PDA

View Full Version : Not really into character meals...

SignguyTom
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
...but don't want to avoid the character reataurants just because of it. Is there a way to politely request the characters NOT come to our table? Just curious. I know lots of people really enjoy the interaction with the characters, but we'd rather just see them from a distance when we're eating. Any suggestions??

Strmchsr
11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Just tell the host or hostess when you are seated. It's not that uncommon a request since some folks have young children who are frightened of the characters.

Polynesian Dweller
11-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Strmchsr's advice is good and can work but from experience it's not foolproof. You can also signal them away as they approach but that also doesn't always work. Be prepared for interaction.

If someone has a foolproof method please post for those who enjoy watching rather than participating.

SBETigg
11-04-2009, 08:35 PM
My foolproof method is to eat elsewhere. The highlight of the character meal venues are the characters, not the food. For good food, there are so many better experiences to choose from (not that the character meals are bad, but definitely avoidable if characters are not for you).

But if you really want to eat at a character meal restaurant and avoid characters, tell them when you check in, wave characters away if they approach, and when all else fails, simply tell them, "I'm sorry, we're not into character interaction, but thank you." They will heed your wishes, but yes, you might be approached.

Pirate Granny
11-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I agree with the last poster...unless it's the Princess meal in Norway, or O'Hana's for breakfast most of the food is so/so...with that said we do go to character meals if it works with our schedule and just wave to the characters as they approach the table and just shake our heads and they will move on to the next table...
:pirate:

darthmacho
11-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree with those that say to avoid the character meals if you don't prefer character interaction. Most are buffets with standard (not bad, just standard) grub anyway.

On the bright side there are TONS of park and resort restaurants to choose from that don't have characters! :mickey:

I don't know what you've tried yet, but I recommend Boma, Artist Point, and Maya Grill at the resorts. The Contemporary and Swan and Dolphin should have more choices too.

In the parks, it's hard to go wrong with World Showcase.

LibertyTreeGal
11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
yeah, I really can't think of one that I would go to without kids who really wanted to see characters. Better food and atmosphere to be had elsewhere without screaming kiddos.

SignguyTom
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the tips. We are wanting to try all the restaurants WDW has to offer. In 3 previous trips, we have only doubled up on a couple restaurants. We don't hate the characters, just prefer to dine uninterupted. No biggie, though. I didn't know if there was an easy way to 'opt out' or not. I think we'll just make the most of it, get some pics and enjoy the moment.

:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
My foolproof method is to eat elsewhere. The highlight of the character meal venues are the characters, not the food. For good food, there are so many better experiences to choose from (not that the character meals are bad, but definitely avoidable if characters are not for you).

But if you really want to eat at a character meal restaurant and avoid characters, tell them when you check in, wave characters away if they approach, and when all else fails, simply tell them, "I'm sorry, we're not into character interaction, but thank you." They will heed your wishes, but yes, you might be approached.

Dead on....

By and large....the food quality, prep staff at character meals are intentionally cheaper and lower quality....
higher profit at a place that also charges you just to have a couple of fuzzy costumes in the room

much better food to be had without the characters

Polynesian Dweller
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Actually totaly agree with you and that us what we do. The growing number of character meals seems to coincide with a decline on quality in the character places. We used to enjoy a couple of the restaurants but when they changed yo character their menu quality declined. So yes they are great if you want character interaction but not otherwise.

That said, back to the OPs question, the suggestions are good but none foolproof in our experience beyond not going at all.