PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Flu Shot - Out of luck!

Melliesmom
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I have tried everywhere I know to get this shot and no one has it available anymore and do not think they will get any in. What? It's the beginning of November, wouldn't you think they would be bringin more in??? :confused:

tinksmom02
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
From what I've heard, the manufacturers have ceased production of the seasonal flu shot in order to make more of the Swine Flu shot.

Whether that's true or not, I can't say, just what I've heard from DD's various doctors.

Melliesmom
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I think that might be correct. However, I am not one of the eligible ones for the H1N1. Guess I'll be double sure to have my purell with me!!!

ILoveLegos
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Seasonal FLu shots are hard to find now, but I have heard rumors that your best bet to find them, is not with you doctor but with "big box" retail. Strangely enough store chains like BJ's Wholesale, Costco, Sams, Walmart etc. received the bulk of the production of flu shots (as compared to individual Doctors & clinic statistically). However as you have noticed, even these supplies are dwindling now everywhere. The supplies that places like Walgreen or CVS had were only guaranteed in stock until October 1, 2009. Oddly enough, the hype over the H1N1 virus, swept the fact that not enough seasonal flu shot supplies were created. Sadly that means more "chances of sickness" for the masses who did realize there would be a "run" on the vacinations now. :(

Tinkermom
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Did you check with your family doctor? Ours has the adult seasonal flu in stock but is very low on the pediatric seasonal flu. I have appointments for my kids on Thursday (just made them yesterday as I was in since I am sick).

Walgreens and CVS have been out of the seasonal flu for quite some time and from what I have heard may not be getting any in.

All I can say is that this is all just crazy!!

rubato
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
My son and I got ours about a month ago. Then, a week or two later, my hubby went into the clinic we had gone to and received their very last shot. They said that they weren't getting anymore. I'm so glad he went that day! I have an auto immune disease and don't need him bringing the flu into my house!!!;)

Madame Leona
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
My son was sick and couldn't go to the flu clinic at our dr's office. By the time he was better, they were out of shots and this was the beginning of October! I did some research and found a local health fair would have them. It was not busy at all and we were in and out. They didn't advertise as a flu shot clinic, just a health fair. I would see if there is something like that in your area. Ours was at the local golf club.

Georgesgirl1
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I got DS the first part of the shot, but now that he needs the booster they are all out and don't know when they will get any in. Very frustrating, but I am at least glad that we got a little protection before they ran out. None for me and DH though. Like you, all the places I have checked are out and don't know when and if they will get more.

It seems like there is a shortage every year. Why don't they just make more of the darn stuff to begin with???

Melliesmom
11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the responses! I'll go online in our community and see if any health fairs are going on. Maybe I'll get lucky somewhere. We're leaving in 15 days and would sure like to have one before then.

Disneyfirsttimer
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
My kids are usually given the seasonal flu shot in October. This year they gave it to them in August. It is usually not even available then. Maybe they knew something we didn't know. I did not intend to give them the swine flu vaccine (they are not in the group anyway). I am keeping my fingers crossed either way.

Good luck!

Karyn

diz_girl
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I've had the flu three times and those were years that I didn't get a shot. Now I get the flu shot every year.

I've been searching for the seasonal flu vaccine all over the place, but to no avail. I'm trying to get pregnant, so I'd like to be vaccinated ASAP. Nobody seems to have it anymore and I was suprised that all of the seasonal flu clinics are already overwith. It seemed a bit early in the year to be finished. My workplace normally (and thankfully) offers free seasonal flu shots to anyone who wants them and they are normally given around this time of the year. But now they say that they won't have anything until December, at the earliest, if at all.

They are starting to have H1N1 clinics around here and I will try to get an H1N1 vaccine. But in order to get one at the health department clinic, you have to be of a higher risk (child, pregnant, etc.) So my son will get his first H1N1 vaccine at the health dept clinic tomorrow. Thankfully he already got his seasonal flu shot.

I called the travel vaccination clinic around here and they are having an H1N1 clinic on Saturday. Anyone can get it there, not just people at higher risk, but they only have the nasal mist, which is a live virus. However, my doctor told me to avoid the nasal mist, since I'm trying to get pregnant. But at least my husband will be able to get the vaccine then. In the meantime, I've got bupkis.

IMHO - Most people didn't give a hoot about seasonal flu until the H5N1 (Bird) and H1N1 (Swine) influenza viruses showed up. Now people are panicking because it kills young people. Until now, doctors and clinics threw out millions of unused doses each year. When the flu normally killed mostly elderly people, then general population couldn't care less. A harsh judgment, I know, but am I really that far off base? Flame me, if you must.

MNNHFLTX
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
IMHO - Most people didn't give a hoot about seasonal flu until the H5N1 (Bird) and H1N1 (Swine) influenza viruses showed up. Now people are panicking because it kills young people. Until now, doctors and clinics threw out millions of unused doses each year. When the flu normally killed mostly elderly people, then general population couldn't care less. A harsh judgment, I know, but am I really that far off base? Flame me, if you must.No flaming here, but my experience with the seasonal flu shot is that there is not that much wasted by the end of season. Usually the number of doses needed for the target groups are pretty well calculated in advance. In fact, the last few years the hospital that I work at runs out of the supply of the seasonal flu vaccine for employees by mid-December and is right down to the wire in doses available for patients when we stop vaccinating them at the end of April.