PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of the Ten Darth Vadars and the 20 Batmans

Lakin
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Once upon a time, about a year ago on a Halloween night, a young girl and her sister were going to pass out candy to Trick-or-Treaters. The mother of both girls gave the girls a package of sour candies and told them to give it to the best costume. The mother then went upstairs to scrapbook.

The girls passed out candy and passed out candy, but didn't know who to give it to! They were being hit hard with Trick-or-Treaters, but none of the costumes were original. They swore that they had seen 10 Darth Vadars and 20 Batmans. Talk about not putting any thought into it! And one of the Darth Vadars showed up ten minutes before Trick-or-Treating time when the porch light wasn't even on - the ignorance! There were also quite a few that showed up without a costume - kinda rude in their opinion.

Halloween etiquette was lacking. Many kids showed up to the door without even saying the traditional Trick-or-Treat, and didn't even say thank you after getting the candy.

True story. :-o
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that Halloween is a lot more original this year, and that etiquette picks up. :bat:

SBETigg
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
We also get teenagers who don't even bother with costumes but come to the door expecting candy! It amazes me. Actually, we live on a dark dead-end street so we hardly get anyone at all anymore. But I miss when we did, even the non-costumed teenagers. I have candy to give away!

Wall-e
10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree there are a lot of Darth Vaders and Batmen out there, but you failed mention the 20+ Cinderella's I am sure they saw as well.

Lakin
10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
We also get teenagers who don't even bother with costumes but come to the door expecting candy! It amazes me. Actually, we live on a dark dead-end street so we hardly get anyone at all anymore. But I miss when we did, even the non-costumed teenagers. I have candy to give away!

Hey, I live on a dead-end, too! Though, in my town, it's a sign that says, "Hey, my kids can't get run over by cars here since there's no traffic, so I'm gonna let my kid run around!" So we get hit a good bit.

sportsguy2315
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
We also get teenagers who don't even bother with costumes but come to the door expecting candy!

A friend of mine answered his door a couple years back to a teenage trick or treater with no costume, holding his pillowcase open waiting for treats while texting. My friend just closed the door on him.

Lakin
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
A friend of mine answered his door a couple years back to a teenage trick or treater with no costume, holding his pillowcase open waiting for treats while texting. My friend just closed the door on him.

Ugh, the nerve of some people. :mad:

magicofdisney
10-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Good for your friend.

DVC2004
11-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Most costumes at the store are chintzy and unoriginal. Although I can't sew, I do try to put together my kids costumes to make them into something more unique. So I'll take a piece of this and piece of that so to speak, buy a wig, do makeup.

Anyway, yesterday we did not have many trick or treaters at all. We still have half the candy we purchased left! Most were Transformers and princesses. We did have several teens as well and most were not dressed up in full blown costumes, but it looked like they made an attempt at least.

One year I remember a teen came to our door, not in costume, and asked my husband for a can of soda instead of candy.

SBETigg
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
We actually had a good night- all of two groups of trick-or-treaters (one more than usual!). A pirate, a cop, a Cinderella, a Spiderman, and a witch-- all little kids and so adorable and polite.

Then, my daughter's friends (teens) came over to watch Rocky Horror, and they were pretty creative with costumes. The best was the Swedish Chef. They ate anything in sight, but they were all well-behaved and thankful. Good kids.

Lakin
11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
We actually had a good night- all of two groups of trick-or-treaters (one more than usual!). A pirate, a cop, a Cinderella, a Spiderman, and a witch-- all little kids and so adorable and polite.

The little kids that come are the cutest. Funnily, trick-or-treating had just started so I was giving away one piece at a time just to make sure we didn't run out at the end, and one of the little kids was like 'She has plenty!'. LOL, apparently one just isn't enough, these days.