PDA

View Full Version : Ride Review - Stitch's Great Escape

Red Randal
11-07-2009, 01:21 PM
WDWorld Traveler Ride Review – Stitch’s Great Escape

Intro: Opened in Tomorrowland in 2004, “Stitch’s Great Escape” replaced the “ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter”…one of the all time unique attractions in all of Walt Disney World. The ride elements remained essentially the same only with a Stitch overlay to make them more cute than scary. And by “cute” I mean “unspeakably annoying.”

Pre-Pre-Show: Yeah, they actually thought this ride was going to be popular enough to warrant multiple pre-shows. Anyway, this is more of a holding pen where a few TV’s play information meshing the ride’s loose “Lilo & Stitch” backstory with the “Tomorrowland” story.

Pre-Show: We’re brought into a room where the “Principal Teleportation Officer” teaches us about “Level 1” prisoners (since we’re not yet equipped to handle Level 2’s.). There is Skippy, the doomed alien creature from the original Alien Encounter. We’re interrupted by a donut thief who is teleported into jail. If you think this is stupid to read, trust me, it’s no better to experience. Suddenly an alert is issued because of a Level 3 (!!) prisoner being transferred into the facility.

Show: We enter the “High Security Teleportation” room. A large tube in the center of the room lights up and is filled with smoke and then suddenly Stitch teleports in. He is, I should note, roughly 3 times the size he was in the movie. Of course, this is a world where cartoon mice are 6 feet tall so I guess I shouldn’t nitpick QUITE this much.

Anyway, Stitch looks around and makes goofy noises before deciding to spit on some guests. Then he manages to cause the power to go out in the room. So he hops around on people and at one point steals a guy’s chili dog and burps into the guests faces, unleashing one of the most repugnant odors this side of the bathrooms outside La Pirata y el Perico.

The Galactic officers restore the power and Stitch is nowhere to be found. He knocks the power out and causes some more hijacks before finally getting trapped in the teleportation chamber again. He somehow ends up getting transported to Disney World. An animated Cinderella Castle appears on screen with an animated Stitch knocking on a window. He’s greeted by an animated Cinderella. The Galactic Federation guys are flabbergasted and send the recruits home.

Thoughts: I don’t know how many different ways there are to say that this ride is terrible.

First of all, the story makes no sense. If we’re really recruits to be SECURITY officers, why would they bring us into a huge briefing room and STRAP US INTO SEATS?? Wouldn’t they want us to be able to assist in capturing this big threat to security? Then there’s the mixture of animation with audio animatronics. I don’t mind it if it’s done in a way that sort of makes sense, like at Cranium Command. But here it just comes off as hokey and cheap. The real Cinderella Castle is RIGHT THERE. Lame, lame, lame!

More over, this ride is not thrilling, it’s barely funny, and it replaced one of the most original attractions they’ve ever had. If you think I’m over reacting and that the makeover was necessary just remember that Alien Encounter was a headliner and this plays to empty crowds.

Worst ride at Walt Disney World.

Overall Rating: -**

Disney4us2
11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
We went on this attraction on our first trip since Disneyland does not have this (thank goodness). We skipped it on our second visit and will on all future visits. I didn't think it was worth the time we waited.

Lakin
11-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Stitch is a great character, and this ride does not level up to what is expected of a Disney ride.

GrmGrninGost
11-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Not good. Not terrible. Just so-so.

Zawadi
11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
IMHO - A very cheap revamp of Alien Encounter which was much better and scary. However, AE was probably not suited to the child friendly atmosphere of MK

thrillme
11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I thought AE was a lot more exciting than Stitch. I really didn't even figure out what was going on for the longest time.

There should be a little something for everyone at Disney...not just "little" kids. There are PLENTY of rides and entertainment that's not that scary. The guy I sat next too when we went to this...we both looked at each other and simutaneously said...AE was MUCH better.

Phantod
11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I almost entered the queue by mistake this past September. Fortunately, my DW called to my attention where i was heading. I screamed all of the way out of there.

Does that give you an idea what I think about it?

Bring back Alien Encounter which was just awesome.

beksy
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I was looking forward to trying this ride but was really disappointed in it. I never rode AE so I can't compare it to that, but this ride made my physically ill. :sick: I'm sensitive to smells and they really got to me on this one. It's actually the only ride I've ever gotten ill after riding. The shoulder bars hurt my sister's shoulders (again the only ride this has happened on. I had read enough to be prepared for this part). To top it off we really just didn't "get" the ride. We will always skip this one in the future.

ChipNDale79
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
IMO its the worst ride at disney and i would go father and say the worst ride in disney history.

Its a complete waste of space and time.

Stu29573
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I went on this ride last June for the first- and probably last- time. I was ready to give it a fair shot, since I like Stitch ok, and I never got to go on AE. I hated it. My wife hated it. It made no sense, the effects were so-so, and the experience was overall very poor. I used to hold Sounds Dangerous up as the worst of the worst at Disney, but I think it may be a tie....
Bring back Mission to Mars. Even it was better than this junk...

Giggy
11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I liked this ride, though I do also have sentimental reasons for liking it.

It was the last day of our 2004 holiday, we had to leave soon for the airport to return to the UK. Stitch's Great Escape had not opened officially though they were doing trial runs, mostly with cast members. A cast member heard that we had to leave soon and said we could come and try it out.

I actually enjoyed it and given it's the last WDW ride i've been on I kinda feel like I should be standing up for it. :mickey:

mom2morgan
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I had no idea I was claustrophobic - but I found that out pretty dang fast strapped into those seats in the dark! Add to that the fact that my 10 year old got freaked out and I had NO way to get to her or comfort her with more than a hand on her knee. I felt helpless and trapped. I understand AE was much scarier...but we might have avoided it. Since this was STITCH we thought it would be okay. Again - the "scary" aspect of it probably wouldn't have been an issue if it wasn't for the awful shoulder restraints! She also got scared on Haunted Mansion (she can ride the big coasters, but apparently "creepy in the dark" scares her) but I was able to put an arm around her shoulder and make her feel safe.

Red Randal
11-09-2009, 01:15 AM
I used to hold Sounds Dangerous up as the worst of the worst at Disney, but I think it may be a tie....

Sounds Dangerous has a bad rep. Don't get me wrong, it's not good...but I'm willing to bet if we put our minds to it we could come up with at least five rides that are worse.

Dragongirlx
11-09-2009, 05:31 AM
I realise I am in the minority here but I love this ride. I love when Stitch ruffles your hair and asks will you be my friend. I don't even mind the burp

stitchaholic
11-09-2009, 06:52 AM
i'm with you dragon girl, i just love seeing my favorite guy all big and animated !

SurferStitch
11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm with DragonGirlx and stitchaholic. DH and I love SGE. We also don't mind the burp at all!

It could be better (there are others that could be, too), but it's still a great attraction, and lots of fun. We do SGE every time we set foot in MK, which is quite a few times during a vacation at WDW!!

In fact, we'll be seeing Stitch again in just 23 days!!! :stitch2:

Loweschevy
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Nothing too special, but worth at least one visit. The lines have calmed down, mostly 5 minute wait from what I could see in October.

It is time that Stitch hits the dusty trail and we get a new show

coneygoil
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I was looking forward to trying this ride but was really disappointed in it. I never rode AE so I can't compare it to that, but this ride made my physically ill. :sick:

Glad I'm not the only one! It make my stomach so sick and it didn't go away for almost the whole day. I swore never to go see that ride again!

azcavalier
11-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I know that most of you just look at the ride for it's "entertainment value", and since you ARE paying to be entertained...

But I enjoy SGE. I do really like Stitch, though, which helps. I don't care for the chili dog burp to the face, but I just hold my breath and then blow the scent away when everyone else says "Eeeeewwww!" No problems.

I, however, love it for it's complexity. And it IS very technically complex. I believe that it's actually the most complex Audio-Animatronic figure that Disney has created to date. If you watch Stitch move along with the synchronization of the DNA cannons, it's pretty impressive stuff.

Imagineer1981
11-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I've posted this opinion about a thousand times, if you NEVER rode Alien Encounter, you would think Stitch is average-good. If you rode Alien Encounter, your views are biased and you probably aren't giving it a fair shot

Stu29573
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I've posted this opinion about a thousand times, if you NEVER rode Alien Encounter, you would think Stitch is average-good. If you rode Alien Encounter, your views are biased and you probably aren't giving it a fair shot

Nope. I never rode AE and I was really trying to give Stitch a chance...really!!! I just flat out thought it was bad...

ChipNDale79
11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

I disagree, one of the major reasons i dont like this ride is because it feels cheap and the story is kinda lame. Its not very "disney", meaning disney has proven time after time how to make their rides far and above other theme parks. This ride seems to me like a ride at your local theme park, not at a disney park.

darthmacho
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I have never been to this attraction, because Alien Encounter was still there the last time I was there in 2003. Thank goodness I got to see it one last time.

I agree with those that say Stitch is a great character, but it sounds like the attraction doesn't live up to his potential. I agree also, that the storyline doesn't seem to make much sense, but I imagine that the problem lies with the fact that they were trying to save money by using the already existing attraction, rather than doing a total teardown and rebuild.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the first poster, that AE was one of the few original WDW attractions. I especially enjoyed the pre-show of AE. How many attractions can you say that about? I'll miss it. :(

ILoveLegos
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I like animatronic stitch - I'm speaking from the from the engineering aspect of him. He moves very smoothly without the jerky movement of the orginal animatronics of WDW. I also like the dual cannons tracking Stitch, they remind me of assembly line robotics which happen to be in my field of interest (in my line of work). I appreciated the way this "escape" referenced back to the way Stitch escaped in the begining of the Lilo & Stitch movie. I really liked the original movie, its primary & secondary soundtracks, I like the attraction and I just plain like the character of Stitch.

BTW - I loved Alien Encounter.

Too bad they can't alternate show versions between "tame" Stitch and the ferrocious Alien - that way there would be something for everyone!

HoosierDisneyFan
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I HATED Alien Encounter mainly because I was trapped in a room with crying / screaming kids with no way to escape (or be helped by parents). If there would have been a warning not to take pre-teens into the ride, I might have been able to enjoyed it.

Because of my feelings for Alien Encounter, I have never been since the Stitch version. I should probably give it another chance.

cmshelton1979
11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldnt say this is a great ride, nor a horrible ride. I don't really see why everyone bashes this ride as much as they do.

It is not the best, but its far from the worst at Disney World (all though I am not sure what classifies as horrible at DW, I am happy to be there even if it means I am riding Dumbo in the rain).

I will ride this ride if time permits, I try to hit everything while I am at DW since I am usually at MK for 2 or 3 days. I do not make it a priority like I do on other rides. I would say that I give this a 3 out of 5.

CU Tiger
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
It is amazes me that DW keeps this ride going. I have never talked with or seen anyone write much positive stuff about this ride/show. DW should scrap it and start from scratch.:mickey:

bruin1344
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
in my opinion, "Nothing too spectacular. Not bad, but not especially good either." The only time i would go on the ride if there isnt more than 5 minute wait. Alien Encounter was better.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Alien Encounter WAS a good ride, but at the same time, how scary it was was incredibly downplayed by the cast. I went on it at 11 years old and was crying hysterically throughout it.

NJGIRL
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
This isn't a favorite by far and I will go as far to say that they could have made it better but I don't think it's terrible. We will do it maybe every other trip.

I had been on AE many times and while I think it was better the Stitch attraction is not that much different.

Laughin' place
11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, this was even more polarizing than I expected. Sure, there were lots and lots of "haters", but some 42% rated it good-ish or better.
I really liked Alien Encounter, both for its quality and the fact that it was so different than anything else Disney did. I was sorry to see it go, and that only one of my sons got to enjoy it with me.
I do like Stitch, and I think he could be featured in a solid, D ticket type attraction. This isnt it. But I still visit once a trip, if for no other reason than its a short wait, cold and dark inside, and I do like seeing Stitch and some of the other characters

Iluvpooh
11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I did this once a few years ago. I haven't done it again. Just plain bad. I try and tell people not to worry about seeing it, yet they do anyway and then tell me I was right.
BTW-Off topic everyone does what I tell them not to, but not one person has gone to see Fantasmic after I tell them it is a must do?!

Mysttree
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I agree completely.
We (DH & I) really *loved* AE. That being said- it was too intense for small children. We warned a couple of parents when we saw them taking toddler aged kids in--they ignored us & of course we heard kids screaming bloody murder during the show!! Some parents are really dense!
However- we are disgusted with SE, it could have been much better--but isn't.
'nuff said.

Lakin
11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Nope. I never rode AE and I was really trying to give Stitch a chance...really!!! I just flat out thought it was bad...

Same here!

Sylvia
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
This attraction (not ride) is corny, I agree. But, I like Stitch and, although this may not be the best attraction I've ever seen, I think it's fun. The "special effects" are amazing. I'll keep visiting this attraction as long as it's available.

Last visit - Sep 09. Next visit - May 10

2Epcot
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM

I guess that would be the same if someone has only had a used car with lots of miles on it about to fall apart, but it's good transportation, they are probably happy with it ... Those who have had a brand new car then are given a clunker I guess would be biased.

I think the poll numbers speak for themselves, close to 80% rate it below average or an abomination. I don't think even the government would take cash for the Stitch clunker.

DizneyRox
11-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I voted:

Negative Stars: Offensive to me as a tourist, Disney fan, and human being in general.

And that I think is being generous.

Yes, I rode AE, and I don't think it was the cat's meow either. SGE is/was a quick/cheap fix to an attraction to try and capitolize on the Stitch character. I really like the character (wearing a Stitch t-shirt right now), but the attraction is a joke.

Ms. Mode
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
When we went on Stitch we thought it had broken down because it was such a nothing ride :)

minniefan
11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I didn't really care for AE, and I was hoping this would be better.

This ride is so bad, it made me hate Stitch completely. The story makes no sense. The effects are hokey. It is totally not up to Disney standards.

BTW, I love Sounds Dangerous. The sound booths in AK in Conservation Station are better though. No one ever mentions Rafiki's Planet Watch, but it's quite enjoyable.

I can't figure out why Disney is pushing Stitch so hard. He's everywhere. But just try to find a Donald Duck hoodie and you're out of luck.

What's up with that?

lightyearfan
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
well first off this isn't a ride it's a show, and maybe i'm in the minority here, but me and dw like it, we don't love it or think that it's the best thing going , but it is a good show, AE was also a very good show, but if you were like me and back in the day when the lines wrapped around the attraction, the show(AE) wasn't worth the wait time. i'm probably going to get grilled for my opionion, but this is how i feel :mickey:

Victor

Red Randal
11-13-2009, 12:30 AM
A couple of notes as I've been reading through the comments...

1. Alien Encounter was close to a ***** attraction before it closed but I admit that it was probably too intense for the Magic Kingdom. The problem with the makeover isn't that they did it, it was in a fundamental misunderstanding of what made AE frightening. The ride is so scary because it's in the dark and has those restrictive harnesses for the speakers. Stitch keeps both of those elements, only instead of snarling and killing people the alien burps and spits. It's still frightening to children and now, because it has the silly toilet humor instead of the intense original alien, it's no longer interesting to adults. The show is bad but that's not why it's unsuccessful. It's unsuccessful because it appeals to pretty much no one.

2. I'm reasonably certain this is the first time I've posted a poll where the ride did not garner a single ***** vote (as of right now.)

3. I only call it a "ride review" because I think "attraction review" is kind of a long and clunky name (and is confusing for people unfamiliar with Disney, so it's tough for me because I post these reviews on some other sites too.) I don't like to change the name of each individual post to "ride review," "show review," etc. for more of a branding reason. Just thought I'd clear that up.

wire0monkey
11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I thought this was mildly amusing, but I miss Alien Encounter a lot. I loved AE.

My 6 year old son and 4 year old son thought SGE was hilarious. They loved it! Burps and spitting are pretty fun to a couple of small boys.

Babyvett
11-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I hated it.. Dh says its not bad, but not that great.. I personally thought the smell from the "burp" was the most retched smell I have ever come in contact with and I cringe remembering it.. it was disgusting.

I rode AE and I liked it alot more..