PDA

View Full Version : should we upgrade?

dumbo_buddy
11-09-2009, 05:05 PM
dh and i are planning a trip to the world at the end of january. we almost always stay at a moderate (but love values too!) and are booked to stay at POFQ again. we are pretty good with spending while we are there. we bring oatmeal for breakfast and i make pb&j sandwiches for lunch.

this trip is much different. we'll be bringing our son who will be 7 months old. i know some people are saying we're totally nuts for bringing a baby. but, i need a vacation. he is SO high maintenance and has VERY bad reflux. i figure that i'm going to have a screaming baby then. might as well have a screaming baby at DISNEY!

yadda yadda yadda...my question is about upgrading...

should we upgrade to a monorail resort since we have the baby now? i believe it will cost us another $1000. is the convenience worth it?

i appreciate your thoughts! :mickey:

tiaramom
11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
No- you do not need to spend another $1,000
to enjoy your trip with a baby. I found Pop- resort better suited for our childs needs than some of the moderates- or even deluxe.
Its not a hassle at all with a baby-
oh....
all the parks have baby area-
MK is amazing- spend a lot of time there- changing- feeding- etc....
Best advice is to keep them hydrated-
Have a great trip-

Seasonscraps
11-09-2009, 08:38 PM
You are really the only one that can decide. If you can truly afford it, I think the convenience would be nice - my friend's DH refuses to go to Disney unless they stay on the monorail because of it's so much easier with young kids (they have 2 4 year old boys). But you will have a great time staying at POFQ too.

dumbo_buddy
11-10-2009, 05:45 AM
thanks!
christine - hi! we're practically neighbors :)

Seasonscraps
11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I didn't even realize that! Howdy Neighbor! :D

megustamex
11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I think your best upgrade is a car. At 7 months, you won't necessarily be visiting the MK only since the trip still be about what the adults want to do. So the monorail resort could offer you convenience but really only to MK since you still have kind of a long ride to Epcot, and you'd have to bus to the other parks. We love having a car with kids because once you have a meltdown you can be out of the parks fast, on your schedule - no waiting in line for transport (except MK!).
We took our kids at 1 month old each and kept on going from there. Disney is a great vacation with small babies. They can do everything with you, there are the fantastic baby stations for feedings/diapering/cleanups, and your baby won't be the only one crying in the nice restaurants!

DisneyBarb
11-10-2009, 11:33 AM
good for you taking a vacation.. My son also had very bad reflux and I know how stressful/tiring it is...

I guess it all depends on what parks you will frequent the most.. If you go to MK/Epcot then a deluxe on the MK side I think is worth it... you just push the stroller onto a monorail for either resort. You don't have to collapse it to get on the bus or try to get it up the stairs etc. If you rent a car and go to MK then you will still have to deal with a tram etc..

If you like Epcot the most, then pushing a stroller from the Boardwalk etc woudl be much easier and you can always get a monorail to the TTC to go to MK...

I may be a little biased as I'm a Poly lover but also like convenience.... No matter what, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!

JohnnyNovo
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
We stayed at the CR in Jan with our 10mo old son. The monorail makes it convient to get to the parks. We never had to take our son out of the stroller to get to the parks. He was more comfortable and we could give him food in the tray to and from the parks (in case he was crabby). It was more difficult when we went back a few months later and stayed at POFQ. The folding of the stroller and holding of our son on the bus was a slight challenge but dooable. POFQ is a great resort for buses. You are picked up first in the morning (before Riverside) giving you more room to get situated. Our son loved the the parks at that age and congrats for going. I would go either way but if you have the extra cash I would go Contemporary. It would just make some moments less stressful.

diz_girl
11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I've only ever stayed at Deluxe resorts, so I can't tell you if the extra money is worth it as compared to a Mod.

What I can say is that a monorail resort is really convenient, especially the Poly. I love the Poly and to me it is worth it. It's the location, the convenience, the food and the extras. At the Poly, you have access to both the MK and EPCOT monorails right there, since the TTC is next door. You don't even need to take your son out of his stroller. We skipped DHS because of the lack of rides for the little ones and you can't expect a baby to sit quietly through a show. If you do the same, then AK is the only park where you need to board a bus. It's wonderful watching Wishes from the Poly beach and since you are there in January and Wishes sometimes is shown early, your son will still be up for one or two showings.

There should be some good discounts at the end of January, but I think that you'll need to book soon. With the deep discounts and 4+3 offers that WDW is doing, now is the best time to stay at the Poly. Magical Journeys is the way to go. I'd recommend Tokelau, because of its central location and larger rooms.

JenniferS.
11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
It would be more convienent to stay at a monorail resort w/ a baby in my opinion. It is really a pain to drag a stroller onto the buses. It is horrible to have to wake up a sleeping baby in a stroller. With the monorail you can just stroll the baby right on and leave him in the stroller sleeping. If you stay at the Contemporary, you can walk to MK which we did several times especially at the end of the night when the monorail/buses were full. I think it will be money well spent.