PDA

View Full Version : New member questions

PETE FROM NYC
11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
DW and I just bought in on our trip in September.
Home resort: Bay Lake Tower.
Its just the two of us, and we are both handicapped ECV users.
Will a studio be large enough to accomodate both scooters?
Do the studios have washer/dryers?
I know they have a small fridge,but do they have stoves or just microwaves?
Would we be better off upgrading to a one bedroom?
We are tentatively planning to do our first DVC trip in Oct. 2010, when do we have to book by?
Do they have handicapped rooms?
Thats about all I can think of right now to ask, but I am sure I will be back often with more questions.
We very overwhelmed by the presentation and all of the accompanying paperwork.
Thanks for any and all responses.

DVC2004
11-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Congrats and welcome home!

Studios don't have washer and dryers in unit. Anything 1 BR and larger will. There are washers and dryers for DVC members to use free at the DVC properties but they are not in room.

The studios there at BLT are small. If you aren't going to use the pull out sofa and it's just the two of you I think you can get the scooters in but it will be tight. However the 1 BR is much larger and has the washer dryer plus kitchen.

Studios have microwaves, small fridge and sink. 1 BR and larger have full kitchens including full size fridge, microwave, oven/stove and dishwasher.

You can book at your hme reosrt (BLT) 11 months max. So for Oct 2010 you can book in November, starting the day you would check in. So if you wanted to stay Oct 10, 2010 you can call as soon as November 10 2009, and I would. October is cheap on points usage so members often go then and it fills up fast. Also since BLT is new many want to stay there. For any other resort you can book out 7 months before check in, so March 2010 would be the earliest in this case.

Yes there are handicapped rooms in all DVC resorts. Make sure you request that when you call Member Services to book.

Should you upgrade to 1 BR? Depends on what you want. If you want the washer and dryer in room and kitchen amenties, I would. Otherwise studios are fine but they are very similar to hotel rooms.

Alligirl
11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Congratulations Pete!
I am thinking that it may help you to take a trip out to the Roosevelt field mall. They have the new Disney's Doorway to Dreams store there and they have an exact mock up of a BLT studio & one bedroom. You can go at your leisure take the tour of the place, and see how the scooters fit.
Best of luck!

MinnieMommie
11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
:congrats: and

:welcome: Home!

Deciding on whether to apply your points to a studio or 1 bedroom may depend on how long you plan to stay and if you want the kitchen to prepare food and the washer and dryer right in the room to do your own laundry. If you normally do laundry when at Disney then having the washer and dryer in your room will be easier. The hot tub is another nice feature that you will not have in a studio. The one bedrooms are much more spacious but all depends on how you and your wife like to use the room and how long you will be vacationing. If you like to spend a lot of time in your room the 1 bedroom is a real winner.

vizsla
11-02-2009, 05:08 AM
:mickey:Congratulations and Welcome Home:mickey:

mjaclyn
11-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Congratulations and Welcome Home! DH and I just stayed in a one bedroom and a studio in BLT (split stay) three weeks ago. If BLT offers handicapped studios I'm sure you'll have more than enough room for the scooters. As for a non-handicapped studio, I highly doubt you will. We could barely fit our double stroller past the door and had to back into the bathroom on a daily basis just to turn it around. The one bedroom had MUCH more room and having the kitchen/washer & dryer was great. I'm not sure how much you would use the kitchen, but having two young kids we had breakfast in the room almost every morning. It was also super convenient for bottled waters and other snack items. We just booked our stay for next September and got the one bedroom again. We prefer having more room and would rather not wrestle with the double stroller! :-) I'm sure whatever you choose you'll have a magical trip. Bay Lake Tower is great and I can't wait to stay there again next year!