PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service Question

alphamommy
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
We moved to our current home over 3 years ago. Periodically, we receive mail addressed to the former homeowners. The did not leave us a forwarding address. Most of the time it's "junk mail".

Today, however, we received something that appears to be personal mail (maybe an invitation or Christmas card?) addressed to the former occupants. There is a return address on the back of the envelope.

I am wondering if there's some way that the post office would be able to forward this so long after the people moved. Should I just return it to the sender? Can I do that without remailing it?

Thanks!

SBETigg
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Give it to your mail carrier or bring it to the P.O. and they will tell you what to do. Usually, the mail carrier has told us to circle the name and write "Wrong Address" and re-mail it. It goes back through the system and they have to track down the correct address. But I'm always worried that it won't make it somehow so I always ask the mail carrier or actually bring it to the P.O. and give it back there. Return to sender wouldn't really get it to the right place and the sender might think the mail was refused.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
We have that problem too!

In our case, we cross off the address and write "moved" on the letter and drop it back into a mailbox.

Georgesgirl1
11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
We have the same problem, but in our case we get important mail (tax documents, retirement fund statements, etc)! With no forwarding address, I just write MOVED OVER 4 YEARS AGO STOP SENDING HERE!!! (I have gotten less friendly as the years have gone on) and put it back in the mail box. I would think these people would realize they hadn't gotten a statement from their Merril Lynch Fund in four years and make a phone call to change the address, but they haven't!?!?!

Ed
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
:ditto:

We still get mail for the former owner of our home, even though we've been here for over 6 years.

I got one last week from an insurance company trying to sell him life insurance.

I returned the application to the company with a little note saying "I'd LOVE to have your life insurance, especially since I DIED 7 years ago", which is the absolute truth.

:shake:

DizneyRox
11-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Wow, you guys are nice... I just chuck it... It's not my problem they didn't update their addresses.

mrsgaribaldi
11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
:ditto:

We still get mail for the former owner of our home, even though we've been here for over 6 years.

I got one last week from an insurance company trying to sell him life insurance.

I returned the application to the company with a little note saying "I'd LOVE to have your life insurance, especially since I DIED 7 years ago", which is the absolute truth.

:shake:

:funny::rotfl:
If I get something to an old tenant I just throw it away. :secret:

SBETigg
11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
People assume that once they move and put in the address change, their mail will all be forwarded and it works out. But the fact is that the Post Office address change/forward only stays in effect for two years. So, remember if you move, change your address with everyone who mails you as well as at the PO. And after two years, go in and fill out the address forward/change card again just in case.

We lived with my MIL briefly while our house was being prepared for us, over five years ago, and she still gets some mail for us that slipped through the cracks. I don't worry, because it's only my MIL and she just gives it to us, but even though we thought we had all our address changes covered, we would have missed some important mail.

DonLefNY
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
We get mail for all sorts of people even with different addresses. Not sure if the letter carrier even reads them. I just write wrong address and RTS with an arrow to the return address. This is why I get most bills via email as I'm not sure paper bills would make it to us.

Hull-onian
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
The mailman always leaves the summer peoples mail in their mail box. We tell him, all the time, they won't be back til June, so we just collect it and then give it back to the mailman. Most of it is junk mail anyways. However, that being said, our summer neighbors appreciate the thoughtfulness.