PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space for Dad

villavic
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm traveling with my father in december. He is 78yo, and had heart problems in the past, and sometimes got backaches, but he take cares and he is fine.

Is Mission Space green version "tame enough" for old people?

kane77
10-30-2009, 04:45 AM
My 5 year old went on the green ride, loved it but certainly at the limit at what we thought suitable. Hope this helps a little. Andrew

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm going to say don't let him go on it. Just because my dad too had heart problems in the past. He is 68 years old and he won't ride this ride (just in case).
To be on the safe side I would just skip it. I'm not sure of the green ride because I never did that one yet.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-30-2009, 08:26 AM
My Mom, who is just about 65 loved the Green Mission Space, in fact, I think it was just about her favourite ride at all of Disney.

That being said, I don't want to say that 100% your Dad would be fine, but it is possible that he'd enjoy it as much as my Mom did.

MidnTPK
10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
There's nothing physically demanding about the green side.....in most car rides on a highway people endure far stronger physical forces.

On the green side, the ride cab is tilted to give some sensation of the g-forces one would feel if one were being launched into space. Nothing more happens than being tilted from an upright sitting position, to horizontal sitting position....like lying in bed (but with your legs in the air).

But the manipulation of the environment around you makes the ride seem very believable.

Now if senility or dementia is part of the issue, I'd be more worried about having him get a bit claustrophobic in the enclosed space of the ride simulator.

CanadianWDWFan
10-30-2009, 09:59 AM
My Dad was 70 when he rode it. He has heart problems and vertigo. We tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't listen. He was fine with his heart issues afterwards but the vertigo knocked him out for the day. We told him not to do it!!:D

The Green Team should be fine. There is nothing too strenuous on it.

garymacd
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Don't forget about the claustrophobic effects of the ride. If your dad is very claustrophobic, he may panic and that may not be good for him.

As Brian said, vertigo is also a problem. My beloved wife suffers from vestibular problems and the Green Team ride kinda ruined her day. She wasn't sick, just loopy for the rest of the day. She wouldn't even consider the Orange Team ride, and will not attempt either ride again. But she can say she did it once and enjoyed it.

tundramom
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
I would vote no. Less because of the heart issues, more because of the stimulation. At his age not only is his vestibular system a little rusty, so are his visual-ocular response and vestibulo-ocular response systems. Visual-ocular response is the ability to hold your gaze steady during head movements, and vestibular-ocular responses produce eye movements to compensate for head movements perceived by the vestibular (inner ear) system.
Between the moving environment and perception/stimulation to the vestibular system, even in green mode, odds are he could end up a litle:sick:.

TinkerBell-Bell
10-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I haven't ridden it since they created the two teams, so I can't really say whether it would be alright for him or not. Perhaps you should get him to check with his doctor beforehand. Is it a ride that he is desperate to go on? If not perhaps you should just be on the safe side and give it a miss.

wdwfansince75
10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
The last time (so far) that I rode MS was on my 67th birthday. I rode the Orange version, and had no difficulties....But I have no history of heart problems....It is a great and unique experience, but it is just a ride. There are lots of other experiences at WDW. Unless he really insists, I would caution against anyone with heart and back problems from doing it.
On the other hand, if he insists on EE, RnRC, and such, and experiences no difficulty, I do not believe the Green version would present a problem.

CleveRocks
10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
My Dad was 72 when he rode Mission:Space back when it had only one version, the original, the one that spins, the one that's now Orange team.

Like I said, he was 72. He had a heart attack when he was in his 40's. And when he rode Mission:Space, he was vacationing in-between chemotherapy cycles.

HE LOVED IT. HE RODE IT TWICE. While my mother waited outside.

A few months later, I rode it. I loved it, but it made me feel sick for about 1 hour afterwards ... I should've known better because anything that spins makes me feel sick (when I ride with my kids on the Teacups I feel sick and want to call out for my Mommy!), but I loved the thrill aspects of the ride.

Anyway, I called my father later than night to tell him I did Mission:Space and felt sick for a while but otherwise loved it. My Dad, who loved me very much and remember, was doing chemotherapy at the time he rode it, called me a wimp as only a loving Dad can!

Twice since then I've done Green team (the tame, non-spinning version) and I felt no ill-effects whatsoever.

As for the OP's father ... I think asking his doctor is the best bet. And if the doctor doesn't know, then the OP should PM tundramom and ask her if she's a neuro-optometrist or something!

Giggy
10-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Age on its own shouldn't be too much of a problem if he is (for the most part) fit and healthy. When we last went there was no Team Green but I am lead to believe it is not particularly intense. If he is able to ride most of the rides at WDW then Team Green should be fine.

Team Orange it is tough to say. There are stories on here of older people and people who sometimes get motion sickness having no problem and enjoying it. There are stories of relatively young people feeling ill afterwards. Perhaps (as was suggested on an earlier thread) it comes down to how well people follow the instructions such as facing the front at all times, perhaps it's just luck of the draw.

In conclusion I don't think Team Green whould be a problem and at the very least this should be ok. It is difficult to say about Team Orange as the forces involved are completely different. If you are unsure then (as has been said) he could discuss it with his doctor.

ChipDale2708
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
It all depends on the individual - but my 81 year old Mom just rode the Green Team in October and said "That's it?"! She was expecting a lot more but still loved it.

villavic
11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks everybody. Yes, it finally depends on each individual, but right now my choose would be no. I guess I'll try it, but not let him. He is not claustrophobic, but anyway he still has some blood pressure issues sometimes, and it's better to avoid any risk.

LudwigVonDrake
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
The tame side is really nothing but if you have ANY doubts just don't let him do it. I'd rather err on the side of safety,

pamickeys
11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
we just rode with 2 ladies in their mid 70's and they had a blast

villavic
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
we just rode with 2 ladies in their mid 70's and they had a blast

Sorry, I'm peruvian and english is not my native language. What did you mean? Did the ladies were fine? enjoyed?

BigThunderFan
11-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Sorry, I'm peruvian and english is not my native language. What did you mean? Did the ladies were fine? enjoyed?

Yes, this means they enjoyed it. :)

Scar
11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I'm peruvian and english is not my native language. What did you mean? Did the ladies were fine? enjoyed?Sí, las mujeres estuvieron bien y les gustó esto mucho. Su padre estara bien con el verde.

Yo estoy aprendiendo Espanol y tengo que usarlo cuando yo puedo. :D

pamickeys
11-04-2009, 02:47 PM
yes they had a wonderful time and the stress of the ride was nothing to be alarmed about,they were just fine.