PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Ms. Mode
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
So, I'm thinking about starting the "pin trading" thing and I've been checking out the pins online etc. Of course there are several that I've seen (both old and new) that I really want to get, BUT, I'm looking at $65 for 6 pins.

I guess my question is, if you purchase pins that you like, how can you stand to trade them? And if you don't trade them, isn't that defeating the purpose?:confused:

WRWDisney
11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
When folks recommend buying pins on line for trading, they are recommending bulk purchases.

There are reputable sites that sell 25 pins for $45. This is an ideal way to start. You end up with pins that you have no emotional attachment to and then can trade them with the CM's at will (and you are out less than $2/pen vs. a minimum of almost $7 on property).

Now, if you are talking trading with the serious pin traders... well, that is an eat or be eaten environment and one that my family does not enjoy. Start out trading with CM's and once you have a collection that you are happy with, you can see about trading with other park guests if you so choose.

Ms. Mode
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok, that sounds good....can you tell me the site?:secret:

Lakin
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Lots of sites sell them in bulk for good prices. My mom just bought 100 pins on eBay for $100 dollars. :)

sisterdisco
12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
What I like to do is bring my lanyard and pins from home, and then I buy a few cheap pins during my trip (the ones sold in a box set). Then I have fun trading all the new ones during my trip. I might trade for one on a Monday, then trade it away on a aTuesday. I enjoy the pins and enjoy wearing them. My goal at the end of each trip is to have a lanyard full of pins that I REALLY LIKE. I enjoy them at home until the next trip.

NJGIRL
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
This is my take on collecting anything. I got this from a TV show a long time ago and it makes alot of sense.

1) Only collect what you can afford to buy.

2) Only collect things that you like.

3) Don't collect anything because you think you may be able to make money off of it someday because most collections won't make you any money. In fact it will probably be the opposite.

4) Don't have more than a few collections. They just end up collecting dust and most people tire of them after a few years.

We buy the pins (maybe one or two a day while on vacation) but since we buy what we like we never trade them. We look at the pins like a rememberance of an attraction or fun time we had. We take them out during the year and like to remember all the fun times we have at Disney.

I do see the attraction of pin trading but we just can't seem to part with our pins.

KylesMom
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Very sensible advice, Rita!

We actually purchase 15-20 pins each trip, ranging anywhere from $6.50 to $30 (A/P Pin being the most expensive). However, we don't trade them. Rather, we purchase a shadow box each year and put our pins along with some squished pennies/quarters in the case for a nice wall display. We started this ritual in 2000 (the case was very small then!) and now it's one of our favorite souvenirs each year! It's neat to have the cases hanging in our Disney room where we can admire them. :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
We found a good seller on Ebay and can get pins for under $2 each. Last time we bought them most of the pins were actually from this year's pin sets. So we got something like 30 of them and split them up between us. Our boys didn't want to trade some of the pins we bought on ebay, so I guess that we got a pretty good selection of pins.

Our boys have a great time trading and tend to only trade with CM's. They really enjoy meeting and talking to all the different folks when they trade.

Mad Hatta
01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
A good thing I like to do is make sure whenever I'm in a park I buy at least 1 or 2 cheep pins and carry them for a trade only pin. Cause some pins can only be obtained from CM's...that way you don't have to worry about which ones you DO like to give up for a gem you found.

ravsluvdisney
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
We are getting into heavy planning for our upcoming trip and my DS can't wait to see the new hidden mickey collections that only the cast members have. When we were there last year there was a book with all the collections and my kids looked through it when we arrived and picked the collections they wanted to try to find during the trip. Does anyone know if there is a site where we can find the 2010 collections? We are planning a shorter trip this year and my kids want to scope things out before we arrive since they will have less time to search for the pins they want. Thanks.

Mad Hatta
01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Well 2010 just started so there might not be a collection yet...I'm sure there plenty of 09 and 08 CM's floating around...I saw some 06's last time I went too...

azcavalier
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually, as we're preparing to go in May (and then again in October with my in-laws and their kids who have never been), my wife has been looking at pins on eBay. She has found a lot of large batches of pins that went for around $1 per pin. That's a really, really good deal. He goal is usually to not spend more than $1.50 per pin.

In my dreams
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't trade pins, only collect them. But I do like to bring a few with on my trip to wear.:mickey:

labtech_laura
06-24-2010, 07:04 AM
I think it is. I started collection pins in 1996, before pin trading officially began. I now have over 1000 pins. Before I go to the parks, I ofetn buy a lot of commons to use those for trade. When I'm there, I mostly go after cast members in order to get the HM/CL limited edition pins. Over the years, I have amassed several complete sets of those types of pins. Although I take them with me to display at the pin trader hut, I don't trade those. I trade the commons. Some of them are very rare and very valuble.

You can get lots of 25-150 pins on eBay for very reasonable prices. I sometimes sell on eBay. In fact, I have a few up on there now. I also do bulk trading with some people...I'll send 25 pins and get 25 pins in return.

It's fun and it's the thrill of the hunt. You never know what's out there.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Our DD loves to pin trade.

We buy her a bunch in bulk before we go, and then she has a ball talking to CM's, trying to complete special collections, etc.

She enjoys it, and with buying the pins in bulk it isn't too expensive :thumbsup:

GottaluvTiggr
07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I think it is worth it if you don't trade even. What I do is I buy pins on ebay or is there is a sale on Disney shopping that I don't want to keep and I trade them. I also though buy pins at Disney world and Disneyshopping.com that I like and don't trade. This way I get to trade but also buy pins I like. I love doing pin trading and buying pins. It is a fun thing to do when in the world and I would recomend anyone to try pin trading.

BigRedDad
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I can't stand pin trading, but my wife, daughter, and mother enjoy it. Some people collect for "the best" pins, others collect their favorite characters, other collect Hidden Mickey, and some collect LE or Cast Member pins. What ever you do, collect what you like.

Best advice I can give is to buy bulk on eBay. We just got 200 pins for $125 delivered.

Minnie97
08-12-2010, 12:51 PM
we went on eBay and we got a set of 100 pins for $100 when they came we picked out the ones we wanted to keep and we put them in our books. So the ones that are left we will trade for pins that complete sets we have or we just think are cool.
If you find a pin you like look on the back and see if it's in a set then you can go to pinpics.com and look at the pins that are in that set with it.:balloon:

jimsgal05
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Hello all, I don't remember how to post a ew thread ..totally mindless But I was at disney last yr. on 9-9-09 and Bought the PIN ith those dates it has CHIP AND DALE..so cute I have a few PINS they are all displayed on my 4 yrsold MM ears to cute I must say...some are from 2000. I won't beable to be at disney ON OCT 10 2010..aka 10-10-10 is there anyone going..I will send you $$ for pin and S/H too..the pin last yr was 9.99...very checky I thought... well HOPE SOMEONE can help
you can send a private message to me

Thanks, Lori

VWL Mom
08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Very sensible advice, Rita!

We actually purchase 15-20 pins each trip, ranging anywhere from $6.50 to $30 (A/P Pin being the most expensive). However, we don't trade them. Rather, we purchase a shadow box each year and put our pins along with some squished pennies/quarters in the case for a nice wall display. We started this ritual in 2000 (the case was very small then!) and now it's one of our favorite souvenirs each year! It's neat to have the cases hanging in our Disney room where we can admire them. :mickey:

Carol, what a great idea, I think you just gave me a new fall project. :mickey: