PDA

View Full Version : Just back from AKL - we LOVED it!!

Dsnygirl
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't usually do reviews on here, as I don't consider myself an expert on the dining or the resorts at Disney... we don't do many fancy meals, and we usually stay at CBR for most trips, as we love it there and consider it to be our "home" resort.

But - this last trip (which we got home from yesterday.... :() we decided to splurge and stay at my dream resort, the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We got a pool view room at a fantastic AP rate, and absolutely couldn't wait to get there.

We'd been to the resort once before, for dinner at Boma in December... so only saw it at night... we were really looking forward to seeing the savannahs and everything the resort has to offer during the daytime, and being able to relax there for 5 days.

Well, let me tell you -- if you have EVER thought of trying AKL -- you just have to!! It is amazing... granted, we were given a surprise upgrade to a savannah view room, which I'm sure is part of the reason we found it so awesome and exciting... but I honestly believe that even if we'd had our pool view room, or even a standard view room, we would have loved it. The "wow!!" factor might have been a bit less w/o the animals outside our room, but nevertheless, the beauty of the resort as a whole... the friendliness of the staff... the activities they have going on all the time for kids and adults alike... and just the "plushness" of a deluxe compared to a moderate is amazing.

The lobby when you walk in takes your breath away, and there is this bridge up on the 5th floor that gives you the most amazing views, both outside and of the lobby. The smells from Boma and Jiko fill the whole area, as well as the firepit that is going 24/7, and it is just so homey.

Our room was amazing... we found that the pictures we've seen online just don't do the rooms justice. The drapes up over the beds, the added height of the beds and heavy draperies on the windows to keep out the night lighting... everything about the room felt luxurious. The towels were fluffier, the soaps and lotions nicer and the bathroom area was SO nice... the toilet/shower area is SO much bigger than at the mods, and you wouldn't think that would matter 'til you experience it -- it's very nice!! (They could use a bit more for storage, though... we missed the shelves below the sinks that the moderates have, as well as the pegs on the wall shelves... you do have to be a bit creative here to store your stuff, esp. if you like to bring a lot. :blush:)

We were on the Zebra Trail, close to Arusha Rock and looking out over the Arusha Savannah. When we got into our room (which was ready when we got there at 10:30 - amazing!!) there were zebras and a bongo (named Clifford, we found out... ;)) pelicans & cranes outside our room... and soon they were joined by one of the giraffes, and we must have sat there watching and taking pictures for quite awhile. Throughout our stay, we had zebras and kudus and ankole cattle, a variety of different deer... the giraffes were only around once in awhile, although on our last night, one decided to take a siesta right down from our room, only 30 or 40 feet out from the rooms. Amazing. None of the animals seem phased by the people watching them... one night, we came home to find 4 zebras right outside our balcony, munching away, not minding at all all the flashes going on from people's cameras. It was terrific.

So - to say we were happily impressed is an understatement... when we climbed into bed our first night (which was ultra comfortable, the pillows and sheets, etc., are fantastic...) I told my DH I was never leaving, and he said he could see why the floors of the main lobby are so well polished... it's from people having to be dragged out at the end of their stay, and the floors needing to constantly be re-done. :D

lockedoutlogic
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
pound for pound, animal kingdom lodge is the best hotel disney has ever built.....

....you heard it here:thumbsup:

laprana
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Great report! So glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed AKL so much!! :thumbsup: I agree, it's a really impressive resort. The lobby is just gorgeous and the whole place just has an amazing feel to it. So have you found a new "home" at WDW? :)

SBETigg
11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm so glad you had such a great stay! It sounds like it was just perfect for you. What a feeling! Sorry it all had to end.

faline
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow! I'm so happy you had such a wonderful experience at Animal Kingdom Lodge! It does get tough to leave "your" animals, though, doesn't it?!

seanyred
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
So glad to hear that you had a great trip. We would visit the lodge everytime we were at WDW just to take in the sights there. And luckily we will be staying at Kidani Village in just 12 days:mickey:

hannahandkalebmom
11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm glad you had a wonderful stay at AKL. From hearing how great your stay was I am getting so excited for my upcoming trip. We will also have the savannah view. Hope we get a view as great as yours was.:mickey:

Nascfan
11-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Blythe, I'm SO happy to read how much you enjoyed AKL! I really can't wait for May/June now. Let me know when you get some pics up, ok? I want to see them so I can dream. :mickey:

KatMark
11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your great review. We are doing a split stay next year with three nights at the AKL and then five nights in Marco Island and then back to Disney and five nights at the CSR. Your review has made us happy with our decision.

tesslor
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
This year we are taking DM to Disney with us and can't afford 2 rooms at AKL (there will be 5 of us), so we are staying at POR.
Your review makes me "homesick" for AKL, my favorite!

RedSoxFan
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at AKL -- and with an upgrade. Congrats. I love AKL and everything about it --- esp the gift shop. I visited it every day.

Dsnygirl
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I love AKL and everything about it --- esp the gift shop. I visited it every day.
Me too... really loved their stuff. Came home with a hand-carved giraffe and zebra... and couldn't believe how inexpensive they were!! And beautiful. And of course, and AKL zip-up hoodie... easy to justify, when all my others were packed and I was heading home to 40 degree weather, right?? :blush:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm jealous....while we are happy to stay at any resort on site, our dream would be AKL Savannah...maybe one day we will be able to afford it...sigh:(

KylesMom
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Blythe, what a wonderful experience for you and yours. The excitement in your post about everything AKL is evident. I'm guessing you have a new "Home", huh?! :D

Thanks for sharing your excitement with us! :mickey:

A&M'sMommy
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Awesome review thank you!!

We're very excited to be staying there in February. I can only cross my fingers for an upgrade to savannah view. We're in a pool view bunk.

Thanks again and glad you had such an awesome trip!

GreenBeetle
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I didn't think I could be any more excited for our first stay at Kidani Village in 59 days, but you did it!! :yay:

I hope our savannah view animals are as friendly and cooperative for photos as yours! ;) ;)

Thanks!

Mitzie
11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
So exciting! We will be there in 30 days. My DH favorite park is AK and I may never get him to another resort after this. Staying club level so we can do the sunrise safari. We are also doing a split stay and looking forward to seeing each place as they are new to us.

sassy2000
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
So glad you had a good stay. We will be staying there for the 1st time Nov 29 and I can't wait. Your review makes me even more excited! My DD2 loves giraffes and I can't wait to show her that we will be staying "with" them.

pdrlkr
11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the Review! :elephant:

TikiGoddess
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I totally agree with you, Blythe! Our stay at AKL was fantastic. The animals (we had savannah view too)... the ambiance of the resort... the plushness of the rooms...

I'm hoping for the buy 4/get 3 to be extended into summer so we have a shot at staying there again. Hubby liked it more than WL (except for the location... WL wins on that one).

Kathy

Mickey'sGirl
11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Sounds fantastic, Blythe! Way to score Savannah sites! :thumbsup:

Harry and I would love to stay at AKL as well -- thanks for sharing your comments!

disneydeb
11-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I need to go again!

NOW!

:mickey:

Suz36
11-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the great review! I'm now even more excited for our May trip!!!!

Lakin
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear you had a great time! That's the thing - I don't want to try a deluxe because I don't want my family to get hooked - $$$$.

Dsnygirl
11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear you had a great time! That's the thing - I don't want to try a deluxe because I don't want my family to get hooked - $$$$.
I totally agree on the $$$$ - but keep watching for the specials out there... we happened to be able to use my AP discount, so the price was phenomenal for our room. But the Disney Visa specials were almost as good, and there have been some general public discounts that came close to the AP rates, too. Can't beat getting a deluxe for less than a moderate!! :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
11-09-2009, 05:32 PM
:thumbsup::mickey: