PDA

View Full Version : Jeans at Calif. Grill?

nyobabe2
11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
What is the dress code at CG? Can we wear a nice pair of jeans or no?

SBETigg
11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
As long as they're not cut-offs, ripped, or torn, yes, you can wear jeans.

California Grill is considered Business Casual. Their guidelines (Found in INTERCOT: Info Central: Dining: Dress Codes):

Attire considered appropriate by this dress code:
• Dress shorts
• Dress pants
• Jean pants
• Collared shirts
• Blouses
• Sweaters
• T-shirts

Attire not permitted by this dress code is:
• Hats
• Swimsuits
• Swimsuit cover-up's
• Tank tops
• Torn clothing
• Flip-flops

The only formal restaurant in WDW is Victoria and Albert's.

mom2morgan
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I think the jeans would be okay IF accompanied by nice shoes and a dressy top. My mom would have a heart attack to hear me say jeans are EVER okay, LOL. But I found they had guests there dressed much more casually than I would have - they probably don't refuse people admittance unless it is REALLY bad (although my hubby was told to take off his hat!) but I do find it lowers the experience a bit to see people walking around in theme park garb.

mudpuppysmom
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
They won't kick you out or ask you to change, but there will be people who are more dressed up than jeans. When we dine at signature restuarants we usually make sure we're a little "cleaned up". I've seen people at Cali Grill in beach wear and they have dined with the rest of the people there without any ruckus being caused by their attire.

I think jeans would be fine, with a nice top and shoes.

LVT
11-22-2009, 09:58 PM
You will see a wide range of clothing there. Way more people are dressed up than elsewhere on property, excepting V and A's. Keep the jeans and upscale the top or accessories. IE fewer T-shirts.

TheRustyScupper
11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
1) Signature eateries "claim" a dress code.
2) However, none is EVER enforced.
3) Wear whatever you want.

NOTE; The only eatery at WDW that enforces a dress code is Victoria & Albert's. All others have degraded to a point where even grubby/stinky park wear is accepted.

lockedoutlogic
11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I would say no....no matter what the official policy (or the mini wage hostess says)...

Just because you can do it....doesn't mean you always should

SurferStitch
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Jeans have become a very trendy and "party-ish" choice for pants at evening functions, as long as they are the type of jeans meant for such....like very dark blue or black, or embellished with lots of sparkle. Your typical "daytime" casual jeans are not appropriate. No abrasions, rips or large faded patches! Whiskering is okay.

I'm one who ALWAYS dresses up for resort dinners at WDW. I plan on wearing a strapless cocktail dress to Cali Grill next week, BUT I do plan on wearing one pair of very dark and dressy jeans with a knock-out dressy evening top and plenty of bold jewelry, plus very fancy high heels to Narcoossee's one night. In warmer weather (like October or May) I wear nothing but fancy dresses to dinner, but in the colder months (December) I like to wear pants to some dinners.

A couple years ago, I would have NEVER worn any sort of jeans to a signature restaurant, but with the way the styles have changed, now the right kind of jeans can work very well if played up significantly with the top, shoes and jewelry. Also, don't forget the "look at me" clutch! Your evening purse is jewelry, too!

It also seems that during the holiday season, dark jeans and sparkly, glitzy tops are the trend.

As long as you plan to wear very dressy jeans and a super dressy top/shoes, you should be fine.

Bluesky481
11-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, jeans are absolutely fine. My husband and I just dined at CA a few weeks ago, and I wore a nice shirt, heels, and a pair of dark, dressy jeans (in my opinion, this is key...light and/or faded jeans would not be appropriate...though as others have said, they would be allowable). Enjoy your meal--the food and atmosphere are wonderful!

SBETigg
11-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Regardless of personal opinion, the Disney dress code is pretty straightforward and allows for "jeans" with no specification toward "dress" or "dark" or "maybe if you pair them with a fancy top" or "nice shoes." You could wear jeans and sneakers and a t-shirt if you wanted to, and it would be appropriate by Disney's own dress code. Obviously, a lot of people like to dress up more at some of the signature dining venues (myself included), but let your personal style, taste, and needs dictate what you wear within the actual accepted code as I posted earlier in the thread. I've seen just as many people appropriately dressed down as dressed up. Enjoy!

mudpuppysmom
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I just read this little snip on another board and thought I'd share.....

We recently ate at California Grill. Be aware of the dress code — "Business Casual: no swim wear, cutoffs or ripped or torn clothing." This includes the very trendy, very expensive jeans the teens are wearing with tears in them. They refused to allow our daughter in — we had to go buy her a new outfit which of course cost less than the jeans she was wearing!

mom2morgan
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I just read this little snip on another board and thought I'd share.....

We recently ate at California Grill. Be aware of the dress code — "Business Casual: no swim wear, cutoffs or ripped or torn clothing." This includes the very trendy, very expensive jeans the teens are wearing with tears in them. They refused to allow our daughter in — we had to go buy her a new outfit which of course cost less than the jeans she was wearing!

I would have NEVER thought of that - thanks for the heads up. And it does show that they WILL enforce the dress code, despite rumours to the contrary.

tdk316
12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I've seen jeans there before but we've always dressed up a bit and have had servers go out of their way for us there. I think that people are often treated the way that their appearance dictates they be treated, right or wrong.

BraddyB
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Last time I checked your money spends the same if you are in jeans or a suit. I have been to many upscale places around Pittsburgh for dinner and have been seated next to someone in jeans and an Ed Hardy shirt. It doesnt matter to me what they wear, aslong as they arent loud and annoying.

If you want to wear jeans go for it just make it look stylish. I think a woman looks hotter in jeans that fit her, nice shirt, heels, and just the right amount of jewelry compared to someone who is wearing a cocktail dress that doesnt compliment her at all with tons of gaudy custome jewelry.

Maxwell
12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I am guessing that "jorts" are out of the question here?

BraddyB
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I am guessing that "jorts" are out of the question here?

You may wear "dress jorts" :D

Belle619
12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
We went to the California Grill on our last trip and my sister and I both had on jeans, fancy tops and nice shoes. I did not see anyone give us a second look when walking in, nor I did feel out of place while in there because others were dressed more casual.

But, I should mention that our jeans were clean, dark in color (not obvious that they were jeans) and did not have any rips/tears. They were also not skin-tight or super baggy.

I do think the type of jeans really does make all the difference.