PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Soft Opening Reactions

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
(To the mods: I'm sorry for the double post, but I figured this one would be easier to see than digging through a 3 page thread in News, Rumors, and Imagineering)

Ok so, I got to ride Space Mountain as part of a soft opening yesterday and here is my reaction.

Everything I figured would be the case IS the case. The queue is almost identical to the way it was before, minus the interactive section towards the very end. The loading area is the only thing that is drastically different, as you can no longer see the track above you (which is, in my mind, part of the reason that it wasn't as dark as it could have been in the initial version).

The ride itself is pretty much unchanged. There are different sound effects in the blue tunnel. The mountain itself is darker, and there seems to be more stars. The re-entry tunnel is still the same effect they've used since 1975. The exit area is identical. The escalator portion has some new scenery/touched up scenery. The green screen tunnel on the exit escalator has been painted a hideous shade of neon lime green and the former TVs have been shoddily covered up with a banner.

California is still leaps and bounds ahead of this one and TDO really dropped the ball here. I know we're in a bad economy, but this ride is the way it is now because Disney was worried about all the whiners and complainers they would have had to deal with going "Oh my vacation is totally ruined because SPACE MOUNTAIN WASN'T OPEN and I'll never ever ever have the chance to get on it again."

To which I respond with, "Big deal. California closed theirs for almost 2 years and the world didn't come to an end. Deal with it."

Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure. They need to start focusing on quality again. Giving into the complainers and rushing a refurb to have it open for Christmas, especially after seeing what the end result was (which is to say, it's pretty much the exact same ride) has proven to me that TDO has really lost its way in terms of delivering a unique and memorable experience so many years after an attraction has opened.

One last thing...before anybody responds with "it's not officially finished yet"...note that it's supposed to reopen next Saturday. There's no way you could get me to believe they're going to throw in some drastically huge upgrade in less than a week.

Edit: Forgot to note that the on-ride photo is in one of the most nonsensical places possible: at the turn in the "launch" tunnel that takes you onto the lift. In my picture I looked like a deer in headlights because it wasn't even a remotely exciting part of the ride yet.

Joannelet
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I just noticed you did 3 college programs!! I am impressed! I only did 1 and miss it greatly!!!
I can't believe that they really didn't do much with this upgrade. I was hoping they would change the cars on this ride to provide a little more comfortable seating but I guess that was way too much to hope for!!!
ugh....not looking forward to the upgrades...

TheRustyScupper
11-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The ride itself is pretty much unchanged..

Regarding the hoopla about the rehab:
1) To quote Macbeth, “It is a tale … full of sound and fury; signifying nothing.”
2) There were few real, true and substantive changes.
3) This was more of a maintenance rehab than an major change/improvement.
4) We wish it was more of a change to what DLR has.
5) Still a darn good ride, but pretty much the same way it was.

Per Disney: "We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain . . ." (And they did)

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Did they at least smooth out some of the worst rough spots?

Gator
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
That's too bad. The SPM at Disneyland is awesome. It's smooth and the soundtrack and sound system is great. I was hoping for a smooth ride. Next time.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Did they at least smooth out some of the worst rough spots?

Some of the roughness is intended, that's why the turns are often quite sharp. It's supposed to feel out of control. However, it did seem a little less rough during some of the straightaways.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
5) Still a darn good ride, but pretty much the same way it was.

Per Disney: "We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain . . ." (And they did)

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I didn't enjoy the ride. It's still fun, but merely touching up things that have been in place since 1975 doesn't exactly keep it "fresh" either. It works in areas like Frontierland or Adventureland because those areas are kind of kitsch and the elements of the theme don't work against it.

Let's face it, a lot of the things you see on Space Mountain (in Florida at least) are things you could easily see in any '70s era sci-fi movie. I just don't see how it would be impossible for them to retain many of these so-called "classic" elements, without implementing some of things from DLR that have made their version so successful.

Keep the unique dual track layout. Keep the unique trains. But give me the upgraded lift effects,the on-board audio and the hyperspeed tunnel at the end, and put the on-ride photo THERE instead.

There's nothing saying it has to be one or the other, it can have the best of both, but it seems Disney doesn't even want to budge on something of that nature.

mousetrapper
11-16-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm just excited to be able to ride it in a few days...! I guess I'm one of those "as long as it's open when I go" people who are so annoying. :blush:

I do appreciate a good upgrade however. But I can still feel upset if a beloved ride isn't operational during my visit.

It's all good! :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
11-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for posting. It did seem like a long time for the ride to be down. I still can't wait to ride it though!:mickey:

joonyer
11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
. . . . Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Disney guests don't have to pay any more to ride a new and exciting Space Mountain than they do to ride a run-down one. As long as it isn't falling apart or breaking down, it will pretty much be at capacity all the time it is open. It might be different if guests had to pay admissions per ride.

I suspect that the number of WDW guests deciding to spend time & money at the parks & hotels (and/or the length of their stay) only marginally increases because of the rehab or renovation of any existing attraction, no matter how extensive. Thus the increase in profits for any renovated attraction probably cannot even be measured. The vast majority of WDW visitors are going to be coming to the parks and staying in Disney hotels whether Space Mountain is open or not. Even the opening of a brand new attraction, such as Expedition Everest, while it may increase daily attendance at a particular park (taking some from other parks), it probably doesn't significantly increase the number of guest vacations to WDW or the length of stays

WDW makes most of its profits in Food and merchandise sales, and to a lesser extent hotel stays. They probably barely break even on park admissions, given the cost of operating and overhead (labor). So the more they spend on park improvements the less return on those dollars.

Unfortunately for those of us who love the magic of the parks, the Bean Counters still rule. From their perspective, as long as they don't let the parks deteriorate too much, guests will keep on streaming in and buying food and merchandise, and staying in hotels. Their goal is to keep the parks in just good enough condition so that people don't stop coming. They understand that renovations (no matter how extensive) are not just not going to create many new WDW vacations and visitors.

Let's face it; most families are not gong to plan an additional trip or stay longer just because of one renovated attraction, no matter how cool and innovative, and not even for a brand new one, either.

MegaDisney
11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
SM at Disneyland was only replaced due to serious structural and safety issues, maybe that is what it will take for WDW to replace the ride.

Keep in mind that Disneyland also benefited from the installation of SM in Hong Kong which is an exact duplicate of the DL ride so they were able to get 2 for the price of one in the planning and engineering of the ride.

SignguyTom
11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
...Let's face it; most families are not gong to plan an additional trip or stay longer just because of one renovated attraction, no matter how cool and innovative, and not even for a brand new one, either.

True, but don't you think maybe they might decide NOT to go if the parks or attractions are run down or dated...??

Ms. Mode
11-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I love Space Mountain !
I'm glad it will be open when we go in January !
I've been to DL and don't plan to go there again,so I have nothing to compare WDW vs DL Space Mountain with...it's a non-issue for me. As long as the ride is safe it's fine with me:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
True, but don't you think maybe they might decide NOT to go if the parks or attractions are run down or dated...??

This is the point I'm trying to make. If nothing ever changes and all they do is maintain the status quo, what's the incentive to keep going back? Most of WDW's demographic is return guests, not first-timers. While I know there are some people out there who love Disney so much they'll come back irregardless, the more casual return visitor is going to be less and less inclined to come back over time if nothing new is added or nothing current is updated. Over time, this will eventually effect WDW as a whole.

BigThunderFan
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM

I guarantee people will decide NOT to go if a ride is closed. I agree, a run down ride would be bad, but SM is not run down by any means. Dated? Try Peter Pan (which I still love don't crucify me all you Peter Pan lovers:blush:). Space mountain is not dated simply because it doesn't have a soundtrack. People's screams and the sounds of the coasters are soundtrack enough. :thumbsup:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I guarantee people will decide NOT to go if a ride is closed. I agree, a run down ride would be bad, but SM is not run down by any means. Dated? Try Peter Pan (which I still love don't crucify me all you Peter Pan lovers:blush:). Space mountain is not dated simply because it doesn't have a soundtrack. People's screams and the sounds of the coasters are soundtrack enough. :thumbsup:

I would be really surprised if anyone based their final decision to book a WDW vacation on whether or not one attraction was open. That's not being a discriminating consumer, that's just sheer lunacy.

If the only reason anyone went to WDW was for one specific attraction, I'd question why they were wasting their money on week-long trips if that very attraction was the only thing that was enticing them to go.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Some of the roughness is intended, that's why the turns are often quite sharp. It's supposed to feel out of control. However, it did seem a little less rough during some of the straightaways.

Some roughness, perhaps. But it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the years. When we rode it for the 1st time back in the 80s, it was not nearly as rough and jerky as it has been in recent years.

BigThunderFan
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
I would be really surprised if anyone based their final decision to book a WDW vacation on whether or not one attraction was open. That's not being a discriminating consumer, that's just sheer lunacy.

If the only reason anyone went to WDW was for one specific attraction, I'd question why they were wasting their money on week-long trips if that very attraction was the only thing that was enticing them to go.

I didn't mean people wouldn't go at all, but I know several people that postponed trips until after a ride was scheduled to reopen after a lengthy refurb. We just did that this year, rather than going in October we are going in January so my son won't miss SM on his first time he's tall enough.

goofyskier
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I didn't mean people wouldn't go at all, but I know several people that postponed trips until after a ride was scheduled to reopen after a lengthy refurb. We just did that this year, rather than going in October we are going in January so my son won't miss SM on his first time he's tall enough.

I have to agree with the last part as I would have delayed by vacation had I known when I was booking that Splash would be down (AGAIN!!) in January. I have to belive that this is why Disney does not release planned refurb's / ride closings well in advance even though I am sure the plan them well in advance.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I have to agree with the last part as I would have delayed by vacation had I known when I was booking that Splash would be down (AGAIN!!) in January. I have to belive that this is why Disney does not release planned refurb's / ride closings well in advance even though I am sure the plan them well in advance.

I'm sure they plan them in advance, but I don't think they can make an announcement until the funding for the refurb has been approved, especially if said refurb is going to be substantial in either length or content.

goofyskier
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm sure they plan them in advance, but I don't think they can make an announcement until the funding for the refurb has been approved, especially if said refurb is going to be substantial in either length or content.

Agreed but, I think they also time things so as to make sure it will not significantlly affect park attendance during the time that the ride is down. That is, they wait until bookings are in place then, they publish. In the case of Splash going down in January, I feel pretty confident in saying they new it was going to be down in January back in July / August of 2009. It was'nt published until mid to late October though. By this time I assume a lot of individuals that planned to go in January / February had already started to book there trips (airfare / room reservations, etc...) and it was to late (such as in my case) to change as a result. I also feel confident in saying that someone that vacations during the off season is not as willing to pay a non-disounted rate during peak or moderate season. All said, there is some rhyme or reason to everythign they do so as to maximize there profits.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Agreed but, I think they also time things so as to make sure it will not significantlly affect park attendance during the time that the ride is down. That is, they wait until bookings are in place then, they publish. In the case of Splash going down in January, I feel pretty confident in saying they new it was going to be down in January back in July / August of 2009. It was'nt published until mid to late October though. By this time I assume a lot of individuals that planned to go in January / February had already started to book there trips (airfare / room reservations, etc...) and it was to late (such as in my case) to change as a result. I also feel confident in saying that someone that vacations during the off season is not as willing to pay a non-disounted rate during peak or moderate season. All said, there is some rhyme or reason to everythign they do so as to maximize there profits.

I think in the past they were better about getting the word out fairly far in advance. Now with the economy the way it is, I can tell you the company is being a lot more scrutinizing in how it allocates its funds. This means that every single thing requiring money has to be individually examined and can't be rubber stamped anymore, which would expedite the announcement process. It's a shame that attraction refurbishment is among these things. Annual maintenance alone should be a guarantee, not a possibility per available funding.

Stu29573
11-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok, I'm taking a big risk at maybe getting flamed here, but I'm kind of glad not much changed. I'd rather have the same ride that I discovered years ago. Granted, the DLR version is slicker and "cooler" in a way, but all that I've seen of it seems to show that it also lost a little heart along the way. Granted, seven months was a long time to wait (and I missed it being open on my trip this summer) but at least we still have a WDW original, in close to its original form. And no, I an NOT drinking kool-aid...

joanna71985
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I got to ride SM yesterday. I really enjoyed it

SurferStitch
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I can't help but think that if they changed SM too much, then we'd have a bunch of people on here complaining that they're changing too much stuff in WDW. There are so many who keep saying the classics should be left alone...kept safe and clean, but original. Now, Disney pretty much did that, and there are still complainers.

They won't ever make enough people happy, so if you are upset enough about the lack of changes, then don't ride it. Or, keep riding it, and stop complaining. :thumbsup:

Personally, I'm so glad it will be open when we're there in 13 days!

lockedoutlogic
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
First...i would venture to say that NOBODY has ever cancelled a planned trip to WDW because of a ride closure...they could probably close MGM or AK for 6 months and not really effect bookings much if any...

Second...space mountain is a 1975 steel rollercoaster...it is outdated...to think it's not is silly.

first, space mountain was way more violent when they opened it than they wanted it to be...why? because roller coaster technology prior to 1989 was horrendous...violent, rattling, shaky, gut wrenching, head banging...

some of us love that...but it was because there was no alternative...not by design.

so space mountain isn't "out of control" by design as much as it is what it is because that was the limit of design, manufacturing, installation...

So it is outdated, it has been outdated, and it will be until they either change it, replace it, or build a new one using all the new things engineers have learned in the amusement park boom of the last 20 years...

sometimes things just are rough...not by design...anyone who has ridden (RIP) Batman and Robin: The Chiller at Six Flags Great Adventure could attest to that:ack:

Tygger7
11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, I'm taking a big risk at maybe getting flamed here, but I'm kind of glad not much changed. I'd rather have the same ride that I discovered years ago. Granted, the DLR version is slicker and "cooler" in a way, but all that I've seen of it seems to show that it also lost a little heart along the way. Granted, seven months was a long time to wait (and I missed it being open on my trip this summer) but at least we still have a WDW original, in close to its original form. And no, I an NOT drinking kool-aid...

I'm with you on this one....SM holds a special place in my heart: it was the VERY first coaster I ever rode. I was fearful that it would be turned into a more intense ride (such a RnRR) and that I wouldn't be able to ride it any more. So, I'm glad that it's staying true to its original design, but to each his own. :mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm with you on this one....SM holds a special place in my heart: it was the VERY first coaster I ever rode. I was fearful that it would be turned into a more intense ride (such a RnRR) and that I wouldn't be able to ride it any more. So, I'm glad that it's staying true to its original design, but to each his own. :mickey:

To change the ride entirely was never the intention. Upgrading the effects and adding onboard audio (the things they were supposed to add but eventually cut) would not have changed the intensity but instead have improved on an already fun ride experience. When they replaced all of the track at Disneyland, it kept the exact same layout as before, only much more structurally sound as well as a foundation that was 30 feet deeper than before.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I can't help but think that if they changed SM too much, then we'd have a bunch of people on here complaining that they're changing too much stuff in WDW. There are so many who keep saying the classics should be left alone...kept safe and clean, but original. Now, Disney pretty much did that, and there are still complainers.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find one person who DIDN'T like the changes they've made to Haunted Mansion. In fact, many people praise Magic Kingdom as having the best version, and it's not even the original.

Many people also enjoyed the additions to Pirates of the Caribbean. I understand that one still has a few adherents to the original version, but at the same time it's still just as popular, if not moreso, if you consider the fact that many first timers didn't know the films were even based on an attraction.

The changes made to Space Mountain over the years at Disneyland were usually met with open arms BECAUSE they were an improvement to an already fun attraction. They weren't taking away from it, they were adding to it.

The fact is, most of the attractions, especially the so-called "classic" ones at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are fairly different from their original incarnations in some way, shape or form. Rarely do you find anyone waxing poetic about some former variation of an attraction (with Imagination and Spaceship Earth at Epcot being notable exceptions).

Change isn't always a bad thing, especially in the case of even the most cherished attractions. Taking the time to expand upon a classic by implementing the latest technologies available while carefully preserving elements of the attraction is what helps them stand the test of time. It keeps them fresh visit after visit. And we all know how much we all rush to see the latest upgrades after every major refurbishment.

Space Mountain has changed relatively little since its inception. It deserves the treatment nearly every classic attraction has gotten.

SurferStitch
11-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry if I upset you (sounds like I did). I wasn't saying anything against your original post at all.

What I posted is true, though. I was just making an observation. Look back through posts over the years, and you'll see.

I personally like to see change. I love HM, and loved every single thing they did in the new version, so no complaints here.

I can take or leave the changes to PotC. I like both versions equally, although I think the addition of Davey Jones talking in the mist was WAY cool, and an excellent addition. Both versions are great.

Would I have loved to see more upgrades and changes to SM? Sure. But, they didn't do that, and I'll still love the ride. I just can't get all jacked up about them basically only doing a refurb instead of an entire overhaul. It is what it is, and I'm fine with that.

Goes4FastPass
11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I get so bored with classic-babble.

Somebody said "plus it" then somebody else quickly replied, "given this, that and the other, what's the least we can do cost-wise?". When the answer was "We can do little." someone then said, "That's not much of a refurb." The answer was, "We'll tell the guests we left it classic."

If the WDCompany wants to give me something classic how about classic prices?

I understand WDW is a 365 day a year enterprise and attractions need periodic refurbs I just wish they wouldn't give a rennovation buildup then close for months then tell us some version of, "guests asked us to keep it classic"

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry if I upset you (sounds like I did).

No worries, you didn't upset me. I was simply pointing out that by and large many of the refurbs where big changes happened have been fairly well-received.

There have been some that haven't, and to be honest I think some of the changes they made to DLR's IASM caused some unhappy guests, but overall the reaction to a lot of classic ride refurbishments has been positive.

brothermoose
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't know - I haven't ridden the new ride yet but I don't like too much change to fast. I love the new plans on paper of fantasyland but in our recent trip I found myself taking pictures of the places where my daughter was when she was little that my much younger son will never remember.

Space mountain was one of the few rides that I remember in explicit detail from when I a kid. If they changed it too much I would be a bit sad. I think it is supposed to be a bit rough around the edges. It isn't supposed to be futuristic in 2010. Its supposed to be futuristic in 1975(74).

I'm all for improvement but I'm glad sometimes that disney takes some things slow for us soon to be old people. As I walk into future world and walk past three rides that weren't there when I was a kid I am glad space mountain is there and largly unchanged.

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I get so bored with classic-babble.

Somebody said "plus it" then somebody else quickly replied, "given this, that and the other, what's the least we can do cost-wise?". When the answer was "We can do little." someone then said, "That's not much of a refurb." The answer was, "We'll tell the guests we left it classic."

If the WDCompany wants to give me something classic how about classic prices?

I understand WDW is a 365 day a year enterprise and attractions need periodic refurbs I just wish they wouldn't give a rennovation buildup then close for months then tell us some version of, "guests asked us to keep it classic"

Touchdown!!:football:

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find one person who DIDN'T like the changes they've made to Haunted Mansion. In fact, many people praise Magic Kingdom as having the best version, and it's not even the original.

Many people also enjoyed the additions to Pirates of the Caribbean. I understand that one still has a few adherents to the original version, but at the same time it's still just as popular, if not moreso, if you consider the fact that many first timers didn't know the films were even based on an attraction.

The changes made to Space Mountain over the years at Disneyland were usually met with open arms BECAUSE they were an improvement to an already fun attraction. They weren't taking away from it, they were adding to it.

The fact is, most of the attractions, especially the so-called "classic" ones at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are fairly different from their original incarnations in some way, shape or form. Rarely do you find anyone waxing poetic about some former variation of an attraction (with Imagination and Spaceship Earth at Epcot being notable exceptions).

Change isn't always a bad thing, especially in the case of even the most cherished attractions. Taking the time to expand upon a classic by implementing the latest technologies available while carefully preserving elements of the attraction is what helps them stand the test of time. It keeps them fresh visit after visit. And we all know how much we all rush to see the latest upgrades after every major refurbishment.

Space Mountain has changed relatively little since its inception. It deserves the treatment nearly every classic attraction has gotten.

absolutely perfect

Stu29573
11-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Touchdown!!:football:

...and here comes my flag to contest the call...

Sorry, I mean what I say. Not everything needs to be "plussed beyond recognition." However, I know that this is an opinion, and no matter how valid mine is, yours is valid too (except mine is better-just kidding):D

Imagineer1981
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
How about a different point of view:

How many times do we on this board complain that they are destroying our classics? That Disney just wants to keep changing everything and destroy our memories. Well it seems as though with this new Space Mountain update, they listened to us, and kept the ride as classic as it always has been, with a few minor upgrades for the guest experience and tons of upgrade for the basic operation of the ride behind the scenes. I personally am very glad to hear that they kept the ride as is, and kept its classic nature. If I want to ride a roller coaster that sits 2 across, goes really fast and has music, guess what, I'll go over to DHS and ride RnR...a ride that Disneyland doesn't have and so they had a valid reason to change their Space Mountain to be more a more exciting ride, plus they have no space to keep expanding in DL like they do at WDW.

I can't wait to ride Space Mountain again, and thats my :twocents:

Stu29573
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
How about a different point of view:

How many times do we on this board complain that they are destroying our classics? That Disney just wants to keep changing everything and destroy our memories. Well it seems as though with this new Space Mountain update, they listened to us, and kept the ride as classic as it always has been, with a few minor upgrades for the guest experience and tons of upgrade for the basic operation of the ride behind the scenes. I personally am very glad to hear that they kept the ride as is, and kept its classic nature. If I want to ride a roller coaster that sits 2 across, goes really fast and has music, guess what, I'll go over to DHS and ride RnR...a ride that Disneyland doesn't have and so they had a valid reason to change their Space Mountain to be more a more exciting ride, plus they have no space to keep expanding in DL like they do at WDW.

I can't wait to ride Space Mountain again, and thats my :twocents:

My thoughts exactly.:mickey:

bruin1344
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I love Space Mountain !
As long as the ride is safe it's fine with me:mickey:

i agree

thejens
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Perhaps next they'll add some characters along the ride, a gift shop with lots of Stitch as you leave the ride, and perhaps a meet and greet with a photo pass photographer?

wdwfansince75
11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks, Imagineer1981...my thoughts exactly!
Over the years, I have gone on SM with DW, both DD's, both DS's, and five (of seven) of our DGK's...plus other friends and family members...
DS#I learned that mommy swears as we hit the first hill....
DD#1 and I rode SM 26 times on a 4 day trip....back to back 6 times during the MS Electrical Parade....
Rode it 6 times, alternating sides, during an E-Ticket Night...Really miss E-Ticket nights!
IMHO, SM was/is a great ride, and I have fond memories of SM rides from past trips. I am not disappointed that they didn't make a major change....I accept all my old friends, with their faults, as I hope they accept me with mine.
It was fun to tell DGD#2 that she screamed just like her mom did at the same age, and at the same places....and I look forward to my first rides, on my old friend, with DGD#3 and DGS#4....perhaps for my 70th, in 2011!

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I think a point needs to be made here that replacing the track/adding new effects would not have fundamentally changed the ride. A lot of people here seem to be equating anything new other than what was already there as drastically changing the dynamic of the ride when that's not the case at all.

Space Mountain has and always will be an indoor roller coaster with a mirrored dual track layout and special effects intended to create the illusion that you're flying through space.

That concept, regardless of what they had done during the refurbishment, would not have changed. What they would have changed would merely improve the ride experience. The track getting replaced, although with the main intention of supporting the weight of upgraded trains, would have kept the same layout. However, with the knowledge of an additional 34 years of roller coaster design available, it would have been sturdier, and smoother.

The onboard audio would have helped guests suspend disbelief of the fact that they were on a roller coaster, and truly racing through space. This would be augmented by the audio being able to mask the sounds of the anti-rollback devices on the lift, and the trim brakes mid-course. It also would have hidden the screams of other riders, making it seem like you and you alone would have been on that rocket racing through space.

The added special effects could have been mind-boggling. Anybody that's seen the lift tunnel on Space Mountain at DLR knows what I'm talking about. You ascend a tunnel of circular rings (projected) and they begin to spin, making it seem as if your ship is rotating as you ascend, approaching what appears to be a wormhole. The music crescendos and you enter the main interior of the mountain surrounded by millions of bright stars (which at this point, you haven't seen yet). Much more dramatic and exciting than the current dull lift.

The hyperspeed tunnel at the end, with its amazing lighting effects making it seem as if you're going MUCH faster than you really are before slowing down to a stop would have been a perfect finale as well as a great spot for an on-ride photo. I'd take this any day over a fiberglass tube with some red flashing lights and a sound effect that could have been used in 1960's era Star Trek.

None of these things, however, would have changed the fundamental idea of the ride itself. It would still be a roller coaster, it would still be in the dark, it would still take the same path with all the same turns and drops. None of that would change. Everything added would be done so with the intention of enhancing it. Disney is all about keeping people in the story. And as far as I'm concerned, whenever I ride Space Mountain in Florida, I have a really hard time believing I'm "racing through space" because I can't ignore all the telltale signs that I'm riding a roller coaster. California, however, is a different story.

Goes4FastPass
11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I think a point needs to be made here that replacing the track/adding new effects would not have fundamentally changed the ride...

This post is all true.

Sometimes it seems like these discussions get responded to by two groups: The Curmudgeons and the Defenders. The curmudgeons seems to always fuss about what could be better and the defenders seem to reply back, "Everything at my Disney World is perfect just as it is.". I'm probably a curmudgeon but I'm still (of course) a WDW fan.

BigThunderFan
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
This post is all true.

Sometimes it seems like these discussions get responded to by two groups: The Curmudgeons and the Defenders. The curmudgeons seems to always fuss about what could be better and the defenders seem to reply back, "Everything at my Disney World is perfect just as it is.". I'm probably a curmudgeon but I'm still (of course) a WDW fan.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Of course the ride could have been better with upgrades, and of course many of us wish it were done. But, in the long run we are all Disney fans and just glad we still have the ride.

MNNHFLTX
11-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I was disappointed to read the OP's review and hear that they had not made more significant changes to Space Mountain. I have been riding WDW's version of Space Mountain since it opened in 1975 and while I am nostalgic about the ride, I would love for it to be updated the way the Disneyland version was (which, incidentally, opened two years after the WDW one). IMHO it could have stayed closed a while longer if the outcome was worth it. Granted, there would have been people disgruntled because it was closed during their trip, but as WDW is open 365 days a year, how do you ever upgrade attractions without disappointing someone?

To make matters worse, I'm sure the lines will be four times as long as before, now that it's officially reopened. Not sure it will be worth the wait when I am there next week. :unsure:

Granny Jill A
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure. They need to start focusing on quality again. Giving into the complainers and rushing a refurb to have it open for Christmas, especially after seeing what the end result was (which is to say, it's pretty much the exact same ride) has proven to me that TDO has really lost its way in terms of delivering a unique and memorable experience so many years after an attraction has opened.

Agree with most of your post, but can't quite believe that Disney is responding to mere customers' whining. If that were the case, many more things that need fixing would have been by now.

mousetrapper
11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Just returned from our trip. We rode SM several times. I'm going to comment on the ride as a whole - queue, loading areas, ride and exit. Much of this everyone already knows by now, so I'm just giving my impressions.

There are two sides: Alpha (left side) and Omega (right side) - I know there were always two sides but I don't think they were named before (at least I didn't notice).

As others have said, there are no significant changes to the ride itself. The interactive video games really don't add anything positive to the experience, and IMHO, they detract from that "deep space" feeling. We always loved the way it feels like you are getting deeper and deeper into outer space as you work your way through the queue to the loading area.

The ride itself seems smoother and less rickety to me. Both sides weren't operating together each time we rode. The times both sides were operating you could see other riders zoom by you at certain points. I didn't remember that before, but my DH says it was always that way.

You don't see the glow-in-the-dark stripes on the cars as they zip overhead of the loading area anymore. We miss that.

The ride also has a strange temporary feel to it, like it's still under construction. There are areas that seem very hastily finished. The floor has a cool black paint with greenish sparkles, but it's very rough looking in spots. I guess it was intentional but again, it seems unfinished and borderline sloppy.

There's also new paint near the loading area - a beautiful vibrant blue - but as you enter the loading area on the Alpha side it's all peeling off and people (I assume) have been picking at it. There are big patches peeled off with the white drywall showing. Really awful. My DH, who's in construction, said, "Looks like somebody forgot the primer!" Again, this adds to the impression that they really rushed to finish this.

There's also the green wall on the left and the "Thanks for flying with us" banner on the right along the moving walkway. That also seems unfinished. We were all wondering if there will be some kind of green screen special effect there (i.e. when you look to your right you see yourself with some space-y visuals projected on the green screen behind you).

We liked the tableaus on the right side along the exit walkway - under the sea, spelunking, the cocktail lounge with the robot waiter, etc.

We got to see the ride with the lights on when we rode the TTA when SM was closed. The tracks all look brand new.

A few more observations: the horse head nebula picture is gone, which we really loved. The new cars are nice - more comfortable than the old ones.

Finally, to me, the ride seems slightly more intense than it did before, but that could just be me. It's definitely smoother, so I think by eliminating the distraction of the jerky movements it adds to the intensity. I really didn't know which way it was going to go (i.e. down, up, right, left) so I think that also added to the intensity for me.

SurferStitch
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info, mousetrapper. We're looking forward to riding it next week!

Melanie
11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I was there Sunday morning for the official re-opening. It was a bit hectic, with long FP lines and the standby originally back towards Stitch, but after we exited the had finally contained the queue to the indoors.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the interactive queue. I think it's a terrible idea. The game itself reminded us of the space game over at Mission:Space, and I see this only causing problems with holding up the line, grumpy guests, etc.

Here goes the comparison (but I just can't help it) - I did enjoy the ride, but I couldn't help walking out thinking it could be so much more (Disneyland).

I did like the new cushiony seats. :thumbsup: Quite comfortable, but still a tad bit tight if you have any kind of bag with you.

And we totally noticed the peeling paint in the loading area mentioned by the previous poster. That looks terrible!

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-24-2009, 09:30 PM
There are two sides: Alpha (left side) and Omega (right side) - I know there were always two sides but I don't think they were named before (at least I didn't notice).

They've always been known by those names internally to help cast differentiate between the two. It's just that now they've got the signs up. I think it adds a little more personality to the fact that there's two sides, despite the fact that they're identical.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
We got to see the ride with the lights on when we rode the TTA when SM was closed. The tracks all look brand new.

Except they aren't. Complete track replacement including supports would have taken much longer than 7 months as they would have had to open up the mountain and bring in construction equipment to dismantle/rebuild.

seanyred
11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Having just recently returned from a trip to WDW I was able to ride Space Mountain twice this past Monday.

The positives: The queue is themed much better and I did get to play with the interactive game and it was a nice addition to help pass the time while in line. The loading area is also better themed and has a much warmer feel to it. I especially enjoyed the new stars and space station on the ceiling. The ride is the same except it is noticeably darker while on the ride and its harder to see where the track is going. The star field seemed brighter as well. Also the seats are improved...I'm a bigger guy and was very comfortable in these new seats didn't feel like I was crammed.

The Negatives: No on board speakers, The picture taking part is to bright and hurt my eyes.

All things considered I think it was a decent refurbishment. I like the current track layout so I'm not upset that it didn't get replaced just wished they could add the music. Having rode both the updated DL and WDW version. I still say DL is better with effects, but I enjoy the bumpy, jerky ride of WDW better.

Ryan Towle
12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Perhaps next they'll add some characters along the ride, a gift shop with lots of Stitch as you leave the ride, and perhaps a meet and greet with a photo pass photographer?

Worst...idea...ever....I'm hoping and praying that you were being sarcastic.

DisneyorBust
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm looking forward to experiencing SM during our next trip to WDW. As I never have been to any other Dinsy parks, (DL, DLP etc) I won't be able to compare them, but hopefully just enjoy it!

kbean
12-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Geez.....They add a bunch of flat screens and some new different lighting....Big deal......

Id take it the way it was....

Imagineer1981
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
They've always been known by those names internally to help cast differentiate between the two. It's just that now they've got the signs up. I think it adds a little more personality to the fact that there's two sides, despite the fact that they're identical.

Actually for us CM's it was just A side and B side, B side being on the right as you enter space mountain and the main side.

Captain_Nemo
12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I am fine with it being the same. I remember when it had fake alien news cast on tv's in the loading area kinda miss that for some reason.

NJDad
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Can't understand the thinking on the new line. Was there the other day with a longish line, which is all wrapped around on and behind the loading area. But we walked right past the interactive parts of the line.

Why not have the line go back where it was meant to and not weave around in misery for 20 minutes after skipping all the fun stuff?

Altair
02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Can't understand the thinking on the new line. Was there the other day with a longish line, which is all wrapped around on and behind the loading area. But we walked right past the interactive parts of the line.

Why not have the line go back where it was meant to and not weave around in misery for 20 minutes after skipping all the fun stuff?

Here is another example of this. The Standby wait at Test Track was 30 minutes and the single rider wait was 10. Here is a shot of the TT waiting area:TT queue (http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/43096/2383082280053696626S600x600Q85.jpg)

Why not have the FastPassers and single riders enter outside and the Standby people enter inside so they can at least see all the things inside the building. The way they do it defies all logic.:huh:

MegaDisney
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I read that the green screen effects are now working in the exit area. True?

Stu29573
02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Here is another example of this. The Standby wait at Test Track was 30 minutes and the single rider wait was 10. Here is a shot of the TT waiting area:TT queue (http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/43096/2383082280053696626S600x600Q85.jpg)

Why not have the FastPassers and single riders enter outside and the Standby people enter inside so they can at least see all the things inside the building. The way they do it defies all logic.:huh:

My personal thoughts on this is that its to give the people who have to wait in that long standby line a little bonus for doing so. At TSM you bypass Mr. Potato Head in the Fastpass line. As much as I'd like to see him, the longer line isn't worth it to me...

NJDad
02-02-2010, 06:00 AM
I read that the green screen effects are now working in the exit area. True?

Yup, unless you're the height of our DS and can't see or be seen much.