PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Port Orleans Riverside

Diznee4Me
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
OK, long story short - had to cancel September trip, was going to book a late November trip but DW twisted knee so now, finally - at the last minute - we are trying to book a late November trip and all I can find for our dates is Port Orleans Riverside.

So tell me what you think about this resort.

Thanks

wildernesslady
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
We always enjoyed it there. It is spread out, but we never felt that far away from the main building. My grown children would go there in a hearbeat if we didn't buy into DVC. Using points doesn't make sense there. Enjoy and give something new a chance.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
We stayed at POR on our honeymoon and really enjoyed it.

In fact, the only reason we've moved to POFQ as "home" is for the smaller size resort.

But, we would stay at POR again in a heartbeat. We enjoyed the main pool, with a cool slide, and poolside bar, but also made use of the "quiet" pool that was right behind our building. We were located fairly close to the main building, it can be a hike to some of the further buildings, but there are bus stops throughout the resort, so you're always close to a bus for the parks.

We love the wandering paths, and really feeling like we weren't at Disney anymore (in a good way), it was quiet and relaxing.

The food court is good, with a lot of selection and grab 'n go items.

The boat to DTD is a neat trip, and a change from the busses.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :mickey:

retiredfigment
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Stayed there many times. The rooms were great. Each 'building' has many rooms, so it doesn't feel overwhelming.The walkways are wonderful, the trees are beautiful and the one thing I remember most is how wonderful it smelled outside in the morning. There was a lot to do right at the resort. You will love it!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
hated it. ill stay value before ill ever stay there again. I liked pop a lot better than i liked port orleans. I was very disappointed with the staff, I thought the place smelled weird, and It was very generic architecture, not to mention the place was crawling with cockroaches. Gross, and I was disappointed in the pools, as well. I thought they were crowded and not very themed. I was totally disappointed that we didnt say forget the free dining and camp. I really miss camping there.

Gator
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
We also stayed there on our honeymoon, but didn't have the great stay that a PP had. We got shoved into the Alligator Bayou, which looks like an apartment complex in South Birmingham. The landscaping was good. But unless you get a mansion room, it's really a very ugly resort. Not to mention, the bus service was almost as bad as the AllStars...almost. Still, it's a Disney resort, so the magical feeling will still be there. It's just so much better if you can swing it somewhere else on-property.

kathiep
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, DH loves the make your own pasta station at the food court. We also really enjoyed main pool. It had a great atmosphere. We would stay here again without question...just found our "home" elsewhere.

Seasonscraps
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
POR is my favorite mod.

I like the theming, pool, pool bar, River Roost lounge in the lobby especially when Bob Jackson is performing, Boatwrights is a pretty good restaurant (the menu is hearty comfort foods), the boat to DTD and the gift shop is huge! The French Quarter is a sister resort so you can use their pool & ammenities if you like.

The resort is pretty big but it doesn't feel too spread out or maybe we lucked out but it never felt like a hike to the bus or main building. They share a bus with the FQ so the buses can be a litte crowded.

I never had a bad experience there in terms of service or mousekeeping.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Last month there was a pretty extensive thread regarding POR with some pretty bad stories.

I won't repeat my post entire from that thread but will say POR used to be our favorite Moderate resort.

brownie
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
We enjoyed it there, although everything is spread out. We stayed at Magnolia Terrace and were towards the river side of the building, which meant a bit of a walk to the parking lot for us. The main pool has a nice theme to it.

Diznee4Me
11-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your post. The DW decided last night after several attempts at planning a WDW trip this year - she didn't want to go. So, based on y'all's responses we either will be missing a great experience and a new resort opportunity or will be dodging a bullet...:D

Thanks again, maybe next year.:mickey:

SurferStitch
11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I've posted in other threads about the two bad stays we had there in 2003, and we've never returned.

Long story short:

Stayed 3 months apart. Later trip was booked before early trip. Early trip was a last minute 4+3 deal, so we stayed there to see how it would be for our later trip with friends. Stayed in Parterre Place both times.

Dirty rooms
Musty smelling rooms
Stained carpeting with crud built up along walls
Marked up walls
Bathrooms were almost never cleaned
Cobwebs everywhere
Rude and/or lazy staff

So, we just never went back. I hope things are much better now, and I know a lot of people love it here. Maybe lightning just struck twice for us.

#1donaldfan
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
....the best resort as far as I'm concerned, and I only matter to myself.....ha, ha !!

It's a very relaxing retreat from the hustle n bustle of the parks...the food court is great, Boatwrights is good. There are boats to DtD, 5 pools, bike n boat rentals, .... you just have to see to appreciate, I'm sure you'll love it !:number1: