PDA

View Full Version : The Music of Disney

vorpalswrd
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
From "boingboing"
Cory Doctorow

How the ambient sound at Walt Disney World works

Noah sez, "An interview with the man who designed the ambient sound at Disney World, ensuring a constant experience rather than one that ends with the end of the ride. It was initially a little uneven, with sound changing volumes depending on where you stood, so they used algorithms to position 15,000 speakers around the park so that the levels would never change." I like the way there's often running water or waterfalls between different soundscapes to act as a white-noise buffer. It's subtle but incredibly effective. You almost never hear two contrasting soundscapes at once.
In the mid 1990's, the park started researching the problem. It would eventually find no existing solution, so the engineers had to design and construct, on their own, one of the most complex and advanced audio systems ever built. The work paid off: today, as you walk through Disney World, the volume of the ambient music does not change. Ever. More than 15,000 speakers have been positioned using complex algorithms to ensure that the sound plays within a range of just a couple decibels throughout the entire park. It is quite a technical feat acoustically, electrically, and mathematically. As we land, I ask Mr Q what he considers the highlight of his career. He describes how he wrote some software for "manufacturing emotion" with the thousands of new speakers in the park. The system he built can slowly change the style of the music across a distance without the visitor noticing. As a person walks from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland, for example, each of the hundreds of speakers slowly fades in different melodies at different frequencies so that at any point you can stop and enjoy a fully accurate piece of music, but by the time you walk 400 feet, the entire song has changed and no one has noticed.

Buttercup
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
That's a cool article! :mickey:

DisneyKim22
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
That is one of the most interesting things I've heard in some time. It's amazing how successful this has been because I know I've never noticed the changes as they happen. I'm going to have to pay more attention next time to see if I can hear the subtle changes they mention. How fun! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
11-11-2009, 02:12 PM
That is very interesting. I think the area music adds so much to the experience of the parks. I know a lot of other places incorporate that into their entertainment, but I assume Disney was the first to implement it, or at least was the first to perfect it. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Its what helps keep the illusion of the show. The color pallete, the way the lands transition, its all carefully studied and researched and it really is one of the things that sets Disney apart from all other parks

johnO
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I think the music at WDW is absolutely crucial in setting the mood.

Me Encanta!

dream6
11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Very cool article. I had no idea so much went into it, but now I appreciate the music even more. I have to admit that the music is probably one of my favorite things in Disney.

SillySymphony
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Much the same way Disney has successfully used the "Smellitzer" concept to draw our attention to scent, surrounding us with ambient music and sound "fleshes out" our experience. As a teacher, I am constantly searching for ways to address students in multiple modalities (sight, hearing, tactile). Disney Theme Parks and Resorts have adopted the same practice. If you pay attention to the Ambient Background music in Epcot's Future World Plaza, you will hear wonderful symphonic arrangements of "Living with The Land", "Golden Dream" and other themes. The Magic Kingdom loop which plays in the ticket and queuing area is an hour-long medley of music from attractions and lands. Many of these "programmed" loops are available for purchase. Specifically, the Music of Animal Kingdom is brilliant!

DisneyorBust
11-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Great article, thanks for sharing it!
The music makes the parks a more immersive experience for me. Listening (as I am right now) takes me back, to specific areas of the parks and brings back fond memories.

2Epcot
11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for posting, that is very interesting. We all know that there is music in the parks, but it is fascinating to see how much detail has gone into how the sound is heard.

MushuGrl
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Raise your hands if you just noticed it did that.

*raises hand*

22ridesandtheTOL
11-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Great article! I just got back from eight days in the parks on the 21st. We noticed how the music began shifting to holiday themed songs in certain areas, then closer to the rides back to their specific themes. Very cool.

Which makes me think of operant conditioning (in a good way), because having been on Soarin' and Star Tours many times I find just listenting to the music gives me a subjective 'feel' of being on the ride. This is a lot of fun, especially when listening to the park CDs at work. Hopefully this makes sense. :cloud9:

DigitalDaredevil
11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Great article. Very interesting.
I think we all appreciate this whether we realize it or not. Imagine WDW without music. The music adds the drama and excitement of the park. Now when you hear that music, it can be as strong asn a scent is to triggering memories (I.E. The ever appearing "smell of the fountains" threads).

LudwigVonDrake
11-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Interesting stuff :mickey: