PDA

View Full Version : Ride Review - Food Rocks

Red Randal
11-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Ride Review – Food Rocks

I thought I’d go back in time this week to check out one of my old favorites: the dearly departed “Food Rocks” from The Land pavilion at Epcot.

Intro: Opened in 1994, Food Rocks replaced another beloved show, Kitchen Kabaret, in Epcot’s The Land pavilion.

Queue: Not so much a queue as a pre-show holding pen, we enter a room with various food trivia adorning the walls and spread throughout the room.

Show: Our rock and roll nutrition concert begins with the Utensils performing a little number about being in the kitchen. Then we’re joined by our host, Fud Wrapper. You see, he’s a nutrition label who raps. If you don’t like puns, this is not the show for you. He introduces The Peach Boys, a band composed of anthropomorphic fruit who do Beach Boys parodies (in this case “Good Nutrition” to the tune of “Good Vibrations.”)

The proceedings are interrupted by heavy metal band Excess, made up of junk food. They aren’t interested in nutrition. Fud Wrapper cuts them off to introduce The Refrigerator Police to perform “Every Bite You Take” to the tune of “Every Breath You Take.” “Every milk you shake, every egg you break, we’ll be part of you.” Yep…it’s this kind of show. “Every single dish, every bread and fish…”

Next up is my personal favorite: Pita Gabriel. He sings about the merits of high fiber and, of course, bad puns abound! If you’re curious, a Greek sandwich singing about regularity to the tune of Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” is the point where this show officially crosses over to surreal.

The junk food guys interject again and nobody cares. I mean, seriously, did THIS show really need to have an antagonist? It’s vegetables and milk cartons with human features singing rock songs.

Fud Wrapper, himself, does a version of “Funky Cold Medina” and apparently this is actually Tone Loc. Let me repeat that…Tone Loc once emceed an Epcot attraction.

Next up is the “soul of rock and roll.” Oh wait, how silly of me, it’s actually the “SOLE of rock and roll”…a fish with Cher’s face on it. Following this is Little Richard (yes, the real Little Richard) as a pineapple singing, big shocker, “Tutti Fruity.” I liked the Mean Gene Okerlund version better. Yeah, I know that only like two people reading this actually know what I’m talking about.

Neil Mousakka sings about vegetables and Chubby Cheddar sings about exercise. I can’t believe this show is still going on…if for no other reason than I figured they’d run out of puns by now (or, at least, exported the rest to Muppet Vision.) There’s more goofiness with the junk food guys singing about their slovenly lifestyle.

Tone Loc pulls the plug and candy bar versions of the Pointer Sisters sing about eating in moderation. Things come to a close with the whole cast taking to the stage for a big ensemble version of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” “Choose before you chew, we’re waiting in the kitchen for you…”

Yeah. That pretty well sums it up.

Thoughts: This was the first time I’ve seen this show since it closed for Soarin a few years ago. I’m sorry to say it didn’t really age well.

It was a fun show for sure and did a great job with the Epcot theme of being informative while also being lighthearted and fun. It’s not perfect and many people will argue that it’s nowhere near as good as its predecessor, Kitchen Kabaret. Personally, I think it was a good effort (and considering how darn fat Americans are getting anymore, it’s a message that should probably still be in Epcot somewhere) but I’m not mourning its departure to make way for Soarin’.

This one falls firmly in the “perfectly acceptable excuse to sit inside in air conditioning for 15 minutes” category.

Overall Rating: ***

darthmacho
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I didn't even know it was still open. I thought it was closed -go figure. In any case, we've seen it once, and it was a decent show, but these days just about any theme park can duplicate that kind of a show. I saw a show at Storyland, N.H. this past summer, that reminded me of it, and to be honest, it was about on par, or better.

What has the world come to? :mickey:

Imagineer1981
11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Kitchen Kabaret I think was much better, with "veggie veggie fruit fruit". Although not the most popular attraction, I think it added a fun and educational show to the Land, and was a good attraction at Epcot

Stu29573
11-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I saw it. I liked it. I agree it wouldn't age well. Solid ***.

Red Randal
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I didn't even know it was still open. I thought it was closed -go figure.

It is NOT still open. It was removed to make way for the Soarin queue. I should have been more clear about this.

Bellewannabe
11-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Does this even exist anymore? I thought this was in the space of Soarin'. I loved this show. I'm educated as a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist and I'm for anything that gets people thinking about what they put in their bodies.

brad192
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I realy loved this show. Yeah, it was corny & contrivied. but it was what Epcot was originally all about... Entertainning guests while educating them as well. Nutrition...C'mon! The US is one of the worst when it comes to informing & educating it's people about proper diet, excercise, et al...

We could ALL take a lesson from this show.

OK, Im off my soapbox now...

Zawadi
11-14-2009, 04:28 AM
I didn't even know it was still open. I thought it was closed -go figure.

You were correct to think that it had closed. Food Rocks was closed to make way for Soarin'

d_m_n_n
11-14-2009, 07:33 AM
It was fun to watch with DS(then)3, but I would never give up Soarin' to bring it back! :mickey:

RIP Food Rocks!

Lakin
11-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Never been on it. :(

Joannelet
11-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I was very little when this was opened and we loved it.

We liked the original first show much better than when they "updated" it!!
But Soarin can definitely take the place of singing food any day! :)

mainemajor
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
It was kind of cutsie and air conditioned. While it was there we did go on each visit and as the boys grew they laughed with us at how corney the show was. But fun none the less.

coneygoil
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I only saw it once when it first opened and didn't like it at all. I was a big Kitchen Kabaret fan and Food Rocks didn't compare at all! I want Kitchen Kabaret back!

"I'd like to sing about a friend who has really come far. He started with some dough then he rose to be star..." hehehe...

PopeCharming
11-15-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm judging this purely by youtube videos..

But I gave Food Rocks two stars. The pace is so clipped and fast that it doesn't let you enjoy and savor any one part of the show before whisking you away to something else. Queen, Tone Luc, Pointer Sisters, Beach Boys, Peter Gabriel...all of these seem to only sing for about 20 seconds before they are cut off. Why even bother to make such elaborate animatronics and get celebrities to do the voices if each character is so underused? I can't help to compare it unfavorably against its predecessor Kitchen Kaberet.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Kitchen Kabaret I think was much better, with "veggie veggie fruit fruit". Although not the most popular attraction, I think it added a fun and educational show to the Land, and was a good attraction at Epcot

Isn't that the truth!!
Just another example of the newer attraction not being able to hold a candle to the old.:(

Red Randal
11-16-2009, 12:00 AM
The pace is so clipped and fast that it doesn't let you enjoy and savor any one part of the show before whisking you away to something else....Why even bother to make such elaborate animatronics and get celebrities to do the voices if each character is so underused?

THIS. I wish I thought to make that point myself.

Loweschevy
11-16-2009, 10:24 AM
I definetely thought it was one of the better shows around at the time. It was a nice diversion during the day. It was never packed and a good way to cool off.