PDA

View Full Version : What to remove from the Parks

MaxPower
11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
So the DIsney company has shown us they are in cost-cutting mode. (Goodbye Lights of Winter, Hello Parking Fee increases.)

And the Space Mountain, *cough*, ahem, "refurb" has disappointed many - No onboard audio like in DL- why not? Too expensive of course.

So if you were a Disney Executive, what would you cut or remove from any park to save money so that it could be used to truly upgrade another attraction?

Get rid of the Magic Carpets of Alladdin? Hasta la vista El Rio del Tiempo? So long Streetmosphere?

Bass T-bone
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
If I were to choose, I would have to say Stitch's Great Escape.
This ride frightens too many children.

The Swiss Family Treehouse.
The movie this was based on is but a distant memory.

cEveArdenfan
11-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Completely shut down Sounds Dangerous! I agree with cutting Stitch's Great Escape. The American Idol Experience can go too as far as I'm concerned.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of saving money, make the cars on the Tomorrowland Speedway electric. I bet it would be cheaper than gas!

Bass T-bone
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, thanks cEveArdenfan.

(Our Miss Brooks? This used to be an old radio show too!)

I forgot about The American Idol Experience.
I second your motion.

Gator
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Ellen's Energy Ride can go - a terrible ride in need of closure or maybe a better comedian. One of the Innoventions could be closed.

Also, Conservation Station doesn't need to open. That would save money on feeding the goats and powering the train out there.

Bass T-bone
11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Ellen's Energy Ride can go - a terrible ride in need of closure or maybe a better comedian.

Actually, I'm in favor for returning it to it's original state... which would be cheeper than scraping the whole thing I might add...

Evil Genius
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Magic Kingdom:

Aladdin's Magic Carpets-Just another hub and spoke ride and really is taking up prime realestate.

Toon Town-Wait...DONE!

Tomorrowland Speedway-For an eco-friendly company like Disney...I don't know why this attraction is hanging around!

Epcot:

Mission Space-It's a cubical you sit in...watch a video and chance throwing up...yup...real fun.

Disney's Hollywood Studios:

Sounds Dangerous-This is a no brainer. It's a waste of space and resources.

The Back Lot Tour-Talk about a waste of space! I can only imagine what could be accomplished with this plot of land if they bulldozed this snooze fest!

Animal Kingdom:

Triceratop Spin-ANOTHER hub and spoke...dump it!

Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama-The whole area needs to be retooled. Other than Dinosaur the area is rough at best.

TinkRocks
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Hmmm... where to start?

MK
- Winnie the Pooh Adventure Ride
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Stitch's Great Escape
- Current audio track of TTA (I miss the inside jokes and Orac 1, the Commuter Computer).

Epcot
- Spaceship Earth - current (Dame Judi Dench) narration. BRING BACK JEREMY IRONS! Also don't appreciate how the narration talks as though I'm 3 - Jeremy's version inspired me to research a couple of the eras covered in SSE (believe it or not)...
- Honey I Shrunk the Audience
- Journey Into Your Imagination
- Mission: Space
- Test Track
* Bring back Horizons & World of Motion!!

Animal Kingdom
- Flights of Wonder (is that show still running?)
- Nemo: the Musical
- Triceratop Spin

Would love to see Disney create some new attractions that aren't motion simulator / movie screen type attractions. I'm not the most creative person around, but Disney should stick to what Disney do best - audio animatronics, etc. PotC, Haunted Mansion, American Adventure, etc., are big hits - why not create more attractions like these? Quality (of attractions) attracts quantity (of people)...

crltkcagle
11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree with pretty much all of those!

MK
Speedway gives me a headache from inhaling fumes while waiting to board.

Stitch is just terrible and alien encounter was way better!

Swiss Family tree is boring and we usually skip it.

Epcot
I love Ellen but I hate her ride!
How's about some of the restaurants there that are just awful!

HS
Definetly American Idol

AK
The arcade carnival thing in dinoland that my kids are always crying to play.

SBETigg
11-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Removing anything comes at enormous cost as well. The most likely scenario is that an attraction goes "seasonal", then simply stays closed and in some cases, becomes an eyesore. That's not a good thing for any of us.

And the more likely scenario for cost-cutting, over closing attractions, would be to cut back even further on staff, or cut back on shows, parades, or fireworks. It pains me to even speculate. One attraction I could certainly do without is Sounds Dangerous, if it came down to it.

WDWNut02
11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Sad to say but the little things that make Disney so, well, Disney are the things that will be cut. The street shows at DHS, the musicians on Main Street and so on. These will be on the chopping block, and it will make it lose the magic that Disney is so proud to create. :(

Lakin
11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Ellen's Energy Ride can go - a terrible ride in need of closure or maybe a better comedian.

No!!! I like that ride.

cEveArdenfan
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
As a Jeopardy! fan I must side with Jakin here and defend Ellen's Energy Adventure. I know it's not the original Universe of Energy, but they kept the theme of the pavillion and basic format, unlike the fate of certain other attractions. I do think Animatronic Ellen could use some help in the aesthetics department though.

Bay Lake
11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Magic Kingdom:

Aladdin's Magic Carpets-Just another hub and spoke ride and really is taking up prime realestate.

Toon Town-Wait...DONE!

Tomorrowland Speedway-For an eco-friendly company like Disney...I don't know why this attraction is hanging around!

Epcot:

Mission Space-It's a cubical you sit in...watch a video and chance throwing up...yup...real fun.

Disney's Hollywood Studios:

Sounds Dangerous-This is a no brainer. It's a waste of space and resources.

The Back Lot Tour-Talk about a waste of space! I can only imagine what could be accomplished with this plot of land if they bulldozed this snooze fest!

Animal Kingdom:

Triceratop Spin-ANOTHER hub and spoke...dump it!

Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama-The whole area needs to be retooled. Other than Dinosaur the area is rough at best.

I like all of you choices, and I would add Ellen Engery as well, but leave Mission S:turkey:pace

Evil Genius
11-18-2009, 09:30 AM
As a Jeopardy! fan I must side with Jakin here and defend Ellen's Energy Adventure. I know it's not the original Universe of Energy, but they kept the theme of the pavillion and basic format, unlike the fate of certain other attractions. I do think Animatronic Ellen could use some help in the aesthetics department though.

I'm with you too! I like Ellen's Energy Adventure. The animatronic...not so much.

Also...I don't understand the American idol hate. I think the show is a lot of fun and the production quality alone makes it a worth while addition to the park.

Ms. Mode
11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I agree with throwing out Stitch :ack: and Aladdin can go too, but I kinda like Ellen's ride:mickey:

DisneyKim22
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
So the DIsney company has shown us they are in cost-cutting mode. (Goodbye Lights of Winter, Hello Parking Fee increases.)

What was Lights of Winter? Before I freak out that they are taking away a beloved holiday feature, I guess I should know what it is. :blush:

WDWTEXAS
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Stitch should go, as well as Aladin's Carpets in Magic Kingdom. Both use prime real estate in terms of either a new attraction (Stitch) or in foot traffic (Carpets). At Epcot, the Imagination Pavillion has hardly ever had people there when I've gone, so a revamp or removal would be nice.

CiaoBella312
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned the Enchanted Tiki Room in MK. Once was more than enough. I know I will ruffle feathers saying this, but same thing for the Country Bears.

Bay Lake
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Country bears, I could live without, but there is something about the Tiki room that I would keep. The Magic Carpets can go also.
:tikki::tikki::tikki::tikki::tikki:

Daisy'sMom
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I always hate it when people want to remove certain attractions because they don't like them. For instance, I am not a lover of thrill attractions but understand the need for them and accept that some love them.
I happen to love Ellen and can't understand why some don't. Maybe they just don't get it. :secret:

Bellewannabe
11-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I would get rid of Swiss Family Robinson and the Tiki Room. I get nostalgic about the Bear Jamboree. The spinning rides ie Alladin and Dinos need to stay for those of us with younger kids and no patience for Dumbo! Electric cars for the Raceway is an awesome idea - I wonder why they haven't done that yet!

Lakin
11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned the Enchanted Tiki Room in MK. Once was more than enough. I know I will ruffle feathers saying this, but same thing for the Country Bears.

Ugh, I don't like either rides, but something about Tiki Rooms originality just needs to stay. 'Under New Management', on the other hand, has GOT to go!

peemagg
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
At HS I would get ride of Lights, Camera, Action. Just think of how much each one of those shows with all its special effects is costing.

At AK, most all of Dino land can go.

At Epcot- Mission Space, Honey I shrunk the Audience

At Mk- I like Stitch, but would not miss it if it left.
Aladdin, Swiss Family tree House, American Presidents,

Greenlawler
11-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Your right, consider these large feathers ruffled there are some things that are just Disney to the core and their are others that would go wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before either of these Walt originals.

minnesotafreeze
11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I would say remove Epcot.:mickey:

Bass T-bone
11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I would say remove Epcot.:mickey:

WOW... Not exactly cost effective to do this. Remember, the original post was a hypothetical exercise to save money.

thrillme
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Sounds Dangerous and the Narnia exhibit (is it even still running?)

I love the swiss family treehouse...I would love to live there...I don't see that exhibit costing a whole bunch.

I would LOVE to REMOVE about 100,000 people in line...when I want to get on a ride.

Instead of "getting rid" I would like to bring back the PAY for E-nights instead of offering them FREE.

Get rid of FREE dining. I think these dining plans may have populated resturants but not necessarily at a "profit". The dining plan has really screwed up people who would have "walked in" and paid full price. They can't get into these resturants anymore without those stupid ADRs (I hate having to PLAN when and where I'm going to eat 6 months ahead of time).

The "carnival" in Dinoland. I frequently saw a lot of vendors standing around not getting any money. Who really wants to win and carry around a cheezy stuffed animal when they're at Disney.

WVParkfan
11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
I'd get rid of the Jungle Cruise! What a waste of space and time (especially since you have the real thing a few miles away at the Animal Kingdom).

Imagineer1981
11-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Actually, I'm in favor for returning it to it's original state... which would be cheeper than scraping the whole thing I might add...

Ah, but lets remember Ellen actually pays for itself...SOLAR POWERED!!!!

Frog
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
narnia... wow, what a waste of time...
not taking up much space though...

paragon
11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
As someone said above, there would still be expenses to remove something, and I don't really think anything really needs to go, except maybe Pooh's Playground. It would probably be more cost effective to eliminate some higher up positions, salaries and expenses, and possibly combine jobs. Overall though, If I were the one making the decision, I probably would focus more on the US parks, rather than open a new park overseas. There are enough problems here, with people out of work, and local economies suffering, why not stay here, and put the money back into the US economy.

Joannelet
11-22-2009, 02:24 PM

I was going to say the same thing about Country Bears but like you didn't want to upset anyone. I was in Disneyland and they no longer have country bears and they are devastated by it. I remember telling them well they can take it from Florida if they want LOL I want their 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea that they still have (even though its the Nemo Ride there...but still) I can do w/o the Country Bears Jamboree. I think its run its course.

Magic Carpets is another one but I know it must not cost so much to run this simple carnival type ride. (meaning it wouldn't do much of a dent in saving money for the company). Although I can't imagine the lights in Epcot were too much to run for a month....

bruin1344
11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
MK - Stitch's Great Escape
Epcot - Universe of Energy
DHS - Sounds Dangerous
AK - Dinoland

TikiLounger
11-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I love the swiss family treehouse...I would love to live there...I don't see that exhibit costing a whole bunch.

I so agree with you! The Treehouse needs to stay! LOL, every time we visit the Magic Kingdom, I tell my family how much I would LOVE to live in the treehouse. I, too, don't see how it costs much to keep running. There aren't even cast members stationed outside.

I also agree that Dinoland should be the first thing to go. It just doesn't fit.

BigThunderFan
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I will precede my post by letting everyone on here know that I have a DS6 who has been into dinosaurs for over 4 years and wants to be a paleotologist (or however you spell it:confused:).
I loved the Universe of Energy as a child and totally loved seeing my son able to experience it for the first time, as well as Dinoland. That being said, I think Chester & Hester's needs to go, and put something in it's place that is more DISNEY. The rides and games there aren't even worth us stopping. Mostly because Primeval Whirl is not even meant for kids. I mean come on, my son can ride SM, ExE, and BTMR but not PW? Any ride that has a height restriction that is the same as an inverting coaster (R&RC) should NOT be in a part of the park themed towards children! Why not put a looping roller coaster in Fantasyland? I mean come on...

Also, I would get rid of the new Tiki Room (Under New Management) and bring back the old Tiki Room (minus Zazu and Iago) which actually sings the one song we go there to hear!:mickey:

GINNY69
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
If I had a choice.. I would get rid of the Country bear jamboree..

jclightchasr
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I would try to find other ways of cutting costs than removing attractions. As a retail manager you should not remove what is making you money only that which is costing it. However to answer the question:
MK: Switch Tiki room back to original but really upgrade the sound.
Take out the speedway and put in another attaction. Or at least go to electric cars.

Epcot:
Innoventions: Make both buildings into full scale rides.
Universe of energy is cool but it needs some definate increase in excitement. The potential for improvement here is immense.
BRING BACK HORIZONS
WS: Upgrade some of the 360 shows or shut them down.

Hollywood Studios:
Backlot tour upgrade
Sounds dangerous: put in something else

AK:
Take out triceratops spin this whole area make no sense and is out of place
Do something more with conservation station and the train-ride there.

On a side note:
Electric trams
A simple lighting change world wide. have them on 20 min later. Turn 30% off after closing hour (except at AK its too dark there anyway).

Bass T-bone
11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Ah, but lets remember Ellen actually pays for itself...SOLAR POWERED!!!!

True indeed!

I just liked the original show better. It was more educational, especially the end. It reminded me of something you might see at a Worlds Fair.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-25-2009, 11:47 AM
For those of you that say the Treehouse, am I the only one that walks by there and laughs at the wait time sign and the fact that it has a queue?

Was there actually a time when this attraction had a line or wait time? How do you even get a line for a walk-through attraction? There's no loading of vehicles, no safety checks...you just walk through it.

EPCOT84
11-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Streetmosphere?

Yes !

At Epcot, the Imagination Pavillion has hardly ever had people there when I've gone, so a revamp or removal would be nice.

I would keep the Journey ride and HISTA seems to still draw audiences, though dated but the surrounding area does need work. There are parts that seem already shut down near the bouncing water fountains. Also across the other way the old Odyssey restaurant space is near derelict. So those are already cost savers.

It would probably be more cost effective to eliminate some higher up positions, salaries and expenses, and possibly combine jobs.

Always a tricky move when you risk eliminating experience and talent but personnel costs are usually a typical target. One executive position eliminated might free up budgeting for more development project staffing.

I would try to find other ways of cutting costs than removing attractions. .... A simple lighting change world wide. have them on 20 min later. Turn 30% off after closing hour (except at AK its too dark there anyway).

Yes, more Green initiatives may help. Do with one less gas powered vehicle in each fleet of trams, boats, and buses Look at water conservation if there are large areas of landscaping that require sprinklers (probably not many with all the rain in Florida) or use plants that can be changed less frequently.

I would re-think the parking. Yes its a cost but replace the vast parking lots with multi-level parking garages (yes they can be an eyesore if not designed right but read on) instead of lots that are larger than the parks. The closer in the easier on all. Bus areas (both Disney and non-Disney) can then be built closer to the entrances, the trams would have shorter routes and people would be happier (no more scorching cars or long walks). Guests would be more inclined to return if the parking situation was improved (yes the parking price may go up but for those who opt for cars, it may pay for the convenience).

Disney-Nut
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
M.K. Stitch's Great Escape and the Speedway
A.K. Dinoland
EPCOT Test Track
Hollywood Stduios sounds dangerous

SignguyTom
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Double Wide strollers! Should be banned! :mad:

Maybe not as a cost-cutting measure, but if it were up to me....

glenpreece
11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Great Movie Ride and Hall of Presidents (although I know that will never happen lol)

Superzeus84
12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I say that Indiana Jones needs to go, as well as the backlot tour.

BigThunderFan
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I say that Indiana Jones needs to go, as well as the backlot tour.

Oh don't say that! I have a DD3 that thinks she IS Indiana Jones. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it would be closed in January, but it will just be the week before we are there.:thumbsup: