PDA

View Full Version : NOT Impressed with BLT!!!

tinktude
11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
OK, I was totally looking forward to staying at BLT for the first few days of our vacation. We checked in on October 29th in the early evening. Not impressed with the customer service during the check-in process, I didn't get the nice "Welcome Home" like you usually do when you check-in at one of the DVC resorts.

Then we get to our room, and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the last people left. The beds were made, but there were clothes left in the drawers, crumbs and jelly left:ack: on the table, and two of the drawers in the kitchen were missing the fronts.

Called mousekeeping, and we stated that we would like the room to be cleaned the next day that the condition of the room was unacceptable. We then proceeded to get the kids ready for bed, and there were no blankets for the pull out beds. Called mousekeeping again and asked to speak with a manager, she stated that she would be up to our room within a few minutes.

When she arrived, she seemed guinely surprised about the broken drawers, and the dirty kitchen. She then stated that if we wanted blankets we would have to request them as BLT was a "green" resort, and did not provide them unless asked.

OK I get that but if we checked in a 2 bedroom with 9 people, don't you think there would be some extra blankets? Maybe I am just expecting too much??

Overall the view was really good, but the service was not so great. I really think that they need to have their own check-in process within BLT lobby, you lose some of the DVC specialness (is that a word?) when you have to check-in through the contemporary lobby.

MinnieMommie
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi - I am sorry about your experience but I had similar experiences at Beach Club. We had an incredibly dirty room on the 1st visit and just an ok clean one the 2nd visit there. Not good responses from mousekeeping, problems with bell services. I cleaned my own room each time.

We also have been to BC when DVC members had their own check in and when we had to check in at BC hotel. We much prefer the separate check in venue for members. It was a special touch and more of a welcome home feeling. I understand cost wise why they have discontinued the separate check in for members but it was a nice feature. I do have to say though that the concierge people were very helpful to us at BC but the welcome home piece was missing with the change in check in venue.

We are at our countdown for BLT. I am incredibly excited. In general I don't think workers are what they can be at all levels at most places. Part work ethic and changing times as well as other factors. Any advise for us? You said the views were nice. Where was your room and what was your view? :mickey:

DVC Mike
11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry you didn't enjoy BLT.

We had a fantastic time at BLT and will be back in just 24 days! We've been lucky to never experience problems like you unfortunately did.

mjaclyn
11-11-2009, 08:57 AM
We actually had a great time at BLT also (with the exception of the size of the Studio room)...We'll be back next September and I fully intend to contact the hotel directly to request a complete disinfecting of our rooms before we get there. DH became very sick with the flu two days before we were leaving and although I don't think the cleanliness of the room was to blame, it will make me feel much better if everything is completely disinfected.

lockedoutlogic
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM
The problems you described seem related to the luck of the draw out of the disney labor pool.....not really a reflection of the new structure or facilities....

that being said...i had a suspicion that more people would lodge complaints about this nice concrete monstrosity once it opened.

It doesn't look exceptionally well designed or decorated....kinda like the contemporary....and i'm sure disney had significant discussions during the design meetings that ended with this conclusion phrase:

"well...it's close to the castle....so that's good enough"

I will, however, wait and see myself....but my expectations are low for BLT...and rather high for Kidani

DizneyRox
11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I will, however, wait and see myself....but my expectations are low for BLT...and rather high for Kidani
While I really like Kidani, one thing that was very obvious is the significant difference in quality of materials and details between AKL and AKLV. Just compare the bus stop at AKL with the one at Kidani and it will be obvious what I'm talking about.

If this trend has carried over to BLT (which wouldn't surprise me) I won't be staying there. The Contemporary has never appealed to me in the least, and a cheap imitation appeals even less.

Now, given that disclaimer, Kidani is my favorite DVC resort right now. It will be gorgeous oce the landscaping grows in. Let's hope it hides some of the cheap.

lockedoutlogic
11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
While I really like Kidani, one thing that was very obvious is the significant difference in quality of materials and details between AKL and AKLV. Just compare the bus stop at AKL with the one at Kidani and it will be obvious what I'm talking about.

If this trend has carried over to BLT (which wouldn't surprise me) I won't be staying there. The Contemporary has never appealed to me in the least, and a cheap imitation appeals even less.

Now, given that disclaimer, Kidani is my favorite DVC resort right now. It will be gorgeous oce the landscaping grows in. Let's hope it hides some of the cheap.

this is disappointing news about Kidani....first i've heard of the perceived "quality" of the new Villas....

but, it makes sense that this would be the case too....

When Animal Kingdom Lodge was built, Eisner took alot of pride in the project. It was the first Disney resort built in the US for sometime (about 5 years), and Animal Kingdom was kinda his baby and had already come under fire for the falling attendance and perceived "rush" construction tha made it kinda empty....

The result is that AKL is and was fantastic....they had talks that it could be the highest price resort - knocking off the Grand - an indeed was priced as the second highest average room rate when it opened.

So no expenses were really spared....but the demand (which was very predictable - IMHO) has never really been there. they had to slash the standard room rates from near the top of the scale to equal with Wilderness at the bottom of the Deluxe chart....an still, it is probably the last deluxe to fill up.

But it doesn't surprise me that they would take the cheap route with the villas....it's gonna pretty much always be that way from now on...just look at the "elaborate" theming of Saratoga (that is to say....there ISN'T any) as a harbinger of things to come.

I don't know about Bay Lake....just from the promotional materials and video clips i've seen of it....it feels cheap by first impression

I fully expected them to cut corners and go with the "location, location, location" approach