PDA

View Full Version : Close part of Magic Kingdom for Convention?

purplestarlisa
11-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I arrive at Disney on 11/15/09. Someone I work with says her friend is going to be there at the same time for a convention and that they are closing Fantasy Land for one day for the conventioneers.

Could this possibly be true? I want to avoid that park on that day if it is true. Will they publish this anywhere while we are there so we know when it is happening?

Thanks!

Lisa

Joannelet
11-08-2009, 08:15 AM
This doesn't even sound like something Disney would ever do.
However, they maybe are only doing this for after hours one night for the convention people. (I doubt this will be when the parks are open to general public).

clausjo
11-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I know that my company has done this with certain sections of Islands of Adventure at Universal, but I've not heard of it at Disney. When we were at Universal, it was only for a couple of hours and only certain rides. It was a couple of years ago, but I think it was around 7:30 at night and the part was only open until 9 or so.

1DisneyNut
11-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Usually when they have a special convention members only functions at magic kingdom, it is after the park closes to regular guests. Sort of like an Extra Magic Hours only for convention members. I have been to a couple of these in the fall and winter months and usually MK would close at 7:00 PM to regular guests and then would be open for convention members only for an additional 3 hours. You have to have your convention credentials on you to stay in the park and to ride the rides. I have never heard of them closing off just a section of the park like fantasy land.

phillydan
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I was in Orlando for a convention 3 years ago and they closed MGM (it was not yet called DHS) at 7:00pm and we had the entire park until 11:00pm. How weird was it to walk right into Fantasmic about 5 minutes before show time and get a seat front & center! The ampitheatre had maybe 4 sections filled.

On the other hand, if looks could kill, we would have all been history - there were many unhappy folks getting kicked out of the park as our convention busses pulled up out front. They actually took us around the back and we entered on the Streets of America, since the CMs were clearing the park from back to front.

The only thing that I saw on the park operating schedule that week was the closing time being listed as 7:00pm. There was not mention that the park was closing for a convention.

Not sure how they could possibly close just Fantasy Land for a convention - especially since the thrill rides are in other sections of the park. I don't see much appeal in Fantasy Land for adults that are there on business (meaning there with co-workers and without families).

Belle_0717
11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought the 15th was also a MVMCP night. I had never heard of them closing one section for anything. I'll be there and see what I can find out.

joonyer
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Here are the dates for Mickey's Christmas Party. MK will close at 7pm on these nights to all except party ticket holders.

November 10, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 29
December 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18

GrumpyFan
11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I was speaking to a CM a few years ago who worked as a lead for special events. According to him, Disney will rent any part of the parks or attractions you want, for the right price. At the time, he was getting ready for an evening wedding that was going to be on the lawn to the side of the castle. I've heard of many private events where rides/attractions, mostly at DHS, were rented like Great Movie Ride, Rock N' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror and Toy Story Mania. Quite often, though, all of DHS is rented out for an evening.

So, it's entirely possible for Fantasyland or anywhere else to be closed, but they will usually try and schedule these kinds of events for the evening, maybe closing a little early so as not to interfere too much with the regular guests.