PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up or Thumbs down?: American Idol Experience

MaxPower
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I see very few posts on here about the American Idol Experience.

Any opinions out there regarding whether it's worth a visit?

Also, is there some special end-of-the year version bringing back the previous winners throughout the year?

A Big Kid
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I went April. My family DRAGGED me in. I love it!

Melanie
11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
It's worth doing once. I had a good time and would go back again.

green ranger
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I think it is worth doing. My whole family enjoyed it. I wish we did the final show at the end of the day, but we ran out of time (once again).

stitchaholic
11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
:thumbsup:

CaptSmee
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
It was surprisingly entertaining! very well done...

dream6
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I had no desire to see this show but I am glad I did it. It was pretty entertaining but the last show of the night was the most fun - we watched from the outside and it was like a mini dance party because everyone was getting really into it :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
My DH LOVED it! I had gone back to the resort with the kids by then, but he gave it a :thumbsup:.

beksy
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Great question. :thumbsup: It sounds like we should give it a try. How long does a show last?

MOJoe
11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Since AI is a live show, the experiences vary, depending on how entertaining the performers are. The first time i saw it, the performers were great. They really got the crowd going. One guy did a Queen song and got the whole audience holding up their arms, waving back and forth.
The next show had 3 average performers. So if that had been the only show i saw, i would have more or a "take it or leave it" attitude.
So, yes it is worth seeing. It only lasts 20 or 30 minutes. And since park attendees are the participants, it's not likely will you see people return at the end of the year.

darthmacho
11-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Thumbs down-sight unseen. I hate that show. Sorry if that seems anti-American, but it's just now my thing.

Stu29573
11-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm the only person in America who has never seen the TV show, therefore I skipped it last trip...

GrumpyFan
11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
We saw one of the day shows with 3 contestants when we were there last month. It's not bad, but it's the kind of show that is going to vary based on the performers and how into it the crowd is. It's worth catching at least once just to check it out. I would also like to stick around and catch the evening show where all the winners from the day perform and see that goes, but we didn't stay long enough when we were there.

Gator
11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Haven't seen it yet, and I stopped watching the show after 2 seasons out of boredom. But because it is the root cause of Fantamic! being cut down to 2 shows a week, I give it a HUGE thumbs down. Pretty sure my kids want to see Mickey and Fireoworks before they want to see a bunch of wannabes.

phillydan
11-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I couldn't be bothered, but my 2 daughters (13 & 12) absolutely loved the show. It is a time hog if you want to see multiple shows and the finale. The day we were there, they only had one show because the voting computers were down. I guess with all Disney attractions, you have to try it once to form your opinion. Maybe next trip for me.

wdwnomad
11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I was very skeptical about this show when I first heard about it. I skipped the first time my family went to it. They loved it so much that we made a second trip back. I went to that show and I must say I really got into it. It was really good.

For my next trip, I scheduled an early dinner so we can try to watch the finale show.

cather74
11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
It's one of my favorite shows on tv but I skipped it because it seemed too time consuming. Maybe next time.:)

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
11-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I took my 4 year old, and we both had a blast!! Like everybody says, the experience will be different each time depending on the contestants and the crowd. It's very fun though, and something I'd do again.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Don't know that it's a must-see, but DD and I enjoyed it once. Not planning on dragging DH in to it since he doesn't get into the show at all.

MaxPower
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
How many shows are there each day?

Is the finale show always the same time each day?

Why do so many of these posts describe this attraction as "time consuming?"?

ginny57
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I seem to recall there were 6-7 shows daily. I did it 2x and enjoyed it. I am planning on hitting the end of day show on my next trip...I hear it gets quite a crowd.

Time consuming?? No more than any other "show" in my opinion....

We really had a great time. :thumbsup:

FenwayGirl
11-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I loved it! I too was hesitant to check it out, but curiosity got the better of me.
Great fun!!

Shugoondola
11-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm the only person in America who has never seen the TV show

I think that makes two of us!

:mickey:

Stu29573
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Welcome to the club!:D

PlutoPlanet
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
We liked it a lot. We'll do it again.

disneyboundagain
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Make it 4 of us! I am very proud to say that I have never watched ANY reality show. I know I am in the minority, and this is just my opinion, but I think they are a disgrace.

Evil Genius
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Make it 4 of us! I am very proud to say that I have never watched ANY reality show. I know I am in the minority, and this is just my opinion, but I think they are a disgrace.

See that's the thing though...American Idol is no more a "reality show" than say Star Search was back in the day or any other talent competition. It's better classified as a gameshow/talent show.

Just my two cents.

BluewaterBrad
11-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm the only person in America who has never seen the TV show, therefore I skipped it last trip...

No, you are not. I actually have never seen it also. I skipped AI last 2 trips, but I think I might have to catch it next time.:mickey:

Stu29573
11-19-2009, 03:41 PM
No, you are not. I actually have never seen it also. I skipped AI last 2 trips, but I think I might have to catch it next time.:mickey:

It's nice to have company. :mickey:

Hull-onian
11-19-2009, 04:24 PM
We all loved the American Idol Experience. We had a lot of fun. Too bad that this thread wasn't done as a poll. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bass T-bone
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
:down:

Just not for me. As a professional musician, going there would be too much like going to work.

DizneyRox
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Sight unseen, double thumbs down... No interest in watching the TV show with "talent" even less seeing it on vacation with who knows what.

disneyboundagain
11-19-2009, 11:40 PM
See that's the thing though...American Idol is no more a "reality show" than say Star Search was back in the day or any other talent competition. It's better classified as a gameshow/talent show.

Just my two cents.

But isn't that the show where the judges insult the performers, for no reason other than to get ratings? Name one gameshow "back in the day" that was popular due to insulting the contestants.

DizneyRox
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Name one gameshow "back in the day" that was popular due to insulting the contestants.
That would be the Gong Show, no?

Evil Genius
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
That would be the Gong Show, no?

You beat me to it!

Plus, no matter how much the contestants are insulted (which they sign a waver allowing them to do so) the call in audience chooses who stays on from week to week dependent on which performers they enjoyed.

Now granted there is a level of popularity contest involved that sways votes away from those who might be the most vocally talented (Melinda Doolittle being the prime example) but nevertheless it is still isn't a reality show either like Survivor or Big Brother...or something akin to Jon and Kate Plus Eight.

elmjimmlm
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
We tried it in August and loved it...We went to an afternoon show and made it back for the 7pm show and when we go back we will be doing it again...:thumbsup: