PDA

View Full Version : Happy 40th Sesame Street!

Mickey'sGirl
11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Aside from being the year in which I was born, 1969 also saw the arrival of Jim Henson and his incredible creature shop on public television. The rest, they say, is history!

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

Joannelet
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SESAME STREET!!!! :party:

Melanie
11-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Aside from being the year in which I was born, 1969 also saw the arrival of Jim Henson and his incredible creature shop on public television. The rest, they say, is history!

Me too Jennifer! Can't think of much better to share my 40th with. Happy Birthday, Sesame Street!!! :thumbsup:

diz_girl
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a feeling that the theme song will be running through my head all day. Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

Ian
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Me too Jennifer! Can't think of much better to share my 40th with. Happy Birthday, Sesame Street!!! :thumbsup:Me three!

I was born exactly 120 days before Sesame Street first aired and I watched it religiously, practically every day, for the next 8 or 9 years. I grew up with those guys and, even though I can't say I like the show for my own kids today, I did love it completely and totally as a child.

In fact, on my office bookshelf standing among my bobbleheads and other memoribilia stands this guy:

ILoveLegos
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I used to love Sesame Street when I was a small kid. Then I grew up, eventually, my sibblings had kids and I caught a few episodes with them along the years.

Nowadays it's sooo Elmo. I don't like him very much at all. His command of the English language is really bad, I don't think I have ever heard him use "I", "me" or "my" pronouns - A typical sentence is, "Elmo loves painting." - ugh! Shouldn't he be an example of how to speak instead of a demonstration of how not to speak? The last 15 minutes w/ Elmo's World is mostly unwatchable for me, except the "Mr. Noodle" guy is classic vaudaville and it's cool to see this type of slapstick on T.V. again ( I'm a big fan of Laurel & Hardy, About & Lou Costillo and The three Stooges - but that's another story)!

My nieces & nephews didn't know the old format of the show, so they liked it a lot. However Playhouse Disney & Nickelodeon's preschool programming captures their attention more fully. My sister thinks that it is just hard to watch Sesame Street presently because it is just a shadow of it's former show content when there were lots of cool "in jokes", celebrities and humor for children & parents too.

There is a bright light for the nostalgic though: there is a DVD set and CD that captures the essence of Sesame of decades past. There is a part of me that loves hearing those moments playing on the car cd & DVD player on our car trips together enroute to Disney World and beyond.

Lady Bug Picnic, King of Eights, Pinball Counting, Lowercase N, Tweedle bugs, Somebody Come & Play, Sing a Song, C is for Cookie, Rubber Duckie, Willamena and The People in Your Neighborhood. I could go on - but you get the idea! :thumbsup:

Nascfan
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
"Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street!"

Happy Birthday Street! :cake:

ChipnDaleGal
11-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I have such a soft spot for Sesame Street. My daughter's first love was Ernie. She took her Ernie doll every where with her. Makes me smile and tear up thinking about those days now. Thanks for the memories Sesame Street and Happy 40th!!

Mickey'sGirl
11-06-2009, 08:17 AM
I have such a soft spot for Sesame Street. My daughter's first love was Ernie. She took her Ernie doll every where with her. Makes me smile and tear up thinking about those days now. Thanks for the memories Sesame Street and Happy 40th!!
Ernie was also my niece's favourite. She carried hers everywhere too!

SBETigg
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I was born just a little before Sesame Street started, too, so I'm one of the generation that has always had a Sesame Street. My kids are too old for it now, but sometimes my daughter and I will tune in together anyway, like connecting with old friends.

Ian
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
My sister thinks that it is just hard to watch Sesame Street presently because it is just a shadow of it's former show content when there were lots of cool "in jokes", celebrities and humor for children & parents too.I agree with your sister. It used to be so awesome back in the day and it drew just so many amazing guests.

There is a bright light for the nostalgic though: there is a DVD set and CD that captures the essence of Sesame of decades past. There is a part of me that loves hearing those moments playing on the car cd & DVD player on our car trips together enroute to Disney World and beyond.

Lady Bug Picnic, King of Eights, Pinball Counting, Lowercase N, Tweedle bugs, Somebody Come & Play, Sing a Song, C is for Cookie, Rubber Duckie, Willamena and The People in Your Neighborhood. I could go on - but you get the idea! :thumbsup:I know I have to get that at some point.

Don't forget the Alligator King and We All Live in a Capital I ... those are two of my favorites. Not to mention Ten Tiny Turtles on the Telephone!

I have such a soft spot for Sesame Street. My daughter's first love was Ernie. She took her Ernie doll every where with her. Makes me smile and tear up thinking about those days now. Thanks for the memories Sesame Street and Happy 40th!!Yeah, Ernie was always my favorite, too. In fact, I had an Ernie similar to the Bert in the picture but he got lost over the years.

ILoveLegos
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Don't forget the Alligator King and We All Live in a Capital I ... those are two of my favorites. Not to mention Ten Tiny Turtles on the Telephone!

Yup, definitely favorites too!
My favorite quote from the Alligator King:
"Daddy, it appears to me, that you could use a little help."
:D

Ian
11-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Yup, definitely favorites too!
My favorite quote from the Alligator King:
"Daddy, it appears to me, that you could use a little help."
:DSaid the Alligator King to his seventh son, "My son you win the crown! You didn't bring me diamonds or rubies, but you helped me up when I was down. Take my crown it's yours my son, I hope you don't mind the dents. I got it on sale at a discount store cost me all of seven cents!"

Scar
11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Count me in on the Seasame Street generation. Although I would have sworn it started earlier. I was 4 when it started and can't remember ever not watching it. Maybe I have no memories before that. :confused:

And believe it or not, I was actually on Sesame Street, kind of. One day a cameraman came to our school and filmed us during recess. It was shown somewhat often as a quick "filler" between scenes. I was only a blur for a second or two but a couple of my freinds were pretty well represented in it.

PirateLover
11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm about to turn 24 and I think I was the last generation to enjoy Sesame Street prior to the Elmo craze. I think I was in 7th grade when Tickle Me Elmo came out. As a kid I had so much Sesame Street stuff- VHS tapes, playsets. When I was born my brother was 4, the perfect age for the show, so he always had it on. One of my first words was "Groser" (Trying to say Grover).
I watched it every morning before school probably until about 4th grade or so. Then I told my mom that I was too old for it. I think I broke her heart that day- she loved more than I did I think! Of course I'm so nostalgic for these things now... I own all of the "Old School" DVDs, and Christmas just ain't Christmas without watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street!

I am always pulling up old clips on youtube. Ernie and Bert are still hilarious. Many of the skits really stand up to the test of time, and the songs are so infectious. I really credit the use of music on Sesame Street with helping me develop my love of singing... remember, "Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, just sing- sing a song!"

Ian
11-06-2009, 04:44 PM
"Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, just sing- sing a song!"Yeah ummm ... I heard that, as well.

Much to the chagrin of those around me with ears. :blush:

ILoveLegos
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Said the Alligator King to his seventh son, "My son you win the crown! You didn't bring me diamonds or rubies, but you helped me up when I was down. Take my crown it's yours my son, I hope you don't mind the dents. I got it on sale at a discount store cost me all of seven cents!"

:D

SBETigg
11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
The one that always freaked me out was Bumble Ardy's birthday 9, with swine, which I recently discovered was a Maurice Sendak cartoon. And this year, we lost the number painter, who was also on The Jefferson's (but I always think of him painting numbers on Sesame Street), actor Paul Benedict. I also adored the King of Eight animated short, with the eight princesses.

DakotaDisney
11-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Sesame Street is still a great show for children and parents.

Not many shows have been on TV for that long and also have the history, cultural impact, educational impact, worldwide impact, and entertainment for all age impact as Sesame Street.

I grew up with Sesame Street when it started. And yes it has changed somewhat throughout the years, but that is a part of what makes the show effective. When it started it used the styles of the time to teach young kids and so thoughout the years they have changed and adapted to culture to continue to teach.

I hope it keeps going for many years!!

DisneyDog
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Count me in as one who was born the same year as Sesame Street. I loved, loved, loved that show as a kid. I always looked forward to sharing it with my child some day. But, kids have so many other options now, and my DS was never really interested in watching it.

I'm also not a huge fan of Elmo. He has taken over a large percentage of the show. I used to love Kevin Clash when he did the voice of Baby on Dinosaurs ("Not the Mamma!"). But now I just find that voice annoying.