PDA

View Full Version : New Space Mountain Que

REV
11-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone, her is a link to Disneys Blog on the new Space Mountain Que.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/11/walt-disney-world%e2%80%99s-classic-space-mountain-attraction-to-reopen-with-a-few-surprises/

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok, I will admit that is quite nice. One thing California lacks is a nice queue. Most of it is, in fact, outside. Whether or not the ride's upgrades will be up to par remains to be seen.

disneymom15
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks for the link

DVC2004
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
What? You mean they got rid of the queue line video loop of the ride car hurtling through space with the 80's lady moving back and forth? That was my favorite!;)

Thanks for the link- it looks great. We'll be very excited to see it next month.:thumbsup:

Ms. Mode
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm going to email it to my DD. Space Mnt is my favorite ride, hers is Slash Mnt, but they are closing it the day before we get there in January:( Anyway, she will love seeing the preview:mickey:

mcjaco
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok, I will admit that is quite nice. One thing California lacks is a nice queue. Most of it is, in fact, outside. Whether or not the ride's upgrades will be up to par remains to be seen.

I'd say it's mostly inside. Maybe 50/50 inside and out. At least it's all under cover!

BluewaterBrad
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd say it's mostly inside. Maybe 50/50 inside and out. At least it's all under cover!

The problem is that the merge point for Fastpass and Standby is prior to entering the building. Therefore if you're in Standby, 90% of your wait is spent outside.

JabberJaws
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah saw this earlier today. Looks great! I also heard that they are dividing the FP queue and the SB queue so that you aren't standing face to face w/ SB folks or rushing past them. Though rushing past the SB line always made me special :cool: I think it upset the SB folks a lot, particuarly the ones who didn't understand the FP process.

Looks like they have done some nice work to the loading area as well.

azcavalier
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Forget Space Mountain....what ride is that showing on the Disney Blog home page??? That's sure not Kali River Rapids.

azcavalier
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Obviously, I've never been to Disney's California Adventure. That's the Grizzly River Ride thingy, isn't it? It looks amazing.

darthmacho
11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks, can't wait to see it live next year! :mickey:

I wonder how extensive the interactive part is? It makes sense to have some entertainment in a queue that can get quite long. I wonder if the line gets even more backed up as parents jostle to get their kids to be able to use the buttons? I can see that being high maintenance. I bet half the buttons will be broken within a month.

Imagineer1981
11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
wow, very cool. I miss my old job!

Tigger10
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
:mad:Unfortunately, I just got home tonight from Disney. We stayed at POP for 10 days and had a blast. Fortunately for us, we got to ride SM during the soft opening. Here are a few pics I got from my Iphone. I would have taken more however, we were rushed and again, they were taken from an Iphone. Enjoy.

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz39/skeller10/

mousetrapper
11-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Awesome pictures! Thanks so much for posting. Doesn't look too much different from the old ride - whew!

So....how was the ride?!

We'll be at WDW later this week and have had our fingers crossed that SM will open on 11/21 as scheduled. I hope the fact they've had a soft opening means that will happen!

btw, how does a soft opening work? Is it randomly announced or is it scheduled and announced ahead of time, how do you find out about it, and is it only for special groups?

#1donaldfan
11-16-2009, 08:28 AM
...great pictures, I want to be there now....:mickey:

BigThunderFan
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
So is it true you can no longer see the ride while in line at all? That always seemed to me to help build the anticipation and I was really looking forward to my son seeing it for the first time in January.

Of course I'm sure he will still love it.

Insanity Clause
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
It looks pretty cool. I can't wait to go on this ride. My first visit in 2001 I couldn't go on it because I was 5 months pregnant and then is past April we got the the day after they closed for the renovations. I can't wait to actually ride this ride.

2Epcot
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
The problem is that the merge point for Fastpass and Standby is prior to entering the building. Therefore if you're in Standby, 90% of your wait is spent outside.

That is one of the only things I don't like about Space Mountain at Disneyland ...Too much of the wait is outside of the attraction if you're in the standby line.

As far as the WDW version ... Does everybody stop and play these games? Does it slow down the line? What if someone dosen't want to play? Can they go around people playing?

Tigger10
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
So is it true you can no longer see the ride while in line at all? That always seemed to me to help build the anticipation and I was really looking forward to my son seeing it for the first time in January.

Of course I'm sure he will still love it.

Unfortunately, you cannot see the ride no longer while your in the line. They actually enclosed the room and put Neon lighting around the ceiling along with 3D effect star field and space station. It's a really cool effect however, I really liked seeing the ride and hearing the people screaming and enjoying the rise.

MaxPower
11-17-2009, 02:26 PM
That is one of the only things I don't like about Space Mountain at Disneyland ...Too much of the wait is outside of the attraction if you're in the standby line.

As far as the WDW version ... Does everybody stop and play these games? Does it slow down the line? What if someone dosen't want to play? Can they go around people playing?

I'm curious too. People undoubtedly can't wait to touch those bright buttons. What exactly is the game that they play in line? I can see arguments starting over people trying to pass those who are playing.

Tigger10
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Awesome pictures! Thanks so much for posting. Doesn't look too much different from the old ride - whew!

So....how was the ride?!

We'll be at WDW later this week and have had our fingers crossed that SM will open on 11/21 as scheduled. I hope the fact they've had a soft opening means that will happen!

btw, how does a soft opening work? Is it randomly announced or is it scheduled and announced ahead of time, how do you find out about it, and is it only for special groups?

SM was great !!! On our last day as usual we decided to go to the MK and typically we go towards Pirates first however, something told me to go towards Buzz this time. As we were walking over to Buzz, I saw people waiting in line for SM so we made a bee line to SM. The SM CM told the that this is a soft opening and will only be open until 6. Apparently they only kept it open for 5 hours. So as usual we stayed for Wishes and hung out by SM to see if they were going to open it again and I asked one of the CM's if we were going to be lucky enough to get back on and he said not tonight. He told me that throughout the week, they will be opening SM for a few hours a day and on the 21'st is when it will be open completely.

The ride itself is no different however, it does seem like they cleaned up the tracks and made it a smoother ride. They do take your picture now which the part where they take your picture is pretty dumb. It's right before you make the incline for the hill just as your making that sharp turn. All in all , the Que area is very cool. All completely updated. You will definitely enjoy SM and wont be disappointed.

Have a GREAT time on your trip and I wish I was going back !!!:mickey: