PDA

View Full Version : Disney Studios restaurants??

brown1442
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Do any stand out... good or bad??

We are debating doing the Fantastimic package but none of the restaurants look spectacular to us. Both my boys are on the autism spectrum though and will not tolerate getting there over an hour early and waiting. We will have a GAC (and a wheelchair) but I was under the impression that that doesn't help for Fantasmic... is that true??

Should we stick to the dining package or eat somowhere else... perhaps do a breakfast somewhere that day before going to Disney Studios... and then eat CS dinner before the show??

Any insights??

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
We haven't been impressed with a TS restaurant in DHS yet...we still haven't tried Brown Derby or 50's Prime Time yet though...Sci Fi is fun but the food is blah...we didn't like Mama Melrose's and Hollywood and Vine was a mediocre buffet....we really liked the gourmet sandwiches at Starring Rolls but I'm not sure about the kids menu.

faline
11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I can tell you that Brown Derby is certainly a favorite of mine!

I'm not sure how Fantasmic works for folks with special needs. You might want to ask that question in the forum for folks with specific needs!

SBETigg
11-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Brown Derby is really good, and the environment is not too stuffy, but peaceful and friendly at the same time. It might be a great choice for you.

Pirate Granny
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
You need to check w/Disney to see if 'special' arrangements can be made for your situation. Even with the Fantasmic Package you MUST be in line no later than 45 minutes or you run the risk of no seats...they no longer reserve the seats...we got there 30 minutes before the show and it was standing room only...the CM had allowed other guests to sit in the section that is no longer really reserved for package persons. BEWARE.... you may get a 'special' consideration due to your circumstances which would be better for you, there is reserved seating for wheelchair persons and most of the time there are seats for the family also. I agree with the Brown Derby comments; but it is two TS and a lot of meal (you get ourdourves sp???) the meal and dessert...so that's a long time to have your children sit. I believe they would do better at the Sci-Fi...Have a wonderful time...
:pirate:

ElenitaB
11-04-2009, 10:01 PM
The special seating afforded to you by the Fantasmic! package is in certain sections of the ampitheatre and require going down the stairs. This will not help you with the wheelchair. When faced with this choice when planning one of our trips as I travel with an ECV, we opted not to use the package. It also helped us avoid the EARLY dinner ADRs.

Have a wonderful trip! :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
I cannot address the special needs issues you have and would advise you to do as previous posters had suggested. And, I haven't done the Fantasmic package. We've seen the show once, and it wasn't so wonderful that we've wanted to see it again. If anything, the strobe lights gave my DD a migraine.

Table services we can give our :twocents: We've eaten at Sci Fi, 50's and Mama Melrose's. Our least favorite was Sci Fi-- too dark, the hokie movie strips repetitive and the food average at best. We enjoyed Mama Melrose's when we went last year - good food and fast service. 50's is our favorite as you can get good home cooking food. If your boys may not react well to the roles the wait staff play ("keep you elbows off the table", "eat all your veggies"), you may tip the staff off before entering to "lay off". But of all three, we've gone to 50's three times and have enjoyed every meal.

HoosierDisneyFan
11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I have purchased the Fantasmic Package three times and ate all three times at Mama Melrose's. Twice it was very good and once I would say just average. Unless there are been a change the only other choices for the Fantasmic Package are Hollywood and Vine (buffet) and Brown Derby (2 TS). Personally I did not see anything on the Brown Derby menu I thought my son would enjoy and Hollywood and Vine never really seemed appealing to us. 50's Prime Time cafe is always a favorite of our's but it is not a Fantasmic Package option.

We have only seen the show itself twice (one we were rained out). I would say if you have never seen it, it is worth the effort but I am not sure we would go again. Nothing against the show, just a lot of waiting invovled (even with the Fantasmic Package).

Maleficent's Dad
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
As for the restaurants, the Hollywood Brown Derby stands head & shoulders above all others in the park. But alas, it is also the most expensive.

As for the special needs question, I cannot give you any guidance. But there are plenty around here who can. :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
11-06-2009, 09:18 AM
The TS that stands out in this park is not on the Fantasmic package. That would be the 50's Prime Time Cafe. (IMHO) Over the years, this TS has consistently been one of our favorites in all of WDW. The food is always excellent and the service is wonderful. It is an entertaining attraction in itself.

lockedoutlogic
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Brown Derby is really good, and the environment is not too stuffy, but peaceful and friendly at the same time. It might be a great choice for you.

Brown derby is the best by far

mama melrose, primetime, and sci-fi can be good...but aren't always so

hollywood and vine isn't even worth considering

watch out for the quickserve....for some reason...everything tastes WORSE at MGM quickserves...especially ABC Commissary:ack:

Mickey'sGirl
11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Of all the dining at MGM, our favourite is the Brown Derby, and our boys love it too. It is calming (which is good for people with sensory issues) and cool and spacious and the food it fabulous. Of the other choices, our children preferred Hollywood and Vine to Mama Melrose, and generally speaking, they prefer Sci Fi to the 50's Prime Time (although they are not part of the package).

I responded to your comments in the Special Needs thread, and recommended the package for you as a means to avoid an excruciating wait... but I am not familiar with how the seating for guests in wheelchairs works.

brownie
11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
We like the Backlot Express. Sci-Fi Dine-in is an interesting experience. We enjoy Hollywood & Vine and have done the Fantasmic! package there as well as at Mama Melrose's.

wdw_bound
11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
with a GAC, you don't need to do the package. We've done Fantasmic once, and sat in the wheelchair section - it is at the back, and we were off to the side, so it was ok, but not prime viewing. However, unless you are able/prepared to wait in the regular line (and get there early enough to be in the front of it), the seating is as good as you would get any other way.

As for dining, we love Brown Derby. It is quiet, relaxing, and we found the service to be wonderful. Our waiter was very accommodating with both our kiddos, and made menu substitutions, made sure they had stuff to keep them occupied, and generally helped us enjoy our meal as adults, without worrying about the kids and diners around us. But we used 2ts credits and were not on the fantasmic package when we dined there, so don't know if that impacted menu/service any.

Have a great trip!:mickey: