PDA

View Full Version : DD has H1N1 for the second time.

Marilyn Michetti
11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
My DD, Beth is an ICU nurse, and has been hit with H1N1 for the second time. Infectious disease sent her home yesterday. All of the nurse's were given the vaccine last week, but it evidently didn't work. This is a nasty thing, and people are dying. Right now, there's not much she can do except to support the symptoms. I don't dare go down to her house, because I can't risk bringing this home to my elderly mom who has end stage renal disease.

sportsguy2315
11-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Some :pixie: for your family right now Marilyn.

SBETigg
11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Oh, Marilyn, how awful for her, and for you. You must be so worried. Prayers and healing thoughts your daughter's way, and a :hug: for you.

faline
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm sure this is very scary for you. I certainly hope your daughter recovers well from this repeat bout! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

You and your daughter will remain in my thoughts!

Mousefever
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Is the thought that she will recover more quickly, already having had the virus? I hope she is feeling better very soon!

Amy

Dsnygirl
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Marilyn, that is so scary... I hope she gets better quickly. They're just starting to give the vaccine here. I hope she recovers quickly -- sending some :pixie: her way!!

Joannelet
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
oh geez, the vaccine is supposed to take 2 weeks to become effective. I think that its crazy that she already had h1n1 and got it again :(
I hope she recovers quickly.

crazypoohbear
11-05-2009, 09:48 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:to your daughter and to your mother.
the flu is just awful this season.
I hope your mother is comfortable and that you all keep well.

magicofdisney
11-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could get it more than once. My neighbor's daughter had this and her pediatrician said she now did not need the vaccine.

Tell me, are the symptoms less severe the second time around, worse, or about the same? I ask because my kids have all had it and I thought we were in the clear.

I hope she recovers quickly and feels better soon.

mrsgaribaldi
11-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Sorry to hear it that. Loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way.

kakn7294
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Marilyn! I have heard that the experts think that once you have it, you build up an immunity to it but it sounds as if she certainly didn't. :pixie: for a quick and uneventful recovery and some immunity to it this time around!

Marilyn Michetti
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I think she just never got over the first one. The hospital needs their nurses, and kind of rushed her.:ill:

beksy
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, your family is really going through it. I'm so sorry about your daughter and your mother. I'm also sorry for you. This has to be stressful (either one would be but having both to deal with is awful) and I'm sure it's hard not being able to be near your daughter when she's sick. Sending :pixie::pixie: your way and keeping your family in my prayers.

azdisneymom
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Here is some pixie dust for a speedy and complete recovery. :pixie::pixie:

Tinkermom
11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter! I hope she feels better soon! Here is some healing :pixie: !

While I know that typically you build up an immunity to a virus once you have been sick with it the media has reported that you can get H1N1 again. I am not really clear on how unless it is a slighty mutated strain. My DD 8 had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago and I wondered if she should get the vaccine should it become available for her. There is just so much conflicting info out there so I e-mailed the CDC for clarification. I wrote:

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with H1N1 this past week based only on her symptoms. We did not have a flu test. She is doing much better and all in all weathered it rather well. I have heard that people can get H1N1 again. Is this true? If so should we have our daughter vaccinated for H1N1?

Here is the reply I received from the CDC:

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. In response to your request for information on swine flu and vaccination, we can provide you with the following information

You are unlikely to get infected with the same exact strain of influenza (flu) more than once. Most people with flu-like illness since spring 2009 don't know whether they were infected with 2009 H1N1 or another flu virus strain. If you think you had 2009 H1N1 infection, ask your doctor if you should be vaccinated. The only sure way to diagnose 2009 H1N1 infection is with real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

Even if you had a confirmed case of 2009 H1N1 flu, you can still get infected with other flu strains. You should make sure you get the seasonal flu vaccine. If you had a flu-like illness since spring 2009 that wasn't diagnosed as 2009 H1N1 flu by RT-PCR, get the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines.

If you have had 2009 H1N1 flu, as confirmed by an RT-PCR test, you should have some immunity against 2009 H1N1 flu and can choose not to get the 2009 H1N1 vaccine. However, vaccination of a person with some existing immunity to the 2009 H1N1 virus will not be harmful.

I then talked with our doctor who said that YES our DD should be vaccinated for H1N1 (again if and when available) even though she already had the virus.

So confusing!!:confused:

RedSoxFan
11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Marilyn: Sorry to hear about your daughter and your mother. :pixie::pixie::pixie: for all of you.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I didn't think you could get it more than once either! That's very disturbing to hear.

I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery and gets over it fully this time!

ElenitaB
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Marilyn, so sorry to hear this. Stressful all around.

Prayers and :pixie: to all the generations of your family. :hug: