PDA

View Full Version : AKL or WL with kids

BigThunderFan
11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
OK, with the buy 4 get 3 deal this may be our only opportunity to ever stay in a deluxe resort. We are currently booked at POP, but strongly considering upgrading. We are going with DS7 and DD3.

Which resort do you think would be best, AKL or Wilderness Lodge? Which view would you choose? We usually don't spend a TON of time in the room, but probably would spend a little more there with a nice view.

Thanks for any input!

vicster
11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I think either resort is great for kids. Considering your kids' ages you may spend more time at MK and there is a boat from WL to MK which is very convenient. We're big WL fans so hands down we would stay there. However, AKL has a zero depth pool and the savannah view is great. Tough decision to make...

Princess'Mom
11-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Personally - my family LOVES WL. We love the laid-back atmosphere there. The pool is super- my DD 7 could stay there all day. The boat ride to MK is a great way to start the day.

I wouldn't mind trying AKL, but I'm concerned the location. It seems so far away from the "action" to me. Don't get me wrong - we love AK. If WL wasn't available, we would probably go for AKL.

Either lodge - you are a winner!

jodijo
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
We love WL (however, we have never stayed at AKL). We are staying there for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. We started going there when the kids were 7 and 10. The last time we were there, they had craft activities for the kids in the afternoon, as well as pool games everyday. I hope they still do. By the way, the kids are now 12 and 14 and don't want to stay anywhere else. Good luck with your decision.

ThanxForNoticin
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
AKL is probably our favorite resort at Disney, and I would feel very confident saying I think your kids would love the animals and the resort. That being said, I have to agree with previous posters - assuming you will be spending more time at MK with your younger kids, then the location of WL is a big plus. The truth is, you don't have a bad choice - both are exceptionally nice. Have fun!

kakn7294
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I agree that you will have a great time at either resort. One thing to consider is what you are willing to spend for your view. Remember that at AKL, a savannah view is more than a pool view which is more than a standard view. At WL, a courtyard view is more than a woods view which is more than a standard view. Personally, we thought AKL was a great place to visit but we love staying at WL - it's more to our style.

diz_girl
11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I have only stayed at WL and that is what I would choose. As a pp mentioned, it is close to the MK and only a boat ride away. You are also a boat ride from the monorail at CR. Plus, your dining options really open up because you are so close to the monorail line, as you have easy access to the restaurants at the CR, Poly and GF. There is also FW and they have several activities for the kids, like the campfire sing-along, in addition to the dining choices there. At night, I love sitting in the lobby of the WL with a cup of tea or hot chocolate and enjoying the atmosphere.

mom2morgan
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
We'd stay at AKL - but largely because it is a little less expensive. I also don't care for the decor at WL because I come from a place where EVERYTHING looks like that, LOL

faline
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Both are excellent. You can't beat Wilderness Lodge's location and proximity to the Magic Kingdom - especially with children! But, you can't beat Animal Kingdom's view of animals and, if you have a Savannah view room, you get to see the animals right from your own balcony!

kemps@wdw
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
With the ages of the little ones, the WL may be the better choice w/it's proximity to the MK. It's just a short (fun) boat ride away. And the monorail is just as close. AK is wonderful, but just a little too far off the beaten path for us. (too much travel time). Both resorts are absolutely beautiful, but we prefer the laid-back, soothing, north woods atmosphere of the WL. :thumbsup:

BigThunderFan
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone! We upgraded today to the Wilderness Lodge! Of course it helped that the AKL pool will be closed during our stay, but we were leaning toward WL anyway simply based on everyone's responses here!

Now if I could just make the time go faster!!!:number1: