PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Acadamy Changes: Picking Padawans

SorcererJim
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Has anyone heard about a change to the way Padawans are selected... heard something about there being some sort of line instead of the previous way of the Jedi Master picking them by "sensing the force in them"

Any confirmation? If this is true, I think it will take away from the "show". I know that some will argue that "it's not fair that MY kid didn't get picked"... but really, how can EVERY kid be accomodated in a show like this...

oh well, just looking for details.

rubato
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I would like to know the answer as well. We stood in front of that stage for every show for 2 days. Of course, my son never got picked. Which is fine. But, I was just going to avoid it on this next trip. If something has changed and there is some sort of order to it, we might try it again.

pamickeys
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
just back..... nope they picked them at random just like before, but they seemed to pick smaller kids,which made it cute

wire0monkey
11-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I wish they would add a line or a Fast Pass or something to this show. It's sort of hard on kids when they don't get picked over and over again.

Both of my kids managed to get picked on the first try in August.

Stuff that can help a kid get picked
(no guarantees!):

1. Check out Touring Plans for the recommended day to go to DHS. They recommend days when there is no extra magic hour at DHS and often no Fantasmic, so the park will be less crowded. Pick the lightest day that you can when DHS is a recommendation.

2. Get to the park early enough to make the first showing of Jedi Training Academy. It's usually the lightest attended show, and your chances of getting picked are slightly better. (We hit the park close to opening. I took the tickets to get FPs for Toy Story Mania, and the boys' father took them over to wait for Jedi Training Academy.)

3. Take signs. I learned this tip from a Mom who goes to Disneyland a lot. I made neon colored poster board signs for my kids that said "Pick Me" and "The Force is Strong in Me" and "Padawannabe" and let the kids decorate them with Star Wars stickers.

4. Be animated. The kids should get to front of the stage, jump up and down, and wave their arms. (My four year old didn't like this suggestion. He rolled his eyes and said "Mom... Jedis are patient.")

Imagineer1981
11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
(My four year old didn't like this suggestion. He rolled his eyes and said "Mom... Jedis are patient.")

HA HA HA...thats the best answer ever!

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I know that some will argue that "it's not fair that MY kid didn't get picked"... but really, how can EVERY kid be accomodated in a show like this...

Trust me after you've been the first family waiting for this "show" at least a dozen times over the years with your little Star Wars fanatic, waiting in the heat for what seems like an eternity, and having to deal with a crushed kid time and time again you'd think this was a good idea. I completely understand, as does my child, that not every kid will be picked, but its really frustrating to try so many times and him never get picked. Poor little guy, sometimes he's cried, sometimes he's acted like a big boy, but I know each and every time he was crushed. He just wants to do this once, so any kind of line would be great. Then we'd never have to go near that place again. LOL. On our last trip we just avoided it all together.

MOJoe
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with Buzznwoodysmom. Doing anything to guarantee at least one Jedi Training session would be a huge leap forward for those who really need to do this. I know, because i have a son whose whole Disney trip hinged on this one event. Lukily, after just a few attempts, albeit, on different days, he was chosen. But for every success there must be dozens of hopefulls who never get the chance.

Also, i would like to add to WireMonkey's list a #5. If you do not get chosen, come back for the next show and stand in the exact same place as before, hopefully at the very front of the stage. The Master most likely will recognize you from the previous session.

KylesMom
11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Trust me after you've been the first family waiting for this "show" at least a dozen times over the years with your little Star Wars fanatic, waiting in the heat for what seems like an eternity, and having to deal with a crushed kid time and time again you'd think this was a good idea. I completely understand, as does my child, that not every kid will be picked, but its really frustrating to try so many times and him never get picked. He just wants to do this once, so any kind of line would be great. Then we'd never have to go near that place again. LOL. On our last trip we just avoided it all together.
Ditto - done that starting with Star Wars Weekends many moons ago, and then when they first opened up the "Academy" full time. We've been in the throng waaay more than a dozen times over the years - to no avail. We've tried every suggestion to get him up on that stage just once . . . except for the signs.

Even though my DS would enjoy this just as much now at 11 as he would have at 4 (probably more), he never ventures near the stage anymore when they're preparing to pick the padawans. I think he realizes now that he's just to big to participate . . . but it would have been great to have some type of way to get him up on that stage when he was younger. :darth:

SorcererJim
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Trust me after you've been the first family waiting for this "show" at least a dozen times over the years with your little Star Wars fanatic, waiting in the heat for what seems like an eternity, and having to deal with a crushed kid time and time again you'd think this was a good idea.

Oh trust me... I know. I went through the same thing with my son... we tried no lie 15 times over several years and never got picked... luckily mine handled it well (like a true Jedi... as a previous post pointe dout... patiently ;)) We did manage to get him up on stage last time we were there, things we did

#1: Was in his Star Wars shirt.
#2: Went to the first show
#3: Made a sign that read... 'The force is strong with me" with a big arrow and pick me! on it.
#4 stood to the left of the stage up front.

I'll be interested to see if this new method is A) true and B) works. I wonder if there will be an "age limit" to get in line so the older kids (10+) get a chance too... seems always to be the 4-9 crowd which makes it cute and funny sometimes.

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh trust me... I know. I went through the same thing with my son... we tried no lie 15 times over several years and never got picked... luckily mine handled it well (like a true Jedi... as a previous post pointe dout... patiently ;)) We did manage to get him up on stage last time we were there, things we did

#1: Was in his Star Wars shirt.
#2: Went to the first show
#3: Made a sign that read... 'The force is strong with me" with a big arrow and pick me! on it.
#4 stood to the left of the stage up front.

I'll be interested to see if this new method is A) true and B) works. I wonder if there will be an "age limit" to get in line so the older kids (10+) get a chance too... seems always to be the 4-9 crowd which makes it cute and funny sometimes.

Yeah, my little one handled it well too. He didn't shed any tears till like the 5th or 6th time he didn't get picked and he was only around 4 years old at the time. Very hard age to explain why time and time again he wasn't picked. Honestly if he had reacted any worse than a few quiet tears I would have not gone back. I saw some really upset children throwing trantrums after some of the shows.

For me it ends up being a huge amount of time spent trying to get him picked. Where as if there were just a line or other way to do it once my kid was able to go up there and participate we'd not go back time and time again. I'm not complaining, really I'm not. Its just the nature of the way they have it set up, and if they did it differently it would be so much less of a headach for me. My children are now 9 and 7, older DS has no interest in doing the Jedi training. I think we'll try one last time when we are there later this month. Might even pack the old Anakin costume just to see if it makes a difference. We also have the yoda "Judge me by my size do you" tshirt I may have him wear if he doesn't want to wear the costume. I'll try to report back when we get home.

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
After the third rejection, my DS (then 8) said "forget it" and never wanted to go back to try again. Even last week when we were there, I asked him if he'd like to try again (he is 10 now) and he said "nah" with his head hung low. It doesn't help that he is very tall for his age, looking like a 13 or 14 year old. Oh well, can't force them!

TheRustyScupper
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
heard something about there being some sort of line.

The only lines that I know of are
. . . May The Force Be With You!
. . . Is Florida Always This Hot?
. . . What Time Is the 3:00 Parade?

DisneyBabies
11-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I think I have posted this warning before, but it bears repeating I think. For those who follow the guidelines that were posted earlier, you may get the opposite reaction you are hoping for.

We took DS for his first trip to WDW in March for his 5th birthday and once he saw this show he begged us to come back so he could try to do it. It was our last day and we had already planned to leave an hour earlier but hadn't made it out of the gates yet :D so we told him he could try at the next show. There were a lot of kids wanting to do it so we did talk to him about how he may not get picked and it would be disappointing, but we had to leave after that show so he wouldn't be able to try again. We stood off to the left side of the stage because there was so much pushing going on at the right side of the stage and DS seemed to be the smallest kid there so we didn't want him getting trampled. DH and I were amazed when all these kids started bringing out signs and shouting when the Jedi Master came out to start picking kids; we had no idea it was THAT popular and THAT big of a deal to get into. We just looked at each other sure that DS wouldn't get picked. DS just stood there with his hand raised smiling at the Jedi Master waiting patiently. The Jedi Master started picking kids and as he got around to DS he said something to the effect of "Yes, you; the short one with the force." (which became somewhat of a theme thru the entire show when he spoke to DS who of course picked the spot front and center on the stage :rolleyes:) and he picked DS who ran toward the stage before the Master even finished speaking :D. I can still see the smile he had on his face after he got picked :cloud9:. Once all the kids were picked, DH and I looked around and not one of the kids with signs or those who were yelling got picked. A few kids with the cute Star Wars shirts on did get picked. After moving toward the front of the stage to better see DS, we heard a lot of the kids and parents muttering about how they were supposed to get picked because they made the effort to do all these things to stand out.

My first thought when I heard this was that maybe my DS and the other kids stood out because they weren't doing those things. After the show, DS wanted to get the special picture with Darth Vader and the photopass girl commented on DS getting to go up. We said we were suprised he was picked since all those other kids had signs and stuff and she told us that the Jedi Master who did that show never picks the kids with signs and things if he can help it because he thinks the quiet kids should get a chance too. Since there are apparently a few Jedi Masters and you never know who you are going to get, the signs and things may be a hinderance instead of a help.

joanna71985
11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
There is now a change to the way kids are picked for JTA. Now kids are picked on a first come, first serve basis. And kids must be between 4-12 years old. Outside of that, I'm not sure how it works. I will have to try to stop by a show over the next few days.

BIGDOG
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
There is now a change to the way kids are picked for JTA. Now kids are picked on a first come, first serve basis. And kids must be between 4-12 years old. Outside of that, I'm not sure how it works. I will have to try to stop by a show over the next few days.

So have you found out anything new about the selection process yet at the Jedi training??

Mendelson
11-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Bit of a macabre angle on this, if you ask me...don't all the tykes in the Jedi Academy in the movie get, uh.... "darthed" by Anakin?

MOJoe
11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
i have heard that padawans are now picked at the end of the show. When the show ends, a new group is chosen, still somewhat randomly. This eliminates the need to "camp out" for the next show, but still doesn't guarantee that everyone that really wants to participate will get the chance.

BIGDOG
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Has any one tried slipping the Jedi master a 20.00 bill to pick your kid?

Gypsysmak
11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
We were there last week (Nov 7-15) and they had a que lined up with children and it seemed to me that they were in line to be picked for the show.

BluewaterBrad
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM

LOL!!:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

1) Jedi's don't use dollars.
2) You need interstellar currency.
3) Try
. . . Galactic Standard Credits
. . . Druggats
. . . Nova Crystals

tesslor
11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
We just returned from The World on Wed.

Yes, they are lining you up to pick kids.
You stand in line and they take the first 15 kids that meet the criteria.

We got in line about 3:45. A cast member came by and told us that it would be iffy whether or not we got into the 4:00 show, as there were more than 15 kids in front of us. We would have been the 16th kid, so we just stayed in line and were first for the 4:45 show. DS was perfectly content sitting in line, knowing he would be in the next show.

This worked well for us, but the park wasn't busy at all. If the park was busy you could reasonably be in that line for hours and hours, so I wonder if this is just for slow times.

wire0monkey
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
We just returned from The World on Wed.

Yes, they are lining you up to pick kids.
You stand in line and they take the first 15 kids that meet the criteria.

We got in line about 3:45. A cast member came by and told us that it would be iffy whether or not we got into the 4:00 show, as there were more than 15 kids in front of us. We would have been the 16th kid, so we just stayed in line and were first for the 4:45 show. DS was perfectly content sitting in line, knowing he would be in the next show.

This worked well for us, but the park wasn't busy at all. If the park was busy you could reasonably be in that line for hours and hours, so I wonder if this is just for slow times.

I'm so glad to hear this!

This is a much more fair solution because it lets kids and their parents put a priority on getting picked. For my kids, it would be totally worth it to wait forever to get picked for this show. It gives every kid the same chance to be in the show.

SorcererJim
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
If this is the method that will stick (Stand in line until you get picked)... I think they need to consider putting in a fast pass type machine... that way you don't have to waste your entire day camping out in line. Still doesn't sit right with me... definitly a "minus" to atmosphere.

BigThunderFan
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
If this is the method that will stick (Stand in line until you get picked)... I think they need to consider putting in a fast pass type machine... that way you don't have to waste your entire day camping out in line. Still doesn't sit right with me... definitly a "minus" to atmosphere.

I totally agree. How fair is this for kids who live close to Disney and can come pretty frequently and don't mind wasting a lot of their day in this line? I know there are so many kids that may never have another chance to go and won't be able to be in the show just because they can't stand in line all day.

tesslor
11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I have to believe this is something in the works.
When DS was picked he was given a small plastic card, think credit card, that said something about Jedi training. (Sorry, if I had actually looked at the card I could probably be more helpful). Then they were told to line up for the next show.
So, what is the purpose of the card if they are keeping them in line anyway. Maybe they plan on passing these out to kids who sign up at certain times, and then they could just come back for the show they are in??

here is a link to the photo of DS with the card. I thought I was inserting it as an image, but it didn't work.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww293/tesslor/IMG_4482.jpg

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds like they are getting to a better solution!

This is such great news, DD tried to get picked twice last trip, but it just wasn't to be ... darn her being tall for her age :yoda:

thejens
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I am SO glad for this change. Anything to prevent the crowds of disappointed little ones is better IMHO. My boys were chosen, but honestly I was so sad for the other little ones who were heartbroken I almost couldn't enjoy it. It might be a fun "show" for adults, but for kids, they really believe they are being chosen for the FORCE. Thank you, thank you, Disney!!!