PDA

View Full Version : What's your AK Stragedy?

disneykid@hrt
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
We've only been to the Animal Kingdom a handful of times and each time I feel like we are wandering aimlessly and not really taking much in. I don't know if we should head to EE or KS or walk to get a FP and back?! Has anyone found an effective way to tour Animal Kingdom? Thanks! I want to love this park so bad...

LudwigVonDrake
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I always head straight to Everest when I arrive at the park.

Joannelet
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I will send you a pm.
THis is where I was a cast member so I think I can help you out a bit.

Lakin
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I. Go to Expedition Everest
2. Ride it
3. Check the line for expedition everest, and if it's short, (a)ride it, and if it's long, (b)get a FP.
3a. Ride it again
3b. Go to Kilimanjaro
4. Check the line for EE and ride it again, or use your fastpass.
5. Repeat step 3.

beksy
11-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I know how you feel. I don't have a problem at MK or EC but at AK and DHS I am lost. We wander around and do things but I still feel like we aren't making the most of our time and just kind of go on what we come to. I'd appreciate the pm too Joannelet!

clausjo
11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
We felt the same way, but the last time we were there we just went in a circle and did everything. The best thing, though, was the safari. We went right when the park was closing. There was no wait and all the animals were out. We enjoyed it so much that we got right back on and saw even more animals. Now we don't even try to ride before the very end of the day.

RBrooksC
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
AK is designed for visitors to wander. That is the beauty of the park. It is not about major thrills, even though thrills are to be had there. The paths and landscaping lead a visitor to just wander.

When we go, we like to just take our time, look around and explore stuff there. I find AK to be very relaxing, especially when you go back into the animal trails.

While it is considered by Disney to be a half-day park, if you take your time it could be drawn into a one day park.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
We went straight to EE and then to the safari...after that, we went to the first available Lion King show and just fit the other attractions around that taking it one land at a time....my son was actually able to ride EE several times without wait in the single rider line

bruin1344
11-03-2009, 01:11 PM
straight to EE, get a fast pass, if the wait is short then ride it then and go back on it again later

then we head over to dinoland and then counterclockwise where we end at safari

Mrs Bus Driver
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
1.Discovery Island
2.Dinoland
(a)Primevil Whirl
(b)Dinosaur ride
3.Aisa
(a)See Flights of Wonder
(b)Walk the Maharajah Jungle trek
(c)Expedition Everest
4.Go to Africa to get to:
(a)Rafiki's Planet watch take Wildlife Express
(b)Tour the exhibits and take train back
5.Africa
(a)Walk the Pangani Forest Trail
(b)Kilmanjaro Safaris
6.Discovery Island
(a)It's Tough to be a Bug
(b)Flame Tree BBQ
7.Visit the zoological exhibits at the Oasis
8.Aisa
(a)Kali River Rapids “You will get wet, you may get soaked”
Hope this helps :mickey:

Gator
11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I head straight to the Safari, grab a FP, then ride it. If I didnt have kids, I'd go to EE and walk through the queue, cus it's pretty cool. However, with kids, we head to a trail to walk on and then over to the Nemo show, which is really great.

buzznwoodysmom
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
We normally arrive at park opening and head straight to EE, then to the Safari, then the next showing of the Lion King. After that we try to get in the other attractions in no particular order. We are usually leaving the park not long after lunch time or at the latest 3pm. This year we are taking a different approach. We are having an early lunch at T-Rex at DTD then we go to AK after lunch. We are hoping that as the crowds that arrived at park opening are leaving the park won't be as crowded during the second half of the day. The few times we stayed at AK past 3pm we found that the closer it got to park closing the shorter the lines were, and many of the more popular rides were even walk ons.

cer
11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Excellent Thread, I know exactly what you mean, all this criss-crossing trying to get into shows, it is hard. I would love to know what the cast member advised....

tmosier
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I would love to know what the cast member advised....

Me, too.

fanofdisney
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
That makes 3 of us:mickey:

Joannelet
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Awe! I'm going to try to help you all out in the best possible way (since this is hard to do with a group). I can't customize it like I can with a specific family or person in mind....
Conquer Animal Kingdom in a circle. Start wherever you like and just go in a circle from there. There is no wrong or right way to go through this park. I always start with what I want to go on first which is usually KS so we start from that way and go back to Discovery Island, Camp Minnie Mickey to Dinoland etc. BUt if you enjoy EE first then start there and go whichever way you like from that area.
However, its important to understand that Animal Kingdom was made to MAKE you wander. So if you feel like you are wandering thats because you are!!! Disney did a great job with that!!! I think this is the most underestimated park.....

but just treat it like a circle and CHECK OUT EVERYTHING!! From the gift shops to the restaurants, from the hidden mickeys to the amazing plants and of course those animals!! Most people never even realize that there are certain spots around the tree of life where REAL animals are. I once saw a HUGE tortoise just moving along slowly around the tree of life....and another time saw a gorilla get up and bang its chest and do its call!! Not that many people get to see that :) But if you meander through like its meant, just maybe you will see how truly magical this park can be!!! :)

If you are interested in the shows plan on being in that area around that time so that you are not running from one end to the other (which is not the point of the park) If a show is starting at a time that will work for you say like the Festival of the lion king...then kill time in Discovery Island while you wait. Here are some things for you to do....look for the hidden mickeys on the tree of life, go into the stores in discovery island and try to figure out what type of animals are the 'theme' of that store. Go to pizzafari where each room represents a specific 'kind' of animal and try to figure it out. :)
If you are waiting for the Nemo show check out Dinoland for a bit. look for a hidden mickey at the playground, look at what the student paleontologists do when they are not searching for dinosaur bones. Each area has something to tell (just like all Disney theme parks do) this one isn't any different.

But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see. I hope this helps a little...Its hard giving group advice because everyone has different wants and needs...so that is why I pm people. Its easier to customize it a little.

Zawadi
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
However, its important to understand that Animal Kingdom was made to MAKE you wander. So if you feel like you are wandering thats because you are!!! Disney did a great job with that!!! I think this is the most underestimated park
But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see.

:ditto:

Even though we love the rides, esp. KS & EE, AK is a place to slow down and use your eyes to look at everything "from the perspective of a child" (Star Trek TNG - Natasha Yar about Lt Cmdr Data).
Look out for Ms DeVine in Africa and the big cats (follow the link below)

Tiger along the Maraharaja Trek (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3339529862_e5da96db7d_b.jpg)

Can't wait until we fly out to WDW 1st week of Dec and AK will probably be our first park :D :D :D

seanyred
11-04-2009, 08:04 PM
But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see. I hope this helps a little...Its hard giving group advice because everyone has different wants and needs...so that is why I pm people. Its easier to customize it a little.

I think that is the best possible advice. To many people rush AK and then complain that there isn't enought attractions...which isn't true...even though its NOT A ZOO it should be enjoyed at a Zoo Pace. You get more out of it.

Giggy
11-04-2009, 08:40 PM
We tend to do Kilomanjaro Safari early on as the animals tend to be more lively before the afternoon sun sends them all to sleep. It's a good job we do as well! Whenever we go there's always these poachers trying to get Big Red and Little Red... someone has to be there to stop them! :secret:

I know some people prefer to ride kali River Rapids later on in the day to avoid being wet all day but I don't think this is a major issue. If you go here mid-morning the sun will normally dry you out afterwards. As we go to Animal Kingdom on two different days (as a general rule) we start off with a character breakfast on the other day. This is always a nice touch.

Other of that I don't know of us following any other stratergy at AK, just look at what we would like to do and see (pretty much everything!) and go for it. Though for all I know it could all be planned out perfectly and I'm completely oblivious to it.

All our previous trips have been 2004 or earlier though so all I've seen of Expedition Everest is them building it. With this being one of the big 'new' things we're looking forward to next year I'd imagine the Everest Factor will come into play with whatever we decide.

skram79
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
We have two little ones 6 & 1. The way we knock out AK is

1. FP for Everest (just one runs over and gets them, the other takes the kids to camp mickey for characters)
2. Do the lion king show
3. Go get FP for safari ride
4. hit dinoland while waitng for the next nemo
5. everest after nemo
6. check the wait for water ride (we are not big fans of this ride so a 30 minute wait and we skip it)
7. Bug's life
8. go ride the safari
9. walk the kids along the zoo areas

gone.

we are normally finished around 2, getting there when the doors open.

Remember you fast passes do not expire that day, you can't use them early but you can use them late. So don't rush and pay attention when you can get your next fast pass. Riding the rides in between shows. The shows are amazing and really worth seeing.

This go around we are going to fit in the bird show.

Good luck and a safe trip

stitchaholic
11-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I will send you a pm.
THis is where I was a cast member so I think I can help you out a bit

we all want to know the advice :thumbsup:

2MuchWDFun
11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Joannelet. Our family loves AK (me, DH and college age DS) There really is so much to see.
The most amazing to me are the Tigers. I'm not sure how many people appreciate being able to see these big cats up close (not in cages). Having lived in San Diego for 20 years and going to the fabulous San Diego Zoo and the Wild animal Park five to six times a year,I can count on one hand the number of times we got to see them (usually at a distance, "can you see that brown patch over there in the grass?")

AK has a great mix of rides and nature. Joannelet's and others suggestion of going in a circle is a good one. The key is to slow down, take in the sights and sounds; enjoy a good meal; hold hands with your honey and take a stroll along the many pathways. It's really not all about the rides at this park...although I do love EE, KS, and Dinosaur!

Have fun! Explore!

Gator
11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Oh, yes. I slowed down on my second trip and went and caught Flights of Wonder. It was an incredible show, and I got selected to go on stage for the Owl demonstration. Pretty cool. :cool:

lighteningqueen
11-06-2009, 02:01 AM
We love it there. There is so many paths and walks that have some really neat animals and facts. Beautiful to take the trail around the tree of life and see all the carvings up close. The shops have the most unusual best gifts and displays inside them and Tusker is a must for starting the day off. Best breakfast in all the parks. Flame tree is the best sitting and enjoying the water while eating . The parade is a not miss we usually spend all day there but the park hours are only 9-5 in Dec so not hard to do. It is the prettiest park that Disney has. I think we will try later oin the day on the safari. The animals are never out in the morning for us and is usually a let down as well as getting a driver that puts the petal to the metal when she drives. We saw nothing last time but our heads bouncing off the roof. I will avoid the women drivers and get a guy who looks as though he enjoys his ride. I am a woman so do not bash me but she was the worst. 31 more days before we land in the Kingdom

darthmacho
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Everest didn't exist when I last visited, so it was always easy for me. I'd start with K.Safari, do Pangani Trail, and then ride the safari at least one more time before moving on to Asia.

I imagine I'd start with Everest now, or at least get a fastpass asap!

brownie
11-07-2009, 11:02 AM
We've always gone right to Kilimanjaro Safaris but that was before Expedition: Everest. We'll have to rethink this strategy the next time we go.

Suz36
11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
We love the slow-down approach at AK. We've always gone with the advice to do the safari first, and it's worked well for us. However, on our most recent trip, we happened to get on a late ride, and it was the best ever! We saw lots of animals, and maybe because they were only loading from one station and there were fewer vehicles out, the driver went MUCH slower and even stopped a few times - it was great! Maybe it was just a lucky fluke, but it was a great experience and we'll certainly try that strategy again!

kemps@wdw
11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
We usually start @ EE (FP and ride), then work our way around from Asia to Africa. Then Dinoland. Or start in Africa and then to Asia. However you proceed, it's probaby best to do KRR last, as you WILL get wet or SOAKED! And unless you bring a change of clothes (too much trouble), it's not very comfortable walking around in wet clothing (been there...done that).
If you have little ones, take a break @ the Boneyard. TTBAB is a must-do for us. Festival of The Lion King is a wonderful show (arrive about 30 minutes early to get a front row seat and a possible spot in the show). If the centralized fast-pass is up and running, it could be a real time-saver. But, may be just as quick @ the attraction entrance itself. Take time to stroll thru the animal trails for some great photo opps.:thumbsup:

AmandaChan
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
DH and I always have a very detailed AK strategy.

First we always show up at this park as soon as it opens. First we go to EE to get a FP (regardless of current wait time) then we go to Kilamanjaro Safari because the line is never too long in the AM and that is when all the animals are out the most -- before it gets too hot outside and they're feeding. All of them are out every single time.

By the time we're done with that we usually do the trails or go to EE depending on what time it is. Usually before we get on EE we get a FP for Dinosaur. It's a really big park and it always feels like you're wondering around but really there isn't a whole lot to do. The two trails, kilamanjaro, EE, Nemo and the lion king, and Bug pretty much makes up a full day for us.

TheVBs
11-11-2009, 07:29 AM
We love AK! I have no idea how people do this park in a half day, or even one full day. I imagine you'd be missing out on a lot that way. We actually take two full days for this park. And even then we don't usually get to see everything we would like to!

DVC2004
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
We head straight to EE and ride, and pick up fast passes to ride again later. Then we head to KS. Usually the line is not bad there. Those are the two major things we hit first.

lighteningqueen
11-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I too love this park there is so much to see and do here. I think alot of people who don't give it a chance. The run to EE and ride it to death then leave. Thre are so many trails that are beautiful to see and the shops are so different than the other parks. Watching DIvine, Rafikis, its all good there especially breakfast at Tuskers, Those eggs are the best.

candleshoe
11-18-2009, 12:12 AM
1) get there 1st thing in am and join the morning rush to the safari.
2) Realize once again that the safari isn't really that great
3) Start to wonder why, exactly, we decided to dedicate one of our vacation days at AK
4) Leave early and hop to EPCOT
5) Vow that this is really really the last time we're going to AK until the kids are old enough to want to go on EE.
:thedolls:

elmjimmlm
11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
When we were there in August there were FP machines located outside Bugs Life for every major ride in AK...This is a way you can grab your FP sooner and maybe see some bugs and not have to worry about trying to get to the ride you want to get to 1st...We did this and it seems like our day went a lot smoother...

fanofdisney
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
FP machines by Bugs Life for all the major rides? I have not seen or heard this before is it something new they are doing? Will they do it for MLK jr weekend?

BigThunderFan
11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
FP machines by Bugs Life for all the major rides? I have not seen or heard this before is it something new they are doing? Will they do it for MLK jr weekend?

From what I understood this was something they were testing and has since gone away.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

passholderryan
11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
My wife and I find that you have to make a mad-dash for the Dawa Bar by Kilimanjaro Safari and grab some margaritas:marg::marg::marg:. That seems to help with the pain of dealing with the crowds and heat.;)

PrettyMinnie
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
We always to AK in the morning because for some reason I always feel like this park gets HOT quick. We walk in and split at the Tree of Life. One person heads to EE for FPs while the others head towards Africa and the Safari. There is a really great CS that has cinnamon buns, coffee, coffee ect. on the way. This gives us enought time to meet back up and we head over to the safari.After we use the FP, we do FOTLK and then head out.

lighteningqueen
11-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Is it all about the rides there? I seem to enjoy the beauty of AK it is wonderfully laid out. So much to see there not just rides. I only ride Dinasour and Kiliminjaro . I really think if you did the trails and saw everything this would be a favorite park. Even Rafikis, The walk up there is beautiful and took lots of thought into this park. Next time plan a day there and do everything. Even their shops have different things in them than the other parks and their displays are so unique.