PDA

View Full Version : 08 Accord purchase

CAS
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't think I've ever posted in this section. :mickey:

Looked and looked and found an 08 Accord EX-L for a decent price. There were others selling for $17k but from shady dealers. Got this one certified from Honda dealership with 29k miles for $18,500.

Hopefull I came out with a decent price. Any opinions? Thanks!:mickey:

BMan62
11-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I would definitely punch the VIN into CarFax to find out if anything major was done to the vehicle. 29K seems, although not extremely high, above average for mileage on a vehicle less than 2 years old.

Kelley Blue Book value (Suggested Resale Price) is $22,320, so the price you paid seems like a good deal.

1DisneyNut
11-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Not sure what part of Nebraska you are from but in lower population rural areas 29k is actually fairly low miles for a 2 year old vehicle. There is a huge difference between city and rural vehicles. Rural are usually moving when they are running and vehicles from large population centers are sitting idling in traffic for significant amounts of time. This is why now many vehicles also have an hour meter which you can access by holding down the trip reset button for the odometer for several seconds while the vehicle is turned off (some have to be turned on but seems like most off). The hours are what are really important but it is not widely recognized. If it has an hour meter you can get the hours and divide it into the mileage and it will give you average miles per hour. If that number is extremely low, you know the vehicle has been sitting still idling a lot so it will actually have more wear and tear on the engine components than other vehicles. With 29k, I doubt it has sat still much though. lol The significance of the high mileage however is that it suggests that it may have been owned by a large company such as a rental car agency or a program car for executives. Some of these companies are notorious for not servicing their vehicles so that is where you want to know the vehicles history.
This is where a carfax report is useful and I would also definitely recommend getting a carfax report. They are very informative and a great tool for helping judge the background of a vehicle before purchase. With all of that said, you can't hardly go wrong with a Honda. Regardless of what it is, a car, a lawnmower, a generator, a motor cycle, an atv...etc.. if it has the Honda name on it, it is one of the best and most reliable money can buy.

laprana
11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I come from a family of Honda owners and we've all been really happy with our cars! I have an '07 Civic that (knock on wood) has been fantastic so far. Before that, I had an '02 Civic that also was great - no major problems at all and it had over 100,000 miles when I traded it in.

My dad had an Accord in the 1990s that he sold to a friend with 150,000 miles on it. His friend drove it for about 5 or 6 more years and when he finally sold it himself, it had more than 300,000 miles on it. The only thing it ever went into the shop for (other than routine maintenance) was a new timing belt.

My sister has had 2 Accords (she has an '09 now) and my stepmom is on her 4th Accord. Neither of them has had any major problems with any of their accords!

I think you made a great choice! :thumbsup: :D