PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay pet sitter?

Carolanne
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey everyone! DH & I leave for the World in 16 days (woo hoo!) and we've had a little something come up.

My mom was going to come house sit & watch our dog for us, but she's still recovering from a recent surgery and doesn't feel she'll be able to take care of our Puppy Face while we're away (dog is a dachshund/poodle mix, weighs about 20 lbs and doesn't do stairs).

Our dog has never been boarded and the thought of it stressed me greatly. A friend's daughter is going to watch our dog in her own home while we're away (she's a vet surgical tech who loves animals & does pet sitting on the side).

My question is: can anyone suggest how much to pay her? I told her to let me know how much & she said "oh, whatever you think is fair." She's a great kid doing a huge favor for us & I don't want to underpay her. We gave her short notice. She'll be watching our dog in her home from Saturday night to Friday afternoon; we're sending food, snacks, and toys with her.

It's so hard for me to leave her with someone while we're away, even though we know & totally trust this person. Our dog is 10 yrs old & I've never boarded her--my mom has always been able to dog- & house-sit for us, but she just can't do it this time.

Thanks in advance!

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 09:15 PM
We are currently interviewing dog sitters so this is what we are finding...they are running between $15 - $20 a visit.
I hope this helps.
We need them to come 2xs a day so that can be up to $40 a day the most.
I am in the same boat as you. We've always had my parents watch our dog but its getting to be such a hassle to ask that we've decided to go out and find someone we can depend on without the stress.
Hope this helps!

NotaGeek
10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
If you gave her $10 a day that would be a nice thank you gift ... most boarding places are at least $16 a day so you would be saving a lot of money not to mention the stress on your dog. Maybe just write out a thank you card and stick the cash inside, seal the envelope and give it to her as you leave, then it won't be weird and she can't refuse it! This might also make her likely to help you out again!

HAVE FUN! :mickey:

Mousefever
10-30-2009, 09:40 PM
We pay our pet sitter $25/day to stay at our house, care for the dog, and feed the cats. Our dog needs companionship and is not used to being alone for long periods. It gives us great peace of mind to know that he's in a familiar environment when we're gone.

Amy

Carolanne
10-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone--this is all very helpful :mickey:

Our dog needs companionship and is not used to being alone for long periods.

Ditto--she's ok while we're at work, but I don't think she'd be ok with someone only coming in a few times a day while we're away.

When I go away with my mom & the dog is home w/DH, she goes on a hunger strike for a few days. Poor thing, lol. She's my baby.

CAS
10-31-2009, 02:48 AM
When we board ours we pay $20/day which is around what I was paid when I was younger to do such work for others.

Depening on how long you're gone I think $10 or less may be a bit on the light side, but if the person is actually staying at your house then more than $20/day is not out of the question.

bicker
10-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Our pet sitters charge $16 per day ($18 on weekends). We have two cats.

Katzateer
10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I used to have a neighbor that watched our animals and didn't charge. Now that we have moved I have found someone to come to our new house and I give her $15 a visit - she stays for about an hour each time.

Stitchahula
10-31-2009, 08:50 AM
I used to watch certain clients dogs for them when they would go away. I would charge $20 a day. They were treated like family in my house. We use a pet sitter when we go out of town and I believe the charge is around $15 a visit(each time she comes to the house). Which means that for the 3-4 times she comes during the day is 15 dollars a pop. Staying at a kennel is cheaper but I had a horrible experience with one (and those that I worked at as a groomer I would never go to) so those are out of the question for me.

LittleRoosMommy
10-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Our neighbor's daughter comes over 1-2 times a day to take care of/play with our cat and feed the fish. We pay her $15/day. When I researched what the going rate was, I found it to be $15-20/day depending on animal, service needed, etc.
Hope this helps!

Carolanne
10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks again, all! Your responses are very helpful :mickey:.

From what I can tell, I would have been seriously overpaying her, and I'm too embarrassed to say how much!

After reading & thinking: maybe $25 a day? The sitter is going to watch our dog in her own home. We're going to drop her off the night before we leave (we have a very early flight to MCO!) and pick her up the day we get home (we get home early afternoon). That's 7 days.

stitchaholic
11-01-2009, 06:31 AM
I am paying 20.00 per day plus some groceries to have someone stay at my house and watch the zoo, 2 dogs,2 cats

Stitchahula
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
$25.00 a day seems like a good price. Make sure you leave contact info, and the name and location of your vet. No one wants to think that something will happen but dogs are known for getting into things they shouldn't. It's better to be safe than sorry.

DizNee143
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
i would pay at least $20 a day nothing lower!
i have a lady who watches my dog..not really a kennel..she works out of her house..thats where her business is..and she charges $30 a day..she is awesome! i have no worries when i bring my dog lucy there..
but with that i think the $25 your thinking is a great price..:mickey:

NJGIRL
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
My neighbor is a pet sitter and she charges $15.00 for the first animal and $5.00 per additional animals per visit. So if you had 1 dog and wanted her to come twice per day that would be $30 per day. Since it's at her home I would pay her at least $25 per day.

DisneyDog
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
My pet sitter charges $17 per 1/2 hour visit. I could never afford to use him on a vacation. My dog goes out about 6 times a day. LOL.

IloveDisney71
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
We have two cats and a dog so when we are out of town we have a pet-sitter come to the house twice a day. Our dog doesn't like to be boarded so we let her stay where she's comfortable. I think the last time we went out of town we paid $40 a day/two visits a day. We use a licensed local company. They come meet our "babies" before each trip and we feel very comfortable with their service.

MNNHFLTX
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I think $25 is probably a good idea (maybe even a little more). That this young woman is taking your dog into her own home and giving him extra attention and care--sounds like a good deal to me.

We paid our petsitter $48 dollars a day to come to our house three times daily and she was a godsend. Unfortunately she moved out of the area and now we have to find a new petsitter.