was jealous.

SandmanGStefani24
11-26-2009, 12:22 AM
agreed, especially by the Fish and Chips shop. Eating while staring out at the lake is a great place to rest for a bit.

bruin1344
11-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Hahaha that video is funny and corny. Dave then gets all these people into random photo. Luke caused me to joke around about the hurl factor on rides. I like Erin better than Stacy on those hotel videos.

Sorry to go off topic.

Lisaj13
11-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Disney should add benches to World Showcase

and . . .

Bring back Dave!!

Gator
11-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Bring back Dave!!

YESSSSSS!!!!