PDA

View Full Version : Need a suggestion....

Sunshine1010
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
What is a good vehicle to buy that will fit 2 adults, an 8-year old and two 5-yr olds. I need it to be big enough to pack luggage, groceries, etc. also. Suggestions?

diz_girl
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Your best bet is probably the Toyota Highlander. You can fit three in the back and there is as much cargo space as a Ford Explorer. They sell a 4-cylinder version that gets 20 city/27 hwy, but it's a base model and hardly any options are available. They also have a hybrid version that gets 27 city/25 hwy. The V6 gets about 18 city/25 hwy.

If you want a domestic, then try the Buick Enclave (its sisters are the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse and Saturn Outlook). They are very roomy and come in either a 7-seater or 8-seater, with the 8-seater having a 2nd row bench to fit three and the 7-seater having two captains chairs in the 2nd row. The 8-seat version with the third row folded has as much cargo space as a minivan. It gets about 17 city/24 hwy, but the AWD version is a little lower.

My father has a Lincoln MKX and likes it a lot, but his one complaint is the gas mileage. He averages 16 mpg and the EPA estimate is 16 city/22 hwy for the AWD version.

If you're looking for a sedan, then try a Madza6. It looks very nice, can fit three in the back, is at a good price point and has a large trunk. It gets about 21 city/29 hwy. It is made in the U.S., in the same plant that makes the Ford Mustang.

There are also minivans. We have the Mazda5, which seats six. However, in order to seat six you give up most of your cargo space, so I wouldn't recommend it for your situation. Our other daily car is a VW Jetta, which would also not fit your situation. One other thing about minivans. I don't know if you are looking for a domestic car or not, but the only minivans made in the U.S. are from Japanese car companies. The Chrysler, Dodge and VW minivans are all made in Canada.

crazypoohbear
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a dodge grand caravan that I like. It seats 7 so if any of the kids bring a friend you will have room. It handles a ton of lugguage, groceries, sports equipment etc.
My next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota mini van. even though my kids are growing up quickly, I like the room and when we go anywhere with my sisters we have enough space for everyone and shopping bags.

DisneyDog
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I love my kia rondo. Small car, decent gas mileage, deceptively roomy. You can also get them with a third row.

greengeen
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
The current model Toyota Highlander is not as great as the previous (completely redesigned for 2009) so I didn't upgrade my 2001 Highlander to the new one, I chose a Honda Pilot. If I had to choose again, I would still go with the Pilot. I have 3 boys and make frequent trips to WDW from North Florida, they love traveling in the Pilot.

garymacd
11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
How about a Dodge Sprinter Van set out as a passenger van.

You can have a Square Dance in the back of it!

mdhiggin
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
We love our Toyota Sienna. We bought it two years old and have had it two years, and it has had no problems whatsoever. We had read about their reliability before purchase. Mine seats 7, but you can get ones that seat 8. The luggage area is recessed, so you can put even more stuff in it. The back row will fold down into the recessed area completely flat if you need to haul something large too. Our family of 5 have been very impressed with this purchase.

disneyboundagain
11-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry, but I wouldn't get caught dead with a foreign car in the driveway, but that's just me:thumbsup: Please don't reply that foreign cars are more domestic than the domestics, I didn't mean to start anything.

You didn't say if gas milage is a concern, and you didn't say if you wanted to buy new or used. DW drives a Chrysler Aspen (no longer made), and she loves it. The last 4 she drove before the Aspen were all Tahoes, and I liked those a lot better. Either one is nice in size, but not too big to park in garages in town. They have plenty of room, ample power, and generally have a nice "feel" going down the road. Neither would be a good idea if you are concerned with gas milage though, they average around 14-16 MPG.

BigRedDad
11-11-2009, 07:20 AM
With 5 people, you are looking at a mini van or extra large SUV. For safety, I would never put three kids in a single row for any type of traveling. Many head injuries in accidents occur from two heads hitting each other. Picture two watermelons being launched at each other. I would be looking at something with 3 rows as long as the 3rd row is not smack dab against the back of the vehicle.

My opinion would be a large SUV (Tahoe, Suburban, Nissan Armada, etc size wise) or a minivan.